Reverse Osmosis Tank Not Filling

57,928 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by coyote68
JohnnyShotgun
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I replaced my tank for my ro system and I can't get it to fill up with water. Everything to my untrained eyes looks like it is hooked up correctly, but I'm not getting any water at all to the system. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. I have a Proline Plus system if that matters. Thanks.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Does the system produce water from the clean side of the membrane? If the pre filters are clogged, the pressure drop may be such that little or no pure water is produced and/or the pressure is too low to fill the tank.

Many tanks have a ball valve. Is the valve open?

Why did you replace the tank?

Esteban du Plantier
AG
Also, most tanks have a bladder inside that is pressurized as the tank is filled, and then forces water out as the tap is opened. The tank bladder may have come too pressurized. Check the schrader valve - should be something like 7 or 8 psi when the tank is empty.
JohnnyShotgun
The original tank bladder went bad, that's why I replaced it. The new tank bladder is reading around 6 psi. I will change out the filters to see if that helps, I need to do that anyway.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Depending on how much water you use, the prefilters should be replaced every 6 months to a year. Especially the carbon filter(s). If the carbon goes to ****, it will not scrub chlorine effectively, and that will trash the membrane pretty much instantly. Remove the line that goes from the prefilters to the membrane and see how strongly the water flows. If the valve from the city water line is wide open, the water should spray out pretty freely, as if unimpeded. If it just trickles, you're prefilters are bad.

Then look at the brine side (the membrane discharge) flow restrictor. It raises the pressure on the brine side to force water through the membrane. It should be replaced every year or so. If it is bad, then water will flow freely across the membrane and no water will be forced through the membrane. If you purchase a new membrane, it should come with a new restrictor.

[This message has been edited by vigna_ag (edited 6/19/2014 3:16p).]
javajaws
AG
Maybe your ASOV (auto shutoff valve) is stuck? If you detach the line from the tank does water flow out?

[This message has been edited by javajaws (edited 6/20/2014 6:57p).]
Esteban du Plantier
AG
quote:
Maybe your ASOV (auto shutoff valve) is stuck? If you detach the line from the tank does water flow out?

[This message has been edited by javajaws (edited 6/20/2014 6:57p).]

Based on the construction, I'd assume the valve would fail open. I guess it could stick shut, but with no tank pressure feedback, the high pressure side would force it open.

Now, if he switched the hoses, the valve would close tightly and wouldn't allow any water through the membrane.
JohnnyShotgun
I have replaced the sediment filter, the two charcoal filters, the membrane and the final clean filter. I am getting some water in the tank, but it only runs for a minute or two before it stops. The tank is getting very little water. The pressure is good when it comes out, but it should run much longer before running out.

I can hear the water from the main running, so I assume it is going thru the filters ok, but I am concerned that something is not right. I felt like I had it, but it has been nearly 24 hours since I changed everything.
JohnnyShotgun
Ok, I think I figured it out. I had the valve to the drain open and that's why i could hear the water running thru and it not collecting in the tank. My pressure gauge went from 25 to 50 the instant I closed the valve. I think that it's good to go! America F Yeah!
Esteban du Plantier
AG
quote:
Ok, I think I figured it out. I had the valve to the drain open and that's why i could hear the water running thru and it not collecting in the tank. My pressure gauge went from 25 to 50 the instant I closed the valve. I think that it's good to go! America F Yeah!

Why does your brine drain have a valve?

Did you replace the brine restrictor that came with the membrane? Usually looks like this:

Does your setup have a parallel valve like this on the drain used as a way to flush the membrane? That's the only reason I could see a valve would be needed the brine drain.

[This message has been edited by vigna_ag (edited 7/4/2014 5:10p).]
JohnnyShotgun
Vigna, I think that's exactly what it is. Thanks for the replies. I knew nothing about RO systems until my tank needed replacing. I'm glad I learned how to replace all the filters and learn how this thing works.
texags79
Having this same problem. Thought it was the tank bladder so I disconnected the tank and pressured the bladder to 7 psi.

However, when i disconnected the water line from the tank, water was barely dripping out of the line.

Any idea why this would be happening?
UmustBKidding
Filter and or membrane clogged. Do you change prefilters ever (6mo). Membranes typically only last a few years. Ro systems only produce small amounts of water and that is why the pressure tank is there. Most under sink models only produce 3-5 gallons a day. Thats really not.much more than a drip.
axan77
AG
Today I replaced my 8-year old RO tank due to a small leak, and also replaced all 3 filters at the same time. Membrane was 2 yrs old and still working fine, but replaced anyway. Once I got everything hooked up and turned the water on, same problem as some of you had--tank would not fill up. I waited 2 hours and no water had gone into the tank. The tank I bought was supposed to be pressurized already. I turned off the water and removed the filters, reinstalled them and turned on the water. Still no flow to the tank (by this time I had removed the line going into the tank so I could watch for water flow). I was convinced the problem was in the filter setup, so once again I turned off the water and removed the filters. This time, I turned the pre-filter 180 degrees to screw it on (so that the label faced the wall instead of out). Turned water on and voila - immediately water starting flowing from the line going into the tank. I reinserted the line into the tank and RO is working great now. I have no idea why turning the filter halfway around made a difference, but it did. This is a Whirlpool system and I have been very happy with it. One other thing - when I ordered the tank from Amazon, I also bought a TDS meter...it also works great, and should save me money on filter changes in the future.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I'm a home brewer and I just bought a 37 gallon ss "keg" to act as a RO reservoir. There is no bladder in it, and it will gravity feed to my brewing setup. My question is how do the auto shut off valves work? I'd like it to fill on its own and not have to worry about checking it or it spilling over. The keg has an air in, and a long diptube for beer out. I know I'll have to buy a lot of adaptors to get the plumbed right, just not sure how some of this stuff works.

For draining it I'm probably going to cut a hole and weld on a 1/2" jut so I can have a ball valve at the base.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
The auto shutoff valve has two inlets and two outlets. One side has the unfiltered water running through it. The line running from the membrane to the reservoir runs through the shutoff valve on the other side. As the reservoir fills and the pressure rises, a membrane in the shutoff is pushed which closes off flow on the unfiltered side.

If your keg is sealed, the shutoff should work fine. If it's an unsealed vessel, you'd need something like a float valve to stop the clean water flow, and by extension build enough pressure in the shutoff to stop flow on the unfiltered side.

See the below image. The top side is the unfiltered side which is regulated by the pressure on the bottom side of the valve

AlaskanAg99
AG
The keg is sealed, but how does the air inside it escape?
JohnnyShotgun
Well, I started this thread 3 years ago and here I am again. Everything was working fine until a couple of weeks ago until I couldn't get any water out of the drinking faucet. I replaced 3 of the 5 filters and put everything back together and voila, it worked... for a few days. I just got back from a trip and now it doesn't work again. I had ordered the final two filters and replaced those and that did nothing. Here is what is happening. When I turn the water on to the RO system it starts taking water for about 2 seconds then it just stops. The water just quits going into the first filter and I don't know why.

The tank is pressurized and is working, all the tubes are inserted correctly, all 5 filters are brand new. Help me, I'm thirsty!
SnowboardAg
AG
Forgive my ignorance as I literally installed my first one today and everything seems to work fine after troubleshooting.

I had to pull my supply line from the first filter due to pressure problem at inlet. Are you sure the inlet is clear with no sediments from supply line?
JohnnyShotgun
As far as I can tell, there is nothing blocking the line going into the first filter. It runs for a second and then the water just stops going in. I'm going to take it apart again tonight and see if there is something I missed the first time. All 5 filters are brand new and all the tubing is correctly done. It's driving me crazy.
johnleit
Read your posts. I had same problem. I solved my tank filling problem by installing a pressure restrictor on the inline water supply 1/4" line connected to the RO system. It's a small device about 4" long. Apparently it is essential because the flow will bypass the main RO membrane which causes the tank to not refill. Try getting one at a plumbing supply place and cut the water supply line and connect it inline. Good luck!
Jumstaro8
I had a ispring RCC7 RO system, new installation under sink. Water continuously flow to the drain instead of filling the tank. Leave it on for 2 hours, only few ounces into the tank. If shut off the tank valve on the top of the tank, drain water will also stop in a minute. When disconnect the hose from tank with the supply water on, little amount of water comes out from the hose which supposed to go into the tank. Any help would be appreciated.
coyote68
I just installed 2 RO systems. Same thing happened.

If you are getting water in the hose that is connected to the tank that is a good thing. It took 12 hours before the tank started filling. Patience. Until it fills the drain will run.
Jumstaro8
Does your water flow to the drain continuously when the tank is being fill up? Mine's yes. I don't know if there is anything to do with the supply water pressure. Will check it when I receive the water gauge. I know the ASO and check valve are both fine.
coyote68
Yes. It flowed continuously until it filled up. The tank has an air bladder that has about 7 pounds of pressure. Your house water supply system will have 40-60 pounds.

Disconnect the supply line to the RO tank and it should have a stream of water when disconnected.

Again, even when hooked up correctly, it takes a long, long time.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.