New Homeowner yard

2,132 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Cromagnum
canadianAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just closed on our first house yesterday and am looking for advice on the yard. House is in katy. Grass is st Augustine. Front yard is in prettt good shape so looking for best way to maintain. Back yard definitely needs some work with weeds (I think broadleaf but can get a picture today or tomorrow). Any advice on clearing up the back?
Satellite of Love
Look up Randy Lemmon's schedule and that should get you on your way!
Kenneth_2003
AG
+1 On looking up, getting on, and following Randy's schedule.

Now... Questions...
What's your budget? How "fast" do you want the backyard looking good? Obviously this winter is out, but do you want perfection by Summer or is "looks remarkably better than now this time next year" more your speed?

For this winter, depending on how severe it gets mow as needed until the first frost/freeze puts the St. A into dormancy. Then in the early spring, you'll want to hit the yard with a pre-emergent herbicide to take care of the summer weeds before they come up. Some here fret over winter and spring weeds, but I really don't fret over them. Winter and springtime weeds have a definite upper temp range that they just won't tolerate and they'll die off on their own. Additionally they won't be huge fans of being mowed regularly as the St. A breaks dormancy.

I'd say get on Randy's fertilizer and watering schedules then the most important thing you can do is let the grass grow tall and mow it high and often. Do that, get the turf good and thick, and you won't have to worry about annual weeds in the future. They will not punch through a dense turf.
canadianAg
AG
Weed #1

Weed #2

I would like to get it atleast somewhat under control soon if possible vs waiting until summer

Also, I noticed Randy has to fertilize in October/November. Am I too late for that and is there any risk if I do it since I don't know if the previous owner has already fertilized?
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Spray with a broadleaf weed killer available at any box store.
The Original AG 76
AG
Troutslime said:

Spray with a broadleaf weed killer available at any box store.

Make sure it is a cold weather herbicide. The box stores are notoriously bad for having out the wrong product. Many products do not work at temps above 80-90.
Re: fertilizer... it's never too late to do the right thing. Absolutely put out a good winterizer. This application is prollybthe most important of them all
Cromagnum
AG
Dunno what that first one is but the second one is dandelion.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.