outside faucets make a noise.

37,389 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by 62strat
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
if I'm using an outside spigot, it makes a noise throughout the entire house.. it's kind of a high pitch noise.., and when you turn off the spigot.. it will increase in pitch, and then stop.

anybody have any idea what this is.
I've actually also recently noticed it makes the noise whenever the washing machine water kicks on.
BrazosDog02
AG
Vibrating pipe that is not properly secured?

Macpappy99
AG
New home/neighborhood? If that's the case it could be that the water pressure is high.
oldvalleyrat
AG
One of my outside water faucets make a fair amount of noise inside the house. I assume that it is the plumbing making the noise since the house is 30 years old and I know the water pressure is not to high. I just live with it because it helps me remember to turn the water off and not forget and run it all night!
mm98
AG
we had the same issue on our home. we bought it last june and it was built in 2001.

in our case the previous owner had installed a backflow coupling that attached to the outside spigot. we removed that and the noise went away.
62strat
AG
we bought it new in 12/05.

it kinda sounds like a kid whining...

beerag04
AG
It's the backflow preventer. It's required on all hose bibs. It is there to prevent chemicals, fertilizers, etc. from being sucked back into the water supply through a garden hose.

Take it off and it will stop. It is just screwed on.
RoperJoe02
Yep....vacuum breaker on your hose bibb. If you don't have a vacuum breaker, then your hose bibb is clogged up or the valve is not opening properly.
HirschfeldAg
quote:
One of my outside water faucets make a fair amount of noise inside the house. I assume that it is the plumbing making the noise since the house is 30 years old and I know the water pressure is not to high. I just live with it because it helps me remember to turn the water off and not forget and run it all night!

THIS!
62strat
AG
quote:
I just live with it because it helps me remember to turn the water off and not forget and run it all night!
sprinkler timers for the win
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.