Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Toilet clogged with magic eraser bar

26,227 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by George08
George08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So a mr. Clean magic eraser bar was cut in half, dropped in the toilet, and flushed the next day. It's clogged. What should I do? Google results of similar problems shows pulling the toilet up to get it out of the pee trap. I've reached in but can't feel anything.

What should I do?
histag10
AG
Don't flush magic erasers

Serious answer- I would call a plumber. If it was cut in half, it may have made it farther than you think
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
Pulling up a toilet is just about the easiest "home improvement" thing you can do, it is just kinda gross.

All you need is a wrench or socket and a new wax ring.
chap
AG
quote:
I've reached in but can't feel anything.
EMY92
AG
Pull the toilet, get a new wax ring prior to doing so.

If the toilet won't flush, or even if it does, use a shop vac to suck out any of the remaining water in the tank and bowl.

If the clog is further down the line, a small snake will likely take care of the problem.
will.mcg
AG
quote:
.If the clog is further down the line, a small snake will likely take care of the problem.

Such as a coat hanger etc.
Mom Class of '03,'05 and '09
S
hold on...if the eraser is IN the toilet a toilet auger will work, if it's below the toilet and stuck in or around the p-trap you will need a power line clean out which requires the toilet to be removed.

toilet augers involve a 36" flexible cable and twist handle and you simply lift lid and seat then push the cable through the toilet while twisting the handle. you can buy these at HD and Lowe's I think they were $20

if it's below the toilet and you need the line cleared, you can look for the clean out cap that's outside and go in reverse direction to the clog from below...saves totally trashing the bathroom!

Here is another, just thought about idea...contact the Mr Clean help line because I think there is something you could add to the water that with time will dissolve the sponge....just a thought as these things are NOT sponges like cellulose or natural sponges.

All this reminds me of Christmas Eve 2012 when our tree roots ONCE AGAIN necessitated a plumber's visit! My husband "helped" and in his bare hands brought a root ball into the living room then when I looked at him in horror and told him to throw it away....he put it in my kitchen trash can!
Gary79Ag
AG

quote:
if it's below the toilet and you need the line cleared, you can look for the clean out cap that's outside and go in reverse direction to the clog from below...saves totally trashing the bathroom!
Just a word of advice...if you auger from the cleanout with the toilet removed, be sure someone is in the bathroom to tell you to stop when the auger enters the bathroom area from the drain line!

I had ours done due to a slow washer drain issue while the toilet was removed in one of the bathrooms at the time and no one was at home...the guys called and said they resolved the issue and all is draining well. The house was under renovation and that bathroom was being used as a storage place during the time. About a month later when we were removing stuff from the bathroom, we discovered that the auger tip naughed the heck out of the bathroom vanity.
idAg09
quote:
Pulling up a toilet is just about the easiest "home improvement" thing you can do, it is just kinda gross.

It's only easy if you've done it before. My first one took 3 tries and 4-5 hours (2 HD trips). Second one took 20 min.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
If you pull it and you haven't done it before make sure you buy an extra wax ring or two. They are cheap and will save you a trip back when you mess the first one up.
bco2003
AG
quote:
It's only easy if you've done it before. My first one took 3 tries and 4-5 hours (2 HD trips). Second one took 20 min.

If you pull it and you haven't done it before make sure you buy an extra wax ring or two. They are cheap and will save you a trip back when you mess the first one up.
Very good advice.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
quote:

And if the flanged hasn't been broken
George08
AG
Update:
A six foot auger went through it but I wasn't able to pull any of the sponge out-- the toilet now works fine though. I'm hoping whatever is left of the sponge goes on to the septic tank without issue.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.