Garage door spring broken

2,161 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by fire09
bb2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One of the springs on my garage door broke this morning. Anyone have any pointers on swapping it out? Should I go ahead and replace both Springs?
Texker
AG
If you don't know exactly what you are doing then hire an experienced garage door company. Yes it will cost you some, but avoiding death or dismemberment by torque from a garage door spring is money well spent.
87IE
AG
Do you have the torsion spring(s)? I wouldn't mess with those again.

If you have 2 single doors and have the springs that run on top of the rail they aren't that bad and yes, I would replace both.
BosAG06
AG
I had a guy I found on Craigslist replace mine, he was professional and quick. $98 for single and $140 for both. 214-277-4162. His name is Edson
bb2003
AG
It's the torsion spring. I had a buddy in high school that worked for a garage door company and he did my mom's door and it didn't seem to difficult. I know you have to be very careful with spring tension and release it one quarter turn at a time. Is that the reason you would not do it again? Or is it the art of getting the tension set right? That is my biggest reservation on doing it myself.
bam02
AG
I am moderately handy and I replaced my own a few months ago. Wasn't difficult. I followed a YouTube video very closely and just took my time.
Post removed:
by user
Hwy30East
Whether you do it yourself, or hire someone, replace both springs.
87IE
AG
quote:
Is that the reason you would not do it again?

I had a close call where one of the rods I was using slipped out and the other one got away from me. I managed to keep from getting hit and finished it but I'll pay someone the next time.

You could always buy a replacement and put it on yourself and just pay them to tighten it up to save some $$$$.

dfphotos
any recs on people doing this in B/CS?
JP76

AAA overhead door

979 775 5199

Mom Class of '03,'05 and '09
S
replace both but let someone do it.

Husband did it once when we were young, DUMB and pinching pennies. He used pieces of rebar inserted into the holder and once you start twisting it, well he didn't die but the top panel fell back and hit him in the head. The glass window broke as his head went through it meaning jagged glass was all around his neck, the whole action knocked him off the ladder. I was 8.5mo pregnant with our first baby and never, ever will forget the event unfolding in slow motion. I shook so badly he wanted me to go to the ER and make sure the baby was ok.
bam02
AG
If you use the proper winding bars (mine were included when I bought the spring) and take your time to make sure they are properly seated each time you turn them, I don't really see how this is that dangerous of a job.
Absolute
AG
Hire someone. I know how and have done it and will not again - not worth the risk. I hired someone last time. Recommend Apple Garage Doors out of Allen if you are in DFW.
HoldMyBeer
AG
Hire someone. The savings isn't worth the risk of injury. Do both springs and make sure the new ones are oiled yearly. The main reason they break is lack of lubrication between the coils causing them to rub. In Houston, call Johnny Williams at 281-469-9390. He's a super old guy and will go over you entire door.
UmustBKidding
I have used American overhead for repairs & parts 979-775-6531
Just not Aggieland
harge57
AG
BosAG06 said:

I had a guy I found on Craigslist replace mine, he was professional and quick. $98 for single and $140 for both. 214-277-4162. His name is Edson

Called this guy today. He was extremely fast and very good. Highly recommend.

I think normal 2 car garage with 2 springs was $169, but I had heavier duty springs so it was $249.
Garage Door Pro
There are a couple of companies in town with Aggieland in the name.

If it is Aggieland Garage Door, I would love to talk and see what we did that disappointed you. We take a lot of pride in what we do and always want our customers to be happy with our service.
Chris Symons AGD
fire09
AG
Echoing the advice of others, this is not a DYI fix. If you can afford a garage, you can afford a tech to come fix it. I narrowly avoided a very serious injury when I tried to fix my broken spring.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.