Metal Building/Shop in Backyard

4,262 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 07Texag
EvenPar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We have roughly 2 acres and looking to have a shop or metal building constructed behind our house. Looking for some recommendations for the BCS area. Builder/Contractor would need to handle excavation, concrete, construction, electricity. Also, what price per sf could we expect on a good better best scale? Thanks.
Mom Class of '03,'05 and '09
S
50 big ones AT LEAST for total build like that in Waco 20x40 I think was our size
OnlyForNow
AG
We bought a house with one, would reccomend the builder though. Morton Buildings
Corps_Ag12
AG
I'd run with $25/SF and go from there.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Mom Class of '03,'05 and '09 said:

50 big ones AT LEAST for total build like that in Waco 20x40 I think was our size

I hope that was a finished out with interiors price and not a shell building.
EvenPar
AG
wow 50k for a 800sf bldg. That seems pretty steep. Hopefully that's on the high side...
uncover&humpit
AG
I built a 30x40 Mueller kit building for about $20,000 including concrete and labor to erect the building. The Mueller kits come with everything except the anchor bolts for the foundation, those run $50-$100 extra. I did the electrical myself so that probably saved my about $2500 or more. My building has 12 ft eaves, 2 walk doors, 4 windows and 1 roll up door and an insulated roof. Mueller is a quality product and they don't cut corners. The best prices on these types of buildings are on the pre-engineered, kit buildings. Custom building can easily add 25% or more to the price.
Muzzleblast
https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2815664

Read this.

Way too many scammers in that business.

Has a link to the metal building local scam artists.

Good luck with your build.
Mom Class of '03,'05 and '09
S
I will say this...my in laws chose Mueller to build a huge steel building on their property in 1989-90. Iron frame, on slab, fully insulated, two double wide roll doors, one walk door, one window in cabin, two room cabin with bath in one end(they finished the cabin but slab was poured with plumbing in place). The build was done by Mueller chosen builder. Ten plus years later there was rust and corrosion(some of the screws were breaking away) and black mold on insulation. Mueller reps came and inspected the entire building as well as the inside cabin.

The contracted builder put the insulation too low along the walls and it acted as a wick, drawing rainwater up between building and insulation. Mueller didn't hesitate to do the right thing and then some! They paid for a crew and POD to completely unload the garage, completely dismantled the building cut away all wall insulation, replaced insulation and added additional where needed, rebuilt garage with new steel siding, crew brought entire contents back into garage to my fil's satisfaction. New complete warranty!

This thing I think was 60x30 and Mueller even asked if they wanted to change the color of the steel and my mil said, "I would have to repaint the doors on the house if I did that so no, keep it like it is!"
The Original AG 76
AG
uncover&humpit said:

I built a 30x40 Mueller kit building for about $20,000 including concrete and labor to erect the building. The Mueller kits come with everything except the anchor bolts for the foundation, those run $50-$100 extra. I did the electrical myself so that probably saved my about $2500 or more. My building has 12 ft eaves, 2 walk doors, 4 windows and 1 roll up door and an insulated roof. Mueller is a quality product and they don't cut corners. The best prices on these types of buildings are on the pre-engineered, kit buildings. Custom building can easily add 25% or more to the price.
Does Mueller have some recommended contractors in BCS to do a turnkey job ?
jtp01
AG
I would suggest adding about 25% larger than you think you will need. I've got a nice 2400 sq. Ft. insulated shop at my house. I'll be addin on this spring. The shop was here when we bought, but by the time you finish out a bathroom and took room,with a loft, it gets pretty small when I pull in to change the oil.

I use my shop for welding and woodworking side jobs and have lots of large tools/equipment so that certainly makes my shop feel smaller than it actually is.
07Texag
AG
Call Doug Smith with Capital Construction (979) 571-9088. He is located in BCS and a good guy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.