Handyman rates

1,642 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by nomadic_ag
nomadic_ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I do a bit of handyman work in Houston. I used to be paid by the hour for the same work but now I just do odd jobs. I've gotten by so far letting the customer name the price. It's helped when the customer wanted to pay more than I would've ever asked for and hurt when the customer paid less than what I thought my time, effort, and knowledge were worth.

Needless to say, it's all a learning experience for me. Any thoughts, opinions, or ideas for anyone that has either paid handymen or been paid as a handyman on how to charge customers for the work that I'm doing?

TIA
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I pay $75 per man, per day. There are one or two guys I use regularly.
nomadic_ag
AG
Thanks.

And is that an 8 hour day? And are they doing yard work or fixing toilets, door bells, blinds, and attic doors?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
it's an 8ish hour day. never really exact. and not yard work. handy man stuff... drywall, plumbing, painting, etc.
Aggietaco
AG
Wow, that seems low.
ORAggieFan
My buddy does it for a living, $40/hour.
progress
AG
$75 for a day seems way low. you trust them to drop wire in for a can light and do electrical work like that?

$75/day seems like a day labor kinda rate. where are you located?
TXAGFAN
AG
quote:
I pay $75 per man, per day. There are one or two guys I use regularly.
wow...that seems very low.
wunderbrad01
AG
Our carpenter gets $20 per hour, but he is too cheap IMO and he's very slow and doesn't work long days or stick to a schedule at all.

$30-40 per hour sounds about right to me for a knowledgeable handyman. For $75 per day, I would not expect you to speak much English or do much of a job, plus I'd worry you would come murder my family at some point to get back at me for raping you so hard on your handyman work.
nomadic_ag
AG
Thanks everybody. This confirms my belief that $40 an hour is about right. It's tricky learning how much to charge for certain jobs. I'm sure all of this comes with time.
wunderbrad01
AG
People may or may not scoff at $40 per hour before you do the work, but if you do a fantastic job, they won't think twice about hiring you a second time.

I will add that a handyman that keeps a customer's home as neat as possible during a job and takes care of all cleanup afterwards is worth much more than a messy handyman. Our carpenters, electricians, etc. tend to leave a huge mess and it pisses me off. They get paid by the hour, cleanup pays the same as the actual job.
Post removed:
by user
Carnwellag2
i wouldn't pay $40 per hour for a handyman.

I would pay a flat rate for a job - that ended up being $40/ hour. if that makes sense.
nomadic_ag
AG
^ It does.

I always try to work per project instead of a flat rate per hour. That's more of a last resort. I've found that older client's prefer paying per hour. If they insist on paying me that way, then I try and go with $40 an hour. But per project is my first go-to.
BrazosDog02
AG
I like paying by the job when I hire for major projects. It's amazing how long **** can take when you are paid by the hour. However, if I pay by the job, you can work all GD day as far as I'm concerned. It's your time.
GtownRAB
AG
Older clients usually do prefer hourly rates. They can wait and group together a bunch of small tasks that involve ladders, household tools they don't have, light electrical, plumbing or painting. It is cheaper to rent someone for the day or half day that is a jack of all trades rather than to get a bid for every little thing.

You could rent your services hourly, half day or full day is pretty standard. Even offer set pricing/quotes on larger jobs.

Typically a handyman like that will give you your moneys worth. They build their business from referrals. If you hire a day laborer or felon, than I would be a lot more skeptical of the per hour productivity you will be getting.

[This message has been edited by GtownRAB (edited 5/11/2014 6:22a).]
jenn96
AG
What is a good project/hourly rate for replacing a bathroom faucet? I have two that I need done - basic 4" centerset faucets. Have no idea how long it would take.
nomadic_ag
AG
I usually take these rates and take a bit off of them.

http://www.absoluteplumbingonline.com/estimated_charges.shtml

[This message has been edited by nomadic_ag (edited 5/14/2014 3:01p).]
Mom Class of '03,'05 and '09
S
Wooden Thumb Handyman here charges $50 an hour but he hustles and if he needs to get parts you aren't charged for travel time only the time he actually is working. I always come out on the good side of his clock.
Aggie Rick
AG
Nomadic - have a number to give you a shout about some work?
Josepi
AG
Sorry, but I could never imagine paying $40 an hour for a handy man. I've had two great ones over the past 10 years, and I've paid them $10-15 per hour depending on the job. They have always been honest, and done good jobs.
Samuel E. Cronkowitz
AG
Whats your email nomadag? I have some stuff around the house i'd rather hire out than mess with.
Martin Q. Blank
quote:
Sorry, but I could never imagine paying $40 an hour for a handy man. I've had two great ones over the past 10 years, and I've paid them $10-15 per hour depending on the job. They have always been honest, and done good jobs.

Post their contact info!
nomadic_ag
AG
I can't get PM to work, but y'all can email me at krd010@shsu.edu

I look forward to hearing from you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.