How Do You Paint Doors and Trim?

4,436 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MarylandAG
Madman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Or how do I paint them and get that extra smooth finish?

I have several doors that are all Sherwin Williams "extra white" but notice there are no brush strokes or roller marks on them. Since the home builder would have painted them how do I paint them and achieve this same smooth finish? I doubt they were painted by a sprayer but that is the only way I can come up with that would be this smooth. My base boards are also very clean but I can see some brush strokes on them.

Thoughts?
dubi
AG
My hubby uses the small foam roller on the doors. No marks if done well.
Mr. Dubi
Proclassic latex is very forgiving, use a very short nap roller designed for doors and cabinets, also a soft bristle natural fiber brush, you can even use those chip brushes.
hatchback
AG
My wife and I have been painting all of the baseboards, door frames, and doors in our house. We've been using brushes on the trim pieces and the foam rollers for the doors. I've been pretty pleased with the results so far.

I bet that the builder did spray them. That's how most of the spec house builders in my Dallas neighborhood painted the doors in the houses that were being built.

[This message has been edited by hatchback (edited 8/12/2012 9:03a).]
Beckdiesel03
AG
We use an HVLP sprayer
Madman
AG
Do hvlp guns run on standard air compressors or do they run on a different air system?

Quick to the google machine.
JP76
The majority of all trim and doors in new construction built in the last 20 years was applied with a airless paint sprayer. If you are applying by hand use sherwin williams pro classic trim paint

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/products/catalog/proclassic-interior-waterbased-acrylicalkyd/?referringCategory=interior-paint-coatings/paint/

and a Purdy nylon brush.

http://www.purdy.com/catalog/brushes/detail/nylox

For doors use a 6 inch pencil roller to apply the paint and then back brush it for a uniform finish.

[This message has been edited by JP76 (edited 8/12/2012 1:19p).]
AW 1880
AG
We used an airless sprayer on ours but I would recommend paying someone to do it. I hate painting trim.
powerbiscuit
I just had my house painted and they painted the doors and moulding by hand with a brush. The only thing on the inside that they sprayed were the ceilings and the closets.
Random Ag
AG
We just got done painting nearly all the trim in our house. PIA. Sand, clean, prime (we used Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 - 2 coats if going over unpainted wood), paint (SW ProClassic® Interior Waterbased Acrylic-Alkyd Enamel - 2 coats). We used a brush and you can only see the brush strokes temporarily, then they magically go away.
We happy with the SW product. Color choice was Greek Villa.
johnhoward
Hi everyone
I am looking for a best airless paint sprayer for kitchen cabinets and basic outdoor jobs. My budget is no more than 500$, Can anyone help me suggesting best recommend for me?
Thanks, best regards
cadetjay02
AG
I have the Graco Magnum X7 from Home Depot, works great and is easy to clean with the power flush nozzle. Also, using the right tip for your job is important. Need to replace them if you start to get splatter.
MarylandAG
HVLP, high volume low pressure, do not run on compressed air. They have a turbine air system that generates the low pressure. They are sold as 1 stage, 2 stage, etc up to five stage, the higher the stage the thicker paint they spray. So for latex you need a four or five stage. The beauty of HVLP is that there is little over spray.
jt2hunt
AG
I have used a 2 or 3 stage and sprayed latex just fine in an hvlp. 5 stages run around 1K give or take.
MarylandAG
I think they sell HVLP guns that run off a compressor at low pressure but I think the highest quality ones are all in one systems.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.