Metal roof

1,750 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mustang6tee8
Medaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have an option of doing a metal roof vs a 30 yr 3dimensional shingle on a one story 2k sq feet home. Cost similar (9-10K). I assume the metal roof is low end version.

Its a second home, I will be there 4-6 times a year so really only care if its low maintenance and last long.

Is the metal roof the way to go? Will it last longer than the high end shingle?

Any issues I should worry about with the metal roof?
agclassof08
AG
You're probably looking at and R- or U-Panel metal, which has exposed fasteners. That would really be the only concern I would have with the metal.

You might ask how much it would cost to upgrade to a standing seam metal roof. This would have hidden fasteners and be the best bet for low maintenance and longevity.

30 year shingles are the standard now and will last 20ish years before needing replacement. But they will be more susceptible to extreme weather, or hail or wind.
rancher1953
Go with metal and you are set for your lifetime. Just look at all the old farm houses with metal roofs and how long they have lasted. Any questions about the metal roof, give any Muller Metal location a call and they can answer all questions. Also with a metal roof, you get an insurance discount.
Shelton98
AG
Tin top roof don't leak no rain.
The Fife
I'd go with metal for the peace of mind. You won't be stuck wondering if the roof leaks or needs to be swapped out after a hailstorm wherever this place is.
mustang6tee8
AG
Medaggie said:

I have an option of doing a metal roof vs a 30 yr 3dimensional shingle on a one story 2k sq feet home. Cost similar (9-10K). I assume the metal roof is low end version.

Its a second home, I will be there 4-6 times a year so really only care if its low maintenance and last long.

Is the metal roof the way to go? Will it last longer than the high end shingle?
Yes and yes.
Any issues I should worry about with the metal roof?
As always, installation and flashing details are critical. Don't settle on a shingle installer that thinks he can put on metal.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.