New Home - New Front Door

1,743 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by bedofbrass33
bedofbrass33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just bought a house 2 weeks ago that needs some work. Looking at replacing the front door. It is all wood and has hairline cracks completely through in a couple places.

I'm wanting to go with a pre-hung, heavy duty steel door preferably in a steel frame that lends itself to not being kicked in. I'd also like to add some type of door jamb armor as I'm installing.

I don't deal drugs but I do have a small firearm collection that doesn't need to get onto the streets.

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on where to look? Google gets me sliding glass doors, stairwell pushbar doors and everything else.
Long Live Sully
AG
Take a look at DW. Most lumber yards I know of carry their doors. Consider buying the slab and not prehung. You are in for a load of extra work removing the existing jamb.

DW Doors
greenman99
AG
Search for iron doors instead of steel and if you get outswing they would have to kick the entire door and frame in. The frames are " iron" also so in swing is very stout with the lock set throwing into the frame.
The Fife
To be honest your best bet is probably a good safe. There are a number of other ways that are less obvious to gain entry besides the front door.
Aggietaco
AG
Masonite, Jeldwen, and a number of other manufacturers all have steel residential door options. If you are going to a hollow metal frame, there is no need to add any additional jamb armor protection. HM doors and frames are not typically sold as pre-hung since the frame prep must be done to match the hardware in a shop type setting versus on site with some hole saws and drill bits.

Your best bet will be to call around to local door and hardware suppliers. Since I don't know where you are, I'll recommend Hull Supply in Austin.

Lowes and HD do both sell prehung steel door options with some sort of wood/metal composite or straight wood frames.
bedofbrass33
AG
Cow Hop Ag said:

Take a look at DW. Most lumber yards I know of carry their doors. Consider buying the slab and not prehung. You are in for a load of extra work removing the existing jamb.

DW Doors

Will take a look, thanks! Videos I watched didn't seem too bad. Pull trim, sawzall existing nails, remove, dry fit new door, caulk bottom, fit, shim, screw into place, replace trim. Are there steps I'm missing?
bedofbrass33
AG
greenman99 said:

Search for iron doors instead of steel and if you get outswing they would have to kick the entire door and frame in. The frames are " iron" also so in swing is very stout with the lock set throwing into the frame.

These look awesome. Trying to decide if the scrilla is worth it for my LOL $135k house.
bedofbrass33
AG
The Fife said:

To be honest your best bet is probably a good safe. There are a number of other ways that are less obvious to gain entry besides the front door.

Safe is already in place with a large German Shepherd on guard. However, call me paranoid but I'd like to make my house more hassle than the one down the street.

Windows are double pane hurricane already. Back sliding glass door will have to go because it's almost worn out. New garage doors will happen since the current wood ones are starting to decay. What else should I look at?
bedofbrass33
AG
Aggietaco said:

Masonite, Jeldwen, and a number of other manufacturers all have steel residential door options. If you are going to a hollow metal frame, there is no need to add any additional jamb armor protection. HM doors and frames are not typically sold as pre-hung since the frame prep must be done to match the hardware in a shop type setting versus on site with some hole saws and drill bits.

Your best bet will be to call around to local door and hardware suppliers. Since I don't know where you are, I'll recommend Hull Supply in Austin.

Lowes and HD do both sell prehung steel door options with some sort of wood/metal composite or straight wood frames.

Located in League City. I'll ask around about the metal f Ames. Didn't realize there weren't usually prehung.
bedofbrass33
AG
This door seems to be what I want. Need to measure rough opening of current door. Am I too far off the mark?

http://m.homedepot.com/p/L-I-F-Industries-32-in-x-80-in-6-Panel-Steel-Gray-Security-Commercial-Door-with-Hardware-UKSP3280R/202516077
The Fife
bedofbrass33 said:

The Fife said:

Safe is already in place with a large German Shepherd on guard. However, call me paranoid but I'd like to make my house more hassle than the one down the street.

Windows are double pane hurricane already. Back sliding glass door will have to go because it's almost worn out. New garage doors will happen since the current wood ones are starting to decay. What else should I look at?
Impact rated windows would be impressive, I haven't seen a lot of those outside of barrier islands or a few miles inland.

I'd hit up the OB for ideas on a safe regardless of how the rest of the house is set up for proper storage and preventing access to kids. It's something I wish we had but there just wasn't room for one. Now I look at our 7 month and think, where would he never, EVER think to look for the next 18 years or so, and what I have would hardly be described as a collection.
JP76
bedofbrass33 said:

The Fife said:

What are you going to put in place of the sliding glass door ?

Ag In Texas
AG
Check out a company called Durango Doors. They have some nice forged steel doors at decent prices.
bedofbrass33
AG
JP76 said:

What are you going to put in place of the sliding glass door ?

Not entirely sure yet. Leaning toward double doors/ French doors? and then double steel bar security doors over.
bedofbrass33
AG
Ag In Texas said:

Check out a company called Durango Doors. They have some nice forged steel doors at decent prices.

Their showrooms all appear to be appointment only. Not sure I have the funds for that high level of quality
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.