Latex paint on oil based

5 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mneisch
mneisch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So a previous owner of our house decided to paint all the trim with latex paint over top the existing oil based paint. We now have a wonderful snakeskin like shedding going on that I get to deal with. I have managed to fix the trim in a couple different rooms, but it is a very manual process of sanding by hand. Is there a chemical stripper or something that could do the work for me? I was thinking about just going over it with Kilz primer, but that would leave some pretty noticeable patterns where the paint "height" isn't even (if that makes sense).
Texas Ag Mom
What a mess. A mouse sander might work better than sanding by hand or at least speed up the process.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I have the same issue. I'm planning on using a heat gun over spring break next year when I repaint.
mneisch
AG
I've read about using a heat gun or steamer, wondering if anyone has first hand experience.
AgResearch
AG
hablas espanol? Sounds like a job for a crew of hourly workers.
AgBank
AG
mneisch said:

I've read about using a heat gun or steamer, wondering if anyone has first hand experience.
Someone broke a window in my 1920s house. I decided to paint the window since I was already replacing the trim. I used a heat gun to help with the old glaze, but it worked even better for the old paint. It worked extremely well for me, but I only used it on a single window.
Koko Chingo
AG
You can take it all of with a heat gun, scraper, and wire brushwork corners and other tight spots. Get one that adjusts temperature versus a high and low setting.

There are chemical options but I have had nasty luck with raised grain
DamageDone
AG
I had this and lightly sanded the latex and painted over it with oil based
The Fife
A heat gun works pretty well. In the 500-600 degree range it's enough to get the paint but not enough to vaporize the lead if the paint has any.
Kenneth_2003
AG
The Fife said:

A heat gun works pretty well. In the 500-600 degree range it's enough to get the paint but not enough to vaporize the lead if the paint has any.
OP...
What's the age of the home in question?

And to your issue. Sometimes I just want to strangle the average DIY'er. I'm sure we've all been at the store, seen someone and just thought, "Man the next person to own your place is going to hate you."
The Fife
Kenneth_2003 said:

The Fife said:

OP...
What's the age of the home in question?

And to your issue. Sometimes I just want to strangle the average DIY'er. I'm sure we've all been at the store, seen someone and just thought, "Man the next person to own your place is going to hate you."
I am absolutely sure that whoever bought our last house, or more likely their contractor, would hate me because it would take an act of god to take up the tile that I installed in the second floor bathroom. It was all backbuttered and put down on top of 1/2" Durock that I installed exactly to the letter how it is supposed to be done. Modified thinset used underneath too.

On the other hand, whoever installed bathroom tile for the previous owners of the place we live in now, I think they're great. Easiest tearout I've ever done!
mneisch
AG
It's mid 70s per CAD.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.