Best option for hanging a basketball goal on brick wall?

27,513 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by speck3
Maroonedinaustin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I want to hang a basketball goal above the garage, and our house is brick.

Here are three options I've considered:

1)Hang two 3 ft. long 1x4's on the inside of the garage securing them into studs using screws, and then running the bolts from the outside through the brick and the 1x4's.

2) Cut out the sheetrock to expose the studs. Run the bolts (3/8") through the brick & studs. Repair sheetrock.

3) Hang two appx. 3 ft. long 2x4's on the exterior of the garage and run the bolts through the 2x4's into the bricks. I could use a combination of wall anchors and long screws that screw into the studs.

Which do you recommend? Why?

The total weight of the goal and mount is just at 100 lbs.

TIA
Maroonedinaustin
AG
Nobody?
mustang6tee8
AG
Maroonedinaustin said:

1)Hang two 3 ft. long 1x4's on the inside of the garage securing them into studs using screws, and then running the bolts from the outside through the brick and the 1x4's.
Definitely not strong enough.
2) Cut out the sheetrock to expose the studs. Run the bolts (3/8") through the brick & studs. Repair sheetrock.
Not really sure what the advantage is here.
3) Hang two appx. 3 ft. long 2x4's on the exterior of the garage and run the bolts through the 2x4's into the bricks. I could use a combination of wall anchors and long screws that screw into the studs.
This is the best option because it ties the studs together, and is easier to attach the goal to the 2x4s. Make sure you pre-drill the brick when using anchors or screws.
Which do you recommend? Why?

The total weight of the goal and mount is just at 100 lbs.

TIA
bdgol07
AG
Why not a combination of 1 & 3 and make an exterior/drywall sammich with the 2x's?
CapCity12thMan
AG
I dont see how #1 and 3 are that different from a weight support scenario. I agree with mustang - I would run boards on exterior and interior and lag all the way through
Maroonedinaustin
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

I dont see how #1 and 3 are that different from a weight support scenario. I agree with mustang - I would run boards on exterior and interior and lag all the way through
I didn't think about that as an option, but it seems like a good idea. That's why I ask the question on Texags. Smart people=smart answers. Thanks guys.
mustang6tee8
AG
If you're going to put 1x4 boards on the interior, use a hardwood (or a 2x4). And for longevity, hot dip galvanized hardware is worth it.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
mustang6tee8 said:

If you're going to put 1x4 boards on the interior, use a hardwood (or a 2x4). And for longevity, hot dip galvanized hardware is worth it.
I'm going to go with 2x4s on both sides.
Bobby
How'd this work out for you? I'm getting ready to do the same exact thing.
speck3
All I can think about is going in for a layup and sucking brick.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.