Pool question - Pebble tec and Pebble sheen vs plaster

43,786 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JR Ewing
Texas A&M
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has anybody gone the Pebble Tec or Pebble sheen route instead of a traditional surface? Any feedback on how it has worked out for you or things to be aware of with the Pebble surfaces. I know they are more expensive, but we think they look really nice. We're just a little unsure of some of the other stuff (wear, maintenance, how rough they are on your feet, etc).

Thanks for the feedback....
dgb99
AG
We renovated our pool this summer and went with Riverbend Sandler's version of Pebblesheen which is called Riversand.

We had plain white plaster before. We went with Tahoe Blue which is a pretty common color. If it were just me choosing, I would have gone with the Carribean Blue which was a slightly lighter blue color. But if momma ain't happy...

Very happy with how it looks. However, our pool was definitely warmer than it was in the past few years. Obviously, the consecutive 100 degree days had a lot to do with that but I think the darker finish was a factor as well.

When we were using the pool every day, it did scrape up the bottoms of our feet a bit. Not to the point of pain or enough that it matters to me but it is something to consider. My boys didn't complain about it either.
Kdenhead
AG
We built a pool a year ago and chose Pebble Sheen. We are very pleased with it. Easy to clean / doesn't show stains. The sheen isn't hard on your feet.

Our previous home w/ pool had the traditional white plaster. It was a major pain to keep clean and looking good.
Scan Man
AG
We have Pebble Sheen (blue granite). We love it... I've been in a pool with pebble tec, and it's not as comfortable on your feet. Even with the Pebble Sheen it gets uncomfortable if you're sitting too long (like in the hot tub).

If we had to do it all over, we'd go with Pebble Sheen again.

We asked our pool builder about plaster, and his opinion was that it was harder to get a consistent color (if you tint the plaster) and it wouldn't be as durable when compared to the pebble finish. Take that for what it's worth (though, there was obviously incentive for him to upsell the plaster).

Also - our color is darker than standard white plaster, but isn't too dark (I wanted something darker). Some neighbors have a darker colored pool (dark gray/black-ish) and their pool was consistently 3-5 degrees warmer all summer long - that's a big difference.

[This message has been edited by Scan Man (edited 9/26/2011 2:53p).]
txaggrad1994
AG
Our pool is going on 8 years old and we went with the Pebble Tec surface. Mostly because we were told it has a 20 year warranty vs a lower term warranty on standard plaster.

Love everything about it! The color is great and gives our pool a unique look. The bottom can be hard on the feet. My family is used to it but when people who come over who are not their feet get marked up, but nothing too severe.
b.blauser
AG
quote:
The bottom can be hard on the feet.
Maybe these would help?

Ag92NGranbury
AG
we did pebble sheen... it is good, but man it eats up the bag on the pool cleaner!
Texas Ag Mom
We have Pebble Tech (Tahoe Blue). It was installed in 1997. Because of the darker color, compared to white plaster, it will heat up faster in the summer months. It does require more brushing because algae can start growing before you can see it but if you are real good on maintaining it there is no issue. Our pool is also a salt water system. As for the texture-we love it. It is a bit of misconception about it being harder on the feet. Our daughter came home w/bloody feet after swimming in a plaster pool & we have never had that issue. The pool looks more "natural" like a pond if that is the look you are going for.
Southside AG
AG
Bump
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
All I know of the rougher pool surface materials is I hated them as a kid. Always left my feet raw.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
We went with Pebble Tec "pebblefina", the "pebbles" are pretty fine so it doesn't have a rough texture at all. That was important to us as we have grand kids that we knew would be spending a lot of time in the pool.
Southside AG
AG
Is the pebble fina an upgrade from pebble sheen?
Col. Steve Austin
AG
No, pebble fina costs less than pebble sheen.
JBLHAG03
AG
We did pebble sheen and did get some stains from our crepe myrtle that I cannot get out because it is down between the pebbles. Cut down the crepe myrtle and will probably have to drain and acid wash to get the pool clean.

My kids like me to spin them around, and that will exfoliate your toes! Pebbles are also rough on polaris, but otherwise we like it.
Southside AG
AG
Do you remember the warranty difference between the pebble fina and pebble sheen? How long were you told it will last?
Col. Steve Austin
AG
quote:
Do you remember the warranty difference between the pebble fina and pebble sheen? How long were you told it will last?
No, we didn't really look at pebble sheen but I don't believe there is any difference in coverage. The manufacturer covers only the aggregate material (pebbles) with a limited 5 year warranty. The pool builder or installer should provide a workmanship warranty to cover the installation. Expected lifetime is 15-20 years IIRC.
JR Ewing
AG
Col Steve, who put your Pebble Fina in? Thinking a out this, and I'm wondering which color Pebble Fina (leaning towards Grigio). Has it held up well?
MAS444
AG
Anyone willing to post pics?
Bregxit
AG
MAS444 said:

Anyone willing to post pics?

Pebble Sheen (Blue Surf)...please excuse the debris blown into the pool from our regularly scheduled t-storms lately.

Courtesy Flush
AG
We are about to put in a pool and the contractor included in the bid PEBBLE TEC/PEBBLE SHEEN LEVEL 1 COLOR (that is actually a copy/paste from the bid).

I was sent a bunch of samples to select from but I have no idea on what would look best although the previous comment about a darker color makes sense as far as heating goes. Does anybody have any more general comments on color?

Also, isn't this Pebble Tec all under water? If so, is there really a possibility that it could stain?
TexAg1987
Rufnek said:

We are about to put in a pool and the contractor included in the bid PEBBLE TEC/PEBBLE SHEEN LEVEL 1 COLOR (that is actually a copy/paste from the bid).

I was sent a bunch of samples to select from but I have no idea on what would look best although the previous comment about a darker color makes sense as far as heating goes. Does anybody have any more general comments on color?

Also, isn't this Pebble Tec all under water? If so, is there really a possibility that it could stain?
I will just add that whatever color you choose will seem darker under water. i.e. a light blue really adds blue to the water.

staining comes from leaves, algae, etc that sits on the plaster surface too long. keep it clean, no staining.
Flashdiaz
AG
and keep in mind how much light it gets (full sun vs cloudy). As someone stated, lean towards lighter colors.
TexAg1987
Flashdiaz said:

and keep in mind how much light it gets (full sun vs cloudy). As someone stated, lean towards lighter colors.
This too.

A family member put in a dark pool. Always seemed dirty to me. like a pond.

As a clarification. Take whatever sample they give you and put it in a bowl of water. It will darken. Then imagine it under 3-4 feet of water (or put it at the bottom of a friends pool) It gets darker yet.
AggieSam02
AG
Go to the pebbletec website and look at their color selector. It shows the difference of each color in different depths of water. Darker colors will heat your pool more and snakes are harder to see. Just an FYI.

Yes plaster could stain if the pool isn't maintained properly. Even a well maintained pool can have some algae growth so I would not do regular plaster any more.

Pebble sheen is much finer and easier on your skin but it has a different look for sure. Just something to take into account especially with little ones that stay in the pool a long time.
JR Ewing
AG
So, the Pebble Fina is typically cheaper? Does it not last as long as the Pebble Tec or Sheen? I want a smooth texture, so I think the Pebble FIna may be the way to go.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
JR Ewing said:

Col Steve, who put your Pebble Fina in? Thinking a out this, and I'm wondering which color Pebble Fina (leaning towards Grigio). Has it held up well?
Sorry, I did not see that this thread had been resurrected. Modern Gunite was the sub-contractor that installed our pebble fina. Our builder was Supreme Pool and Spa and MG is or was their go to installer. Has held up well. I don't recall what color we selected, might have been Bella Blue looking at the current selections. I would have liked to have gone with a darker color but the wife was afraid of not being able to see snakes and other critters in a "dark" pool. We have so many tall trees that our pool only gets a few hours of direct sunlight. So while the highest temp I've seen in the summer is like 78 DegF, it's late to warm up in Spring and early to cool off in the Fall.
I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
JR Ewing
AG
Thanks for the reply. I think we are probably leaning towards a lighter color due to snakes as well. We get Copperheads and Water Mocassins in our neighborhood, so I definitely want to see to the bottom. Bella Blue is the other color we are looking at.. thanks for the reply!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.