Best/most affordable wall material for shop or garage

1,842 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mustang6tee8
Gigemags05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What are my options for walls? Osb? Plywood? Drywall?

Anyone have any other ideas? Pros and cons?

As an aside, the structural columns are spaced at 5 ft apart. I am planning on using 1x4" running horizontal on 24" centers to hang the walls. Will that suffice?
Post removed:
by user
JP76
I like osb trimmed with cedar 1 x material for a cost effective rustic look that requires no finish coat. I have also done some garages with smart siding 4x8 sheets and it paints up nicely but it runs about $22 a sheet versus $10 for osb.
dead zip 01
AG
Unless you do metal work in there that creates sparks I would do 1/2 inch sheathing grade plywood (cdx). That will have enough structural integrity on its own to stiffen up your 1x strips and you can mount anything anywhere you want to on the wall.
62strat
AG
Sasappis said:

1/2" ply or 5/8" ply. Not the cheapest but by far the best option for a garage. Osb looks awful. Drywall can get danged and has to be finished.
I used osb and painted it white. I like the look personally. To each his own I guess.
Gigemags05
AG
I agree that the osb looks just fine and that's the way I'm leaning. It's quite a bit more affordable than the other options I have seen. I wouldn't mind using cdx, if I can work it out budget wise.

I will be doing quite a bit of metal work in one area and it will be covered with sheet metal or thin gauge plate.
mustang6tee8
AG
24 gauge prefinished metal glued to 1/2" plywood would look nice, easy to maintain, and hang lightweight items or brackets with magnets.

The metal would have to wrap around the edges of the plywood to create a nice joint.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.