What exactly is Energy Star Package? Window World..

6,670 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by KDubAg
KDubAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tried to do some Google searches but can not find much info.

I got some quotes from window companies and one thing Window World charges is $79/window for Energy Star Package (as an option) or $59 for Value Plus Package. That's an additional $869

If the windows are double pane windows with Low E glass and argon gas in between, what am I paying $79/window for Energy Star Package for? Just so that I can get a certified piece of paper that these are Energy Star windows?

I plan on calling WW, but just wanted to hear from people here to in case they try to sell me some BS reason why on the phone.
blumpkin
AG
Probably a better rated caulk. $869 worth of it.
KDubAg
AG
Better caulking, right. Lol

Sounded like you have three options...

1. My assumption, double glass with no Low E and no gas (which would be dumb)

2. Value Plus Package - has gas and minimal Low E layer (if that's possible)

3. Energy Star Package - has gas and more Low E layer (Sounds better, but is there actually a difference?).

Who knows. $20 more per window between the two..
Dr. Doctor
AG
Not sure, but get the specs on each window. I would say the difference is either in materials (low E or gas) or installation.

If materials, easy to quantify. If installation, eh...little harder.

Could ask if they are all installed the same (moisture barriers, caulk, tape, etc.) or if those have a difference.

Just my thoughts.

~egon
Lone Stranger
You can find info on the quantitative specs you want to find out here at the National Fenestration Council.

http://www.nfrc.org/WindowRatings/

That will help you determine how much difference there is in the ratings of the units instead of using qualitative terms like low-e, etc.
Belton Ag
AG
Energy Star is an independent third party label that most window manufacturers belong to. The energy star sticker basically states that the window meets a certain standard. Used to be that there were certain tax breaks that went along with buying energy star products.

When it comes to windows, the thing that matters most is going to be U Factor and solar heat gain coefficient (SHGC). Find out what those are, the lower the number the better.

When it comes to replacement windows, much of this is a bit of a gimmick and not worth the extra money. It costs about $5 per window to add argon gas and another $5-10 to add low-e. You definitely want that stuff, but it may be that you are paying for the energy star sticker alone and the other packages offer the same U factors and SHGC.
KDubAg
AG
After talking and looking at the brochure which the guy forgot to give me (otherwise I probably wouldn't have asked). All the Window World windows when you buy in Texas come with Low E and argon gas. However the different between the two is the amount of Low E that is introduce to the glass is self.

The Value Plus has minimal Low E properties versus the Energy Star has more Low E content on the glass.

Thanks for the info peps
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.