Woodworking projects

1,779 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by agrams
agrams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is kind of a repeat from my thread on the outdoor forum, but I know a lot of HI peeps don't venture over there:

More humidors: Walnut burl and ebony trim:

I did a cutout pattern on the bottom to help flow around and humidity packs in the bottom and increase surface area of spanish cedar in the humidor. I will play with the patterns some, but I like the idea and think it adds a cool visual touch:

Quilted maple with walnut trim:

Oak and turquoise, but this one got turned in to a watch/jewelry box. The wood was from a root stump on a tree I milled up. I had cut the piece up to put in the firewood pile, but thought I liked the grain enough once I noticed it that I cut the piece in to 1/16" thick veneers and backed them with solid oak to make the box. All lined with aromatic cedar:

A few blanket chests for some friends kids, engraved with their first name initial. Pecan lined with spanish cedar:

I made two cedar boxes that mount on runners on the inside, but made them just long enough and tall enough that you could turn them sideways, put them in the bottom, or just one in the bottom and one on top and they slide above/below one another:

And a work in progress walnut slab desktop. This will be a simple piece with a metal base, but the wood has some great character:

I am starting on a pecan home office next, and then some more slab tables/desks are up after that along with the mountain of christmas gifts. I ordered some cool veneers I am going to make some watch boxes/humidors with that should be pretty slick.
Dr.Rumack
Awesome work!
powerbiscuit
Hwy30East
Love the work agrams, very impressive. Are the blanket chest your own design, or some other plans?
agrams
AG
30, those are my own designs. But blanket chests are pretty straightforward, so nothing too unique about them. I did come up with the idea of the tray functionality, and it doesn't show, but the pneumatic actuators are soft close, so if you just let the lid free fall close it slows it down and takes 5-8 seconds for the lid to close. That way the kids (both <5) don't slam their fingers. They also have uniquely keyed locks for the lids.
aezmvp
Gorgeous stuff.
04.arch.ag
AG
Is the oak and turquoise jewelry box for sale or did you make it for some one. Would be very interested
ENG
AG
I posted this on a thread in Outdoors, would like your thoughts.

Any interest in this or suggestions what to do with this if anything at all.

It's on family land west of Fort Worth. It's growing on a medium sized post oak

agrams
AG
04, that turquoise box is sold. I am going to try and do some other pieces of the same style, as that piece has gotten a lot of requests. I do have a few more pieces from that same tree, but that box probably got the best of the grain character.

eng, that is a pretty gnarly burl. You could do a lot of things with that wood, from possibly cutting some slabs for end tables/coffee tables (end grain oak drying is tricky, it is a very crack prone wood) to humidors/bowls/etc. If I had my thoughts about it, I would probably take a few cuts for some bowls, then take a few slats 1-2" thick and dry those out to make some veneer for boxes or other projects.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.