Garage cabinet / organization

2,162 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by RabbleRouser07
InMyOpinion
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking at adding some cabinets to the garage. I prefer metal, Any recommendations ?

Anyone buy from HD/Lowes - Kobalt, Gladiator, others etc
I keep coming back to a brand called NewAge, anyone have this brand?

Thanks in advance
The Fife
I haven't had those before, but have had the metal kind that most people use. They're ok but sometimes I think they're too deep because tools end up behind other things after a while.
MEENag
AG
Check out the options on Costco.com.
Splitag
AG
I am in the process of building cabinets in my garage now. I considered going to gladiator route, but I had previously built cabinets in our last house and loved it. You'd be surprised how easy and inexpensive it can be, and there are lots of templates and ideas available online. You can personalize the shelf heights, and tailor your space to your storage needs. I am painting the shells and doors currently. I will post a few pictures when I finish.
n_touch
Did the same as above. I looked at all of the Craftsman type storage systems and for the price they were not worth it for me. With doing it yourself, you are able to adjust for what you need and not stuck into the stock sizes that they have. I used OSB in the garage and I think the entire wall of cabinets and the workbench was under $250. Took about 4 hours once it was all planned out.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Before buying new, you might go check out some used office furniture places and see if they have some metal cabinets with scratches or dents that aren't an issue for you. Being outside, you will scuff up a metal cabinet even if careful, so starting with some scuffs and possibly saving a little money can't hurt. I have a small cabinet in my garage that I used to have in either my home office or my business office, I can't remember. Anyway, it works well for the purpose I use it for though I wish it were bigger!
MEENag
AG
Despite sending you to Costco.com in my previous post, I did a combination of the above posters. I bought some metal office cabinets from an office surplus place and built other cabinets from plywood and 2X's.

Check out the garagejournal forums for some ideas. There is a monster garage storage thread with lots of pics.
johnrth
Check out a habitat for humanity resell store. They might have some old cabinets that you could paint or whatever.
jaggiemaggie
AG
I have the gladiator system. I purchase a cabinet when Sears has the 30x30 cabinets on sale every few months or so for $99. I also wait for hooks when they go on sale. FYI: It looks like lowes has gladiator cabinets on black friday.
samarcus
Try to customize your own design so you can maximize the space and you should consider using hardwood as part of the design.
Splitag
AG
Still trying to finish up, but here are a few pictures of my progress.

txag2008
AG
Crown molding for garage cabinets. Fancy pants
OlRock
AG
I went with IKEA and have been pleased with the result. There is a ton of options with IKEA and you can spend a lot or a little depending on preference.
Splitag
AG
txag2008 said:

Crown molding for garage cabinets. Fancy pants
haha. In my defense, I utilize what I have on hand. Notice the spare cedar 1x2 on the left. It is all getting painted anyway, but I like to dress it up if I have the materials laying around.
InMyOpinion
Looks good.

I guess I need to look at everything I need to store and come up with a plan.
RabbleRouser07
AG
Splitag,

Let's see an update already. Geez!

“I never desired to please the rabble. What pleased them, I did not learn; and what I knew was far removed from their understanding.” ~Epicurus
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.