DIY Garage Shelves ideas

2,875 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 62strat
gigemJTH12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have some? I want to do wall mounted. Curious to see what you have.

I am looking at building something similar to this:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to-plans/how-to/g2530/how-to-build-garage-storage-shelves-for-cheap/
Dr. Doctor
AG
These are mine. I used 3/4" BC plywood, cut into 16" strips and a 2"x12" board that I acquired (I asked) from houses being built in my neighborhood. It was originally a 30' board, cut to length needed. The triangles are a 1"x10" WP board I bought. Predrilled holes for the triangles and a few for the larger board.

The large board was mostly drilled once partially tacked on the wall (needed help from friend).

The corner shelf is the same idea as the other shelves, I just cut into squares (about 18" I think). I had 2 2"x8" board I put as supports. Cut a 2"x4" into long-ish blocks as supports for the shelves. Cut a corner off as to not impale your organs if you hit it. Good for storing paint and other auto stuff in an unused corner.

~egon
Olag00
AG

I need to add shelves/cabinets on the front side of the gararge where the vehicles are facing but haven't come up with the final design.
UnderoosAg
AG
This probably ain't the direction you're looking for, but I took these (disregard the price, Lowe's site generally sucks, I think they were $6-8)

https://www.lowes.com/pd/The-Hillman-Group-Strong-Shelf-Bracket/4483958

and attached a piece of 2x3 to the top. The 2x3 is cut longer than the bracket to make up some length. On the larger ones, I think I used an 18" 2x3 on a 12" long bracket. The shelves themselves were then three 1x4' or 1x6's. The shelves for coolers, storage boxes, etc. have the bigger gaps.

FYI, if you ever use a shelf bracket like that, get a 12" extension or 12" long screwdriver bit. The bottom hole is almost directly behind the angled support. If you try and drive a 3-1/2" screw into a stud at that angle you will strip the ever living F out of it. Works great for the first 3", then goes to 5hit (insert joke here).
Kenneth_2003
AG
Don't have any pictures with me, but in my "work" areas I've covered the sheetrock with 1/2" plywood. If I ever get the opportunity to build a home from scratch I'll have the whole garage sheathed with plywood rather than sheetrock. I especially like being able to hang lawn & garden tools as well as large hand tools that don't fit in the tool box (squares, hammer, C-Clamps, chisels, hand saws, etc) where I feel they fit best and not having to use pegs. I hang them with either 4c or 6c finishing nails.

It just adds a lot more flexibility for adding shelves and hanging items on the wall when you're not married to finding a stud. All of my shelves are like Dr. Doctor's above. Though most of mine are braced with store bought brackets rather than building wooden ones.
aezmvp
Kenneth_2003 said:

Don't have any pictures with me, but in my "work" areas I've covered the sheetrock with 1/2" plywood. If I ever get the opportunity to build a home from scratch I'll have the whole garage sheathed with plywood rather than sheetrock. I especially like being able to hang lawn & garden tools as well as large hand tools that don't fit in the tool box (squares, hammer, C-Clamps, chisels, hand saws, etc) where I feel they fit best and not having to use pegs. I hang them with either 4c or 6c finishing nails.

It just adds a lot more flexibility for adding shelves and hanging items on the wall when you're not married to finding a stud. All of my shelves are like Dr. Doctor's above. Though most of mine are braced with store bought brackets rather than building wooden ones.
With that, how are you handling off gasses from the garage? Are you sealing the plywood and plastering (or similar) the seams?
UnderoosAg
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

I especially like being able to hang lawn & garden tools as well as large hand tools that don't fit in the tool box (squares, hammer, C-Clamps, chisels, hand saws, etc) where I feel they fit best and not having to use pegs. I hang them with either 4c or 6c finishing nails.

A friend of mine went whole hog and got the garage organization stuff from Lowes. He's got the rails that go across all the walls from which hang tall cabinets, short cabinets, hooks, etc. Spent a fortune on it. For garden tools and bigger stuff, I stuck a couple of 2x4's horizontally on the wall parallel to each other about 12" apart. Stuck a bunch of the different sized cheap screw hooks into those to hang stuff. I've rearranged things a few times when I added stuff, and just moved the hooks over.

The real solution to storage issues is to throw away all the junk and buy a house with a three car garage.
62strat
AG
UnderoosAg said:

The real solution to storage issues is to throw away all the junk and buy a house with a three car garage.

I have a 3.5 car garage, and I still decided to build a shed to open up the third space. I don't care how big the garage is, I don't like a bunch of crap cluttered on the ground.
I have all seasonal storage above the third door and along exterior edge. All in Tupperware bins.
I have three shelves in the 'half' area ranging from 4'-6'. One is all hats. One is winter boots and child carrying backpack thingys, the other one is skis, snowboard, ski boots and a few odds and ends.
I have a single shelf dedicated for the patio cushion furniture storage box.
I have an 8'x8' area (two 4x8 osb sheets) up in the rafters with random crap I don't access often.
Another 4' shelf with odds and ends all in Tupperware bins.
Then more stuff on top of my upper cabinets and boxes of diapers and wipes on top of the beer fridge.
Then a 6' counter top on base cabinets which is usually clear except for my 5 drawer tool box.
3 ladders all on the wall on hooks, and a double stroller, jogger, and umbrella stroller all on hooks as well.

Man I do have a lot of crap.
will.mcg
AG
Shelves built out of 1x4s along the walls on either side of the garage hold a lot of crap.
FTAG 2000
AG
Dr. Doctor said:

These are mine. I used 3/4" BC plywood, cut into 16" strips and a 2"x12" board that I acquired (I asked) from houses being built in my neighborhood. It was originally a 30' board, cut to length needed. The triangles are a 1"x10" WP board I bought. Predrilled holes for the triangles and a few for the larger board.

The large board was mostly drilled once partially tacked on the wall (needed help from friend).

The corner shelf is the same idea as the other shelves, I just cut into squares (about 18" I think). I had 2 2"x8" board I put as supports. Cut a 2"x4" into long-ish blocks as supports for the shelves. Cut a corner off as to not impale your organs if you hit it. Good for storing paint and other auto stuff in an unused corner.

~egon

Awesome suggestion on the corner shelves. Been looking at my garage trying to find some more space, staring at the corners thinking I needed to do something there.

Thanks again for the suggestion!
Lobster Twins
AG
I like this Ana White demo. May do that at my moms house if I ever get around to it. Simple and cheap.

Kenneth_2003
AG
aezmvp said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

With that, how are you handling off gasses from the garage? Are you sealing the plywood and plastering (or similar) the seams?
Honestly, it isn't something I've given a whole lot of thought too. For starters I'm not going to be running automobiles or small engines in there for extended periods of time anyway, and likely not but for maybe a few seconds without the door open. So now you're looking at a couple of gas cans, paint, etc assuming they're not elsewhere in a shed. The walls between the garage and the home are still insulated and sealed on the living space side. Anything else just goes up and into the attic which is of course well vented.

When you go into your garage right now are you overwhelmed by vapors and fumes? I mean truthfully "finishing" a garage has only become common practice within the past 20 years or so. Really I don't think I'd worry about some fumes being able to get up and into the attic.
aezmvp
Kenneth_2003 said:

aezmvp said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

Honestly, it isn't something I've given a whole lot of thought too. For starters I'm not going to be running automobiles or small engines in there for extended periods of time anyway, and likely not but for maybe a few seconds without the door open. So now you're looking at a couple of gas cans, paint, etc assuming they're not elsewhere in a shed. The walls between the garage and the home are still insulated and sealed on the living space side. Anything else just goes up and into the attic which is of course well vented.

When you go into your garage right now are you overwhelmed by vapors and fumes? I mean truthfully "finishing" a garage has only become common practice within the past 20 years or so. Really I don't think I'd worry about some fumes being able to get up and into the attic.
About to move and several of the homes have an additional bedroom over the garage and I'd have a kid in there. So I'm just trying to think ahead.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Ahh, gotcha!

Again, I'm talking from a build from scratch idea. Since you're moving into existing construction you'll probably already have sheetrock in the garage. Of course everything surrounding living space will likely also be insulated, then you'll have the floor and some from of flooring as an additional barrier. But as long as you're not spilling gasoline, running engines with the door shut, etc regularly I don't think it would be a huge issue.

In my current home I've just covered the sheetrock with plywood behind and around my workbench.
62strat
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

Ahh, gotcha!

Again, I'm talking from a build from scratch idea. Since you're moving into existing construction you'll probably already have sheetrock in the garage. Of course everything surrounding living space will likely also be insulated, then you'll have the floor and some from of flooring as an additional barrier. But as long as you're not spilling gasoline, running engines with the door shut, etc regularly I don't think it would be a huge issue.

In my current home I've just covered the sheetrock with plywood behind and around my workbench.
My kid's bedroom is partially above our garage.. I never gave it any thought. Code requires any garage walls that share interior to be insulated and sheetrocked. Since half of my garage is sheetrocked and the other half isn't, I figure there is no way fumes will leak into his room before they take the easy way out and up into the rafters and through the roof.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.