How Much are Mature Live Oak Trees?

51,817 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Towns03
TxAg20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I are having a house built on a lot with some mature oak trees. 2 of the oak trees need to be relocated or removed for construction of the new house. They are both ~14" trunk live oak trees. Our builder had a landscaper give him an estimate to move the trees and he said $5,500 each and we will need to remove the cinder block fence to take one of them out. He said we can buy similar trees and have them planted for $3,500 each. I want to make sure I can get similar oak trees planted for $3,500 before cutting down the existing ones. The lot is in Midland.
helgs
AG
14 in diameter or circumference? If diameter, that's a fair price.
TxAg20
AG
Diameter
Aggietaco
AG
Prices vary by area, best bet would be to call a local tree farm for a quote.
The Collective
AG
Are they actually located in the middle of your house or are they just going to be “too close”?
TxAg20
AG
One is in the middle of a perimeter footing. The other is sandwiched between the garage and back fence and I'm sure the roots will be in the perimeter footing of the garage. We've designed the house around the biggest oak trees (20-36" diameter), removed all the small trees (< 6" diameter) and just have these two trees to figure out. I would like another oak in the front yard when it's all said and done, but if it's cheaper to buy and plant than move, I'm happy to buy and plant. My builder said a bought tree will usually come with a 1 or 2 year warranty whereas a tree mover probably won't give me any warranty. If I'm picking trees, I'd probably prefer a red oak to a live oak anyway.
Aggietaco
AG
Relocation doesn't always take. Even if the cost was marginally in favor of relocation, I'd buy "new". And yes, most growers will offer at least a 1 year warranty, assuming you pay them to plant.
The Collective
AG
quote:
The other is sandwiched between the garage and back fence and I'm sure the roots will be in the perimeter footing of the garage.

How close is the actual trunk to the structure? Yes, it is likely that this tree will have roots there, but you’d be surprised how resilient a mature live oak can be… and the chance of future damage to a foundation from a pre-existing live oak is greatly misstated. I’ll pause for someone to crucify me over that statement.
AgDrumma07
AG
My neighbor had one cut down, the stump ground out and most of the branches hauled away (the company left them a big pile of wood pieces for mulch) for $500 in NW Houston. It was similar in size to the trees in question. I know this isn't exactly what you want but maybe you can use that as some kind of reference.
TX AG 88
AG
Where are you located? If you're anywhere in Oak Wilt country, I'd opt for another oak variety.
TxAg20
AG
There is 4' between the garage and property line. Assuming the cinder block fence is just inside the property line, this leaves 3'4" between the edge of the garage and the inside edge of the fence. The tree is about 2' inside the fence. The tree would have to be trimmed extensively to clear the roof overhang of the house if the root damage from digging the footing didn't kill it.
The Collective
AG
Yea, never mind on that one... tree wouldn't survive that.
yakman
Unless you want instant impact, a container grown 15-20 gal tree will adapt to being transplanted much easier and will be larger in 5-10 years than the bigger trees that have far more shock issues when transplanted.
TxAg20
AG
I gave the go ahead to cut down the 2 live oaks. I'll be tree shopping when the house is finished.

[This message has been edited by TxAg20 (edited 4/24/2013 10:57a).]
Tree Hugger
AG
quote:
Unless you want instant impact, a container grown 15-20 gal tree will adapt to being transplanted much easier and will be larger in 5-10 years than the bigger trees that have far more shock issues when transplanted.

This, don't go over board on the tree size.

I planted two bur oaks in my front yard. One was in a 40-50 gal container and cost around $500, the other was a stick that cost $10 at Walmart.

They've been in the ground for 9 years now and are pretty much the same size. In fact, the canopy spread is actually a little larger on the previously smaller tree.

2004:

I'll have to put the 2012 shots into two different pics since the now-deceased lacebark elm is blocking part of the view in each one:

buzzardb267
AG
I would strongly agree with getting rid of the two oaks. Moving a tree that large is almost surely a kiss of death. My Dad transplanted thousands of native trees in his career and the larger they are, the greater the risk of them dying. You couldn't move a root ball that is large enough to assure they survive. If you purchase a mature live oak or red oak, make sure there is a warranty. Even container grown trees suffer stress when replanted.
Mom Class of '03,'05 and '09
S
We have a live oak growing roots through our septic lines....don't replant too close to your house!
Towns03
AG
I have a 20' magnolia tree that's free to anyone who will come get it...

Towns03
AG
i also know a guy who grows live oaks in New Ulm. I will PM contact info if anyone is interested.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.