LIV and PGA Tour Merging

42,231 Views | 705 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Big Cat `93
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgLA06 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

AgLA06 said:

Broncos said:

AgOutsideAustin said:

Phil broke the pga tour lol

Brooks broke it winning the PGA Championship
That definitely helped.

But' let's be real here, FIGJAM earned his nickname with this move. He risked a lot and took quite the beating including being excluded from Majors to carry the ball on this one.

He was not excluded from majors.

He was forced to withdraw from the PGA because of his opening comments supporting LIV.

No he wasn't. He self-exiled after stepping in it. He could have played the Masters and the PGA Championship and chose not to
jonj101
98Ag99Grad said:

A year ago Monahan was interviewed during the RBC and said no one on the PGAT has ever had to apologize about where they play golf. I wish there was video from that players meeting today because he got lit up by them.

I think the families specifically referenced that in their statement.
AgLA06
AG
JCA1 said:

AgLA06 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

AgLA06 said:

Broncos said:

AgOutsideAustin said:

That definitely helped.

But' let's be real here, FIGJAM earned his nickname with this move. He risked a lot and took quite the beating including being excluded from Majors to carry the ball on this one.

He was forced to withdraw from the PGA because of his opening comments supporting LIV.

Spot on as always.

"Phil Mickelson has withdrawn from the upcoming PGA Championship, the PGA of America announced Friday.

"Phil is the defending champion and currently eligible to be a PGA Life Member and we would have welcomed him to participate," the PGA said on Twitter. "We wish Phil and Amy the very best and look forward to his return to golf."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/13/sport/phil-mickelson-defending-champion-withdraws-pga-spt/index.html#:~:text=At%20the%20time%2C%20Mickelson%20said,man%20I%20want%20to%20be."

That's as sincere as the PGAT leadership was about it being about morality, not competition by LIV. I can't tell if you're really that gullible or just a troll.
zgolfz85
AG
Ogilvy also said that it very much feels like they felt this was going to get leaked and they had to announce in haste unexpectedly.

That feels very accurate because clearly the PR side of this has been an utter failure for jay
DannyDuberstein
AG
PGA Tour and PGA of America are two entirely different entities. Fred Ridley said he as welcome at the Masters but he didn't play there either.
JCA1
AG
AgLA06 said:

JCA1 said:

AgLA06 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

AgLA06 said:

Broncos said:

AgOutsideAustin said:

That definitely helped.

Spot on as always.

"Phil Mickelson has withdrawn from the upcoming PGA Championship, the PGA of America announced Friday.

"Phil is the defending champion and currently eligible to be a PGA Life Member and we would have welcomed him to participate," the PGA said on Twitter. "We wish Phil and Amy the very best and look forward to his return to golf."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/13/sport/phil-mickelson-defending-champion-withdraws-pga-spt/index.html#:~:text=At%20the%20time%2C%20Mickelson%20said,man%20I%20want%20to%20be."

That's as sincere as the PGAT leadership was about it being about morality, not competition by LIV. I can't tell if you're really that gullible or just a troll.

There was also a Phil quote in the article too.

So you're just making stuff up and treating it as facts? Explains a lot of your takes over the last year or so.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Has Phil Mickelson ever been cowed by anyone in his entire life?
AgLA06
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Exactly. It's almost like there are collusion lawsuits for a reason.
DannyDuberstein
AG
AgLA06 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Exactly. It's almost like there are collusion lawsuits for a reason.

So no one cowed him out of the PGA championship. Glad you agree. If he was shunned, he would have called them out as he's been doing for a year on actual disagreements. He's been all over twitter talking ****, but here he admitted he took a break
AgLA06
AG
JCA1 said:

AgLA06 said:

JCA1 said:

AgLA06 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

AgLA06 said:

Broncos said:

AgOutsideAustin said:

That definitely helped.

Spot on as always.

So you're just making stuff up and treating it as facts? Explains a lot of your takes over the last year or so.

My takes weren't exposed as bull**** like yours were today.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I've been saying two tours weren't gonna last all along. You vehemently disagreed with that. You should probably take a seat
Mr.Bond
AG
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

JCA1
AG
AgLA06 said:

JCA1 said:

AgLA06 said:

JCA1 said:

AgLA06 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

AgLA06 said:

Broncos said:

AgOutsideAustin said:

That definitely helped.

Spot on as always.

My takes weren't exposed as bull**** like yours were today.

I'm not even sure what your takes are. You seem to be happy that golf was ripped apart for the last year just so the PGAT could fall under the control of the Saudis. Ok. If that's what you've wanted, so be it. Weird goal though.

My guess is you don't even know what point you're trying to make any more.

I'm fine with disagreements. I've disagreed with Bunk and 369 a bunch. The difference is they seem to know what they're talking about.
zgolfz85
AG
it is remarkable when you see the roster LIV was able to pull together. I have to go back every now and again as I always forget some of the talent they were able to assemble with quick money whip contracts. Pretty impressive and glad these dudes will be back in the mix:

https://www.livgolf.com/player

We've gotten lucky with some good leaderboards, but will certainly be better with a lot of these guys in the competition going forward, whatever that ends up looking like
DannyDuberstein
AG
Throw a billion here and a billion there, it's "remarkable" what one can do
AgLA06
AG
Unless you're the PGAT commissioner.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Well, in the end, he's got egg on his face but a bigger contract, the tour back together as one, and more moolah for everyone.
AgLA06
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

AgLA06 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

AgLA06 said:

Broncos said:

AgOutsideAustin said:

That definitely helped.

No he wasn't. He self-exiled after stepping in it. He could have played the Masters and the PGA Championship and chose not to

You didn't think that here.
DannyDuberstein
AG
That was a Winehouse joke literally the day he announced. PGA is 3 months later, and again, unaffiliated with PGAT. No, I do not think everyone associated with these two majors including Phil were liars when they said he still had an open invite and chose not to play. And again, if you followed Phil for 30 years, you'd see no one makes that guy do anything he doesn't want to - at least not without him making a public stink over it. While we are digging up old posts of mine:

Aggie369
AG
I enjoy your takes

I try to gather info before I post any opinions cause like I said from day 1....this stuff changes so fast

If it all collapses here soon I'll post a few things that happened that weren't public...nothing too crazy. There were some guys that committed LIV then backed out...there were others who off the record wanted to go but didnt. The media covered things differently for different players. Quite interesting
AgLA06
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Well, in the end, he's got egg on his face but a bigger contract, the tour back together as one, and more moolah for everyone.

Honestly, I guess I hadn't thought of it that way since it took giving so much to the kingdom to do it. He definitely got a payday. And in theory the players will as well.
JCA1
AG
Pretty good overview/best guess of what's going on.

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/pga-tour-liv-golf-merger-why-it-happened-and-what-comes-next-with-players-fans-left-reeling/
PJYoung
AG
2 points people seems to be getting wrong: PIF is investing in a new entity partnered with the PGAT. The PGAT is staying as is to retain their tax exempt status.

LIV seems to be 100% going away to be replaced by that new entity.

I'm guessing the new entity is going to be a world wide elite tour of 50 or 60 guys with no cut of like 10 events or whatever with mega payouts. The difference this time is it will be connected to world golf thru the DP and PGA Tour, i.e. not an invite tour, you have to qualify thru performance.
bthotugigem05
AG
No. PIF is the exclusive investor in a new umbrella entity that will own the PGAT, LIV, and DPWT. The individual companies operations will operate independently but their actions will be coordinated.

While the current form of LIV will almost certainly go away, I would imagine they will make LIV a more casual/party golf team tournament series that happens in the off-season.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, they aren't going to make this investment only to compete against themselves. Big picture, Saudi wanted a stake in a legit sport/league. LIV on its own was gonna be a losing bet, but now they'll have it with the PGAT itself instead. I expect some WGC style events because that is what the players want. Not sure on timing, but nothing that really splits fan attention. Some probably in offseason, but some at times when previous WGC events were. "LIV" and "elevated events" basically become one and likely branded something else altogether to refresh it all and leave some of the acrimony/controversy of the past 18 months behind.
JCA1
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Yeah, they aren't going to make this investment only to compete against themselves. Big picture, Saudi wanted a stake in a legit sport/league. LIV on its own was gonna be a losing bet, but they'll have it with the PGAT itself. I expect some WGC style events because that is what the players want. Not sure on timing, but nothing that really splits fan attention. Some probably in offseason, but some at times when previous WGC events were. "LIV" and "elevated events" basically become one and likely branded something else altogether

That's what I'm thinking too. Saudis got their stake in the Tour which is what they wanted all along. LIV, as a full time tour played opposite the PGAT, is likely done. However, its name may live on as a small series of WGC-style events integrated into the Tour schedule or a short run team event in the fall.
Bunk Moreland
JCA1 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Yeah, they aren't going to make this investment only to compete against themselves. Big picture, Saudi wanted a stake in a legit sport/league. LIV on its own was gonna be a losing bet, but they'll have it with the PGAT itself. I expect some WGC style events because that is what the players want. Not sure on timing, but nothing that really splits fan attention. Some probably in offseason, but some at times when previous WGC events were. "LIV" and "elevated events" basically become one and likely branded something else altogether

That's what I'm thinking too. Saudis got their stake in the Tour which is what they wanted all along. LIV, as a full time tour played opposite the PGAT, is likely done. However, its name may live on as a small series of WGC-style events integrated into the Tour schedule or a short run team event in the fall.

I think we all agree the LIV stuff will be spun up to some sort of WCG style circuit of some sort.

What I can't make sense of yet is there were reports that LIV players would have the chance to re apply for tour membership on a case by case basis with regards to the hoops they have to go through. I would not think they'd be saying that if it was just as simple as doing away with LIV and creating an all star entity as a replacement. It would be unfair to treat certain players differently if the goal is to roll them all back onto the PGAT and/or DP Tour.

If course they could just be saying that for now, but go back on their words when the full details come out too.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I expect that to be largely formality. The catch is some guys did formally "resign", and they do have rules that govern how players (all players) become a part of the Tour and remain part if the Tour. So they'll have to be somewhat formal about how they re-admit in order to keep the entire admission/retention structure from being viewed as willy-nilly and subject to being challenged in other ways
PJYoung
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

No. PIF is the exclusive investor in a new umbrella entity that will own the PGAT, LIV, and DPWT. The individual companies operations will operate independently but their actions will be coordinated.
Ah I had misunderstood.

They are the exclusive investor but minority owner.

I'm interested to see what % of their funds go into each entity.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Because keep in mind, many of these filler guys were not PGAT before and aren't PGAT quality now. They'll need something formal to filter those dudes back out. Looking at you Chase Koepka.
sts7049
AG
whatever rules they had though weren't considering both leagues being under the same umbrella. it makes zero sense to me to continue to enforce that now or make someone who went to LIV have to beg back into the PGAT

if they want to create a new rule/qualification structure for everyone under this new umbrella, then that is something else.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Like I said, it will be a formality. The guys that were on before will be back and I would imagine with extremely minimal actual hoops to go thru
MarathonAg12
Hey! What a coincidence!

98Ag99Grad
AG
They'll pay some sort of fine, sit for a month or so, then be back playing. My guess anyway.
JCA1
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

They'll pay some sort of fine, sit for a month or so, then be back playing. My guess anyway.
I tend to agree. PGA guys that didn't leave will demand some sort of penalty before letting the LIV guys back in.

And, like others have said, there are several on LIV that either weren't PGA eligible or they've lost their cards while on LIV. I assume they will have to re-qualify like any other person who doesn't have a card.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.