Optimal way / time to purchase kitchen appliances

4,726 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AgBank
AgBank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I are updating the house that we recently purchased. I wanted to see if any of you had suggestions on how and when to purchase new appliances. Currently I believe I believe I will wait for the Thanksgiving / Black Friday sales.

Are there other suggestions? I haven't hired a contractor yet, but should I get the contractor to do it for me? One mentioned something about a 20% upcharge if I did.
histag10
AG
Buy on holidays. Should be a veterans day Sale coming up, and then black friday/cyber monday. And randomly check hd, lowes, bestbuy, sears, etc.

Decide what color/style/brand you want, and start from there.

Don't hire a contractor for appliances. Most places offer delivery and install for less than what a contractor will charge. Doesn't matter if you buy online or in store, delivery/install should be available either way
The Fife
I've bought them mostly from AJ Madison online. No tax, free shipping and a lower price than they're in stores on sale for anyway.
AlaskanAg08
AG
I buy quite a few appliances for our renovation company through online suppliers. For a contractor to jack up the price for you is odd...we typically pass the savings along to our customers. He shouldn't be up-charging his products, just charging you for his services.

We buy during the holiday sales, or beat up a few of our local appliance suppliers that are able to be haggled with. Even home depot has good deals online from time to time, and that has helped save money on a few projects.
agdx88
AG
Another wote for AJ Madison
mneisch
AG
Ditto AJ Madison. They had the best prices when we bought our fridge and range. As a bonus I bought both on my Chase card which offers price protection. The fridge actually dropped in price by a couple hundred due to a holiday sale like mentioned above. Filed a quick and easy claim with Chase and got a check for the difference within 2 weeks.
nhamp07
AG
Wait until HD or Lowes has a good sale and the other one will price match and beat it by 10%
aggiecody06
Look at Best Buy for open box items. Can get great deals bc a fridge has a small dent on the side that's going to be covered up anyways. You can still add warranties and all that as well. Just my two cents and what I did when we upgrades all our appliances.
aezmvp
aggiecody06 said:

Look at Best Buy for open box items. Can get great deals bc a fridge has a small dent on the side that's going to be covered up anyways. You can still add warranties and all that as well. Just my two cents and what I did when we upgrades all our appliances.
These items are negotiable with a manager at Best Buy. They DO NOT want to return these items and can write down the loss part of it because it is an open box item. Not all managers will negotiate but some will. You just have to find the right one.
histag10
AG
AlaskanAg08 said:

I buy quite a few appliances for our renovation company through online suppliers. For a contractor to jack up the price for you is odd...we typically pass the savings along to our customers. He shouldn't be up-charging his products, just charging you for his services.

We buy during the holiday sales, or beat up a few of our local appliance suppliers that are able to be haggled with. Even home depot has good deals online from time to time, and that has helped save money on a few projects.

I read it as he was thinking about hiring out a contractor ONLY for appliances, as his home has already been updated. I also wouldnt think of it as an upcharge on the product, but 20% of cost of product to purchase and install (which would be the services)
Beckdiesel03
AG
Lowes has a huge sale in November. Last year our fridge died in Oct and a week later it went on clearance. I thought lowes would be a hassle for a refund but I walked in and had my $1500 credit within 5 minutes. I now know to buy from them during their November clearance
Random Ag
AG
Have to say -1 for Texags rec and AJ Madison

Our deliver was cancelled and they cannot confirm deliver on another day until the day before. AJ Madison has been terrible to deal with - promising a phone call and then emailing after they've already closed for the day. This is delaying our renovation project and costing money to reschedule countertop templating. I will look elsewhere for refrigerator and dishwasher.
JP76
Beckdiesel03 said:

Lowes has a huge sale in November. Last year our fridge died in Oct and a week later it went on clearance. I thought lowes would be a hassle for a refund but I walked in and had my $1500 credit within 5 minutes. I now know to buy from them during their November clearance

+1

sanitariex
AG
I'm in a similar situation to OP, purchasing a house and moving in this weekend, worth it to wait another week or two and hope for a Lowe's deal on fridge? They have some on sale at the moment.
Beckdiesel03
AG
Lowes guarantees their price for 30 days so you should be good.
Agmechanic
AG
Appliancesconnection.com

No tax
Free delivery
histag10
AG
Random Ag said:

Our deliver was cancelled and they cannot confirm deliver on another day until the day before. AJ Madison has been terrible to deal with - promising a phone call and then emailing after they've already closed for the day. This is delaying our renovation project and costing money to reschedule countertop templating. I will look elsewhere for refrigerator and dishwasher.

Not everyone here recommended them. I, personally, hate ordering appliances online and having them delivered (mainly because no one delivers to my area).
AgBank
AG
Looks like Homedepot, Lowes, AJ all started Black Friday sales today.

-AB.

I will let you know if I learn something. Thank you all for the recommendations.
AgBank
AG
I wanted to describe the results of my search although the wife and I haven't pulled the trigger yet. This is what we decided that we want:

GE 36 in. Gas Cooktop in Stainless Steel with 5 Burners including 2 Precise Simmer Burners
Model # JGP633SETSS
GE 30 in. Double Electric Wall Oven Self-Cleaning with Steam in Stainless Steel
Model # JT3500SFSS
Samsung 22.6 cu. ft. 4-Door French Door Refrigerator in Stainless Steel, Counter Depth
Model # RF24FSEDBSR
GE Top Control Dishwasher in Stainless Steel with Steam Cleaning
Model # GDT545PSJSS

It is typical that I determine a feature or a level of quality, sort by price and pick the first with a recognizable brand. Most of my research has been online and visiting Home Depot. The cook top I have not actually put my hands on / seen in person. If you see an eye sore in the group, please let me know. It is my first time buying kitchen appliances.

The results of comparing the suggestions that you all provided using my sample above include the following:

(Rank from cheapest to most expensive)
1. Appliances Connection - $4,132 - $84 (GE discount) - $100 (Samsung mail in rebate) = $4,038
2. AJ Madison $4,446 - $100 (Samsung mail in rebate) = $4,346
3. Home Depot - $4,614 - $100 (Samsung mail in rebate) + $386 = $4,900
4. Lowes $4,915 + $412 (tax) = $5,327

Returns and shipping seem pretty similar although I haven't skimmed Lowe's policy. Also, Lowes didn't have the exact refrigerator model, so I included something similar for comparison purposes.
The Fife
From what I've read there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of love with Samsung fridges, maybe due to the icemaker? It's early, I can't remember if that's something I read here or somewhere else.
Courtesy Flush
AG
I had a really nice 36" gas stove and electric oven. I always thought that it took the oven too long to pre-heat. I believe that 36" is probably the biggest on the market because even the large 48" stove/oven combos have dual ovens. I always thought the dual ovens stacked one on top of the other would be a good option for a 36" oven. It is just a lot of space to heat.
AgBank
AG
Thank you Fife. Ironically I chose Samsung partially due to Prior TexAgs HI post.

It seems like I recall someone talking about fridge problems when they had to recall the Note 7.

Edit: Actually, it was Samsung's washing machines with the problem, not their fridge.
AgBank
AG
Rufneck said:

I had a really nice 36" gas stove and electric oven. I always thought that it took the oven too long to pre-heat. I believe that 36" is probably the biggest on the market because even the large 48" stove/oven combos have dual ovens. I always thought the dual ovens stacked one on top of the other would be a good option for a 36" oven. It is just a lot of space to heat.
Yes. I understand that duel fuel is the way to go, but I also have a chef friend who mentioned that gas ovens can be good for baking. Although for nearly the same price as a duel fuel range, you could get a gas cooktop and an electric double oven.
The Fife
AgBank said:

Thank you Fife. Ironically I chose Samsung partially due to Prior TexAgs HI post.

It seems like I recall someone talking about fridge problems when they had to recall the Note 7.

Edit: Actually, it was Samsung's washing machines with the problem, not their fridge.
After a couple commuter mugs of coffee I remember now, it was complaints about a lack of software updates and a general lack of support on their IOT fridges. As much as those things cost I have no idea who's buying one to begin with.
Aggietaco
AG
Worth noting that you should be able to stack discounts on the blue and orange pricing. Check ebay for coupons. If you want to go through the hassle, you can usually also save another ~5% buy purchasing gift cards and using those to make the purchase. And before you buy anywhere, either chat with an online rep at the stores without B&M locations or go into the store and see what else they can do. I've had good luck with the store associates helping out a bit with the final pricing.
AgBank
AG
The Fife said:

AgBank said:

After a couple commuter mugs of coffee I remember now, it was complaints about a lack of software updates and a general lack of support on their IOT fridges. As much as those things cost I have no idea who's buying one to begin with.
Yes. Agreed, that reminds me of old vehicle nav systems. It seems a bad idea to buy an early generation IOT for such an expensive appliance.
Gary79Ag
AG
Aggietaco said:

Worth noting that you should be able to stack discounts on the blue and orange pricing. Check ebay for coupons. If you want to go through the hassle, you can usually also save another ~5% buy purchasing gift cards and using those to make the purchase. And before you buy anywhere, either chat with an online rep at the stores without B&M locations or go into the store and see what else they can do. I've had good luck with the store associates helping out a bit with the final pricing.
Plus Lowe's will honor their on-line moving discount of 10%. Worked for us when we bought our appliances!
62strat
AG
I've had quite a few problems with my 3 year old Samsung French door. I would not buy them again.
Mom Class of '03,'05 and '09
S
We had a bottom freezer Samsung and I loved it! One month later the freezer fan went out...it had been a floor model at Best Buy and the repair guy said there isn't water hooked up so people playing with it, locking/unlocking the ice maker caused the issue. Samsung sent him the part a week later and we were still very happy. Five or so years later something else went wrong and the entire cooling system needed to be replaced and it was no longer under warranty....NO MORE SAMSUNG!
03_Aggie
Random Ag said:

Why is it delaying templating? Most all appliances have their manuals online with all of the specs.

I had a similar experience in that they ordered the wrong configuration on a custom order. Took some back and forth but we eventually came to an agreeable resolution.

I was worried about it slowing down our remodel but our contractor took the specs out of the book and went on about his business.
Random Ag
AG
The countertop place we used required appliances to be on site for templating and this was listed in our signed contract. It was only delayed a week and ended up working out fine - the countertop place was excellent to deal with - super professional, organized and excellent work so I can't blame them.

The other appliances we ordered from Lowe's arrived Saturday:
LG Refrigerator LFXS29626S
Kitchen Aid Dishwasher KDTE254ESS

The delivery company Lowe's used was complete opposite, arrived when they said they would, called in advance, and really worked hard to get our appliances into the kitchen (lifted the fridge above the countertops). Someone I know in Chicago had a similar experience with HHGregg as I had with AJ Madison - may be your location in relation to these online places that makes the difference. I know it was nice to be able to call a store and speak to local person about where my order was in the system - Lowe's has tremendously extended hours compared to AJMadison.
62strat
AG
Random Ag said:

The countertop place we used required appliances to be on site for templating and this was listed in our signed contract. It was only delayed a week and ended up working out fine - the countertop place was excellent to deal with - super professional, organized and excellent work so I can't blame them.

The other appliances we ordered from Lowe's arrived Saturday:
LG Refrigerator LFXS29626S
Kitchen Aid Dishwasher KDTE254ESS

The delivery company Lowe's used was complete opposite, arrived when they said they would, called in advance, and really worked hard to get our appliances into the kitchen (lifted the fridge above the countertops). Someone I know in Chicago had a similar experience with HHGregg as I had with AJ Madison - may be your location in relation to these online places that makes the difference. I know it was nice to be able to call a store and speak to local person about where my order was in the system - Lowe's has tremendously extended hours compared to AJMadison.
I keep reading aj madison and thinking it's that cheat on your spouse website..
AgLA06
AG
The Fife said:

I've bought them mostly from AJ Madison online. No tax, free shipping and a lower price than they're in stores on sale for anyway.

Looks like you got lucky.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/retail/aj-madison-inc.html
AgBank
AG
Agmechanic said:

Appliancesconnection.com

No tax
Free delivery

I ended up going with Applianceconnection.com

Delivery was fine and everything went as expected.

Thank you Agmechanic.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.