Aggiedrugist's article

2,012 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by scAg89
lazuras_dc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think I know who aggiedrugist is in real life now

https://www.golfwrx.com/700433/the-wedge-guy-why-modern-irons-dont-make-sense-to-me/
AggieDruggist89
AG
You found me out!!
AledoAg86
AG
You will have to share some Ben Hogan stories sometime.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Very cool..

We still need to meet up sometime and get a round in if you're still in NorCal.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Fellas... That's not me.

But what he wrote word by word is what I've been preaching for years that doesn't fit the narrative of many today. It's quite a find... Almost like he's been reading this forum and what I've been writing.
Obi Wan Ginobili
I don't think the stronger lofts are a problem as long as there are options for traditional lofts as well.

High handicappers, weekend hackers, etc, most don't give a **** about spin, workability, shot shaping. They want to hit the ball high and far and in the direction of the green. Who gives a **** if their 7 iron is equal to a tour pros 4 iron?

The loft/distance debate gets so in the weeds that most people forget we all suck and won't make money playing the game, so who cares how we choose to hack the course up on Saturday?
AggieDruggist89
AG
That's not the point of the article...

point being, and i've said this for years, that the hardest route to defend is a come-back when the CB's back is turned.

Almost every CB will have his back turned at some point when you are running a vertical route in man coverage.

When the receiver stops and comes back, he will almost ALWAYS have a huge advantage on the defender.

It's time we start using this a bit more.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Couldn't resist.

The point of the article is that the jacked up loft sells clubs but it doesn't help the hackers game as short irons are for precision distance control rather than more distance.

And not all golfers suck and want more loft and distance. Especially with irons.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

point being, and i've said this for years, that the hardest route to defend is a come-back when the CB's back is turned.

Almost every CB will have his back turned at some point when you are running a vertical route in man coverage.

When the receiver stops and comes back, he will almost ALWAYS have a huge advantage on the defender.

Now that's a callback.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Couldn't resist.

The point of the article is that the jacked up loft sells clubs but it doesn't help the hackers game as short irons are for precision distance control rather than more distance.

And not all golfers suck and want more loft and distance. Especially with irons.

Definitely not all golfers suck, but definitely most.
Obi Wan Ginobili
AggieDruggist89 said:

Couldn't resist.

I can't resist either.

The point of the article was to complain about lofts and then try to justify it with nonsense about gapping Wedges at the end of your bag. It aligns with your beliefs that clubs from 30 years ago are equal to todays technology (comically incorrect). Of course you agree with him.

In reality, todays clubs are PERFECT for hacks. Strong lofts and less spin means more greens hit and/or less dramatic misses by eliminating slices/hooks. All of a sudden, a 20+ handicapper doesn't have to miss the green 20 yards short and 15 yards right because of some bizarre preconceived notion that pitching wedges MUST BE 50* or more. All of a sudden, the game is more fun because you don't have to grind to suck less.

You're worried about hackers not having "precision distance control" at the wedge end of their bag? Since when do hackers hit the ball well enough for that to matter? They just want to ball to get up in the air and make it to the green. Spin rate doesn't mean **** to hackers.

"And not all golfers suck and want more distance".

No kidding, which is why I explicitly said there should be options for better golfers. But that's a small percentage of players.
scAg89
Quote:

Funny chit
WestTexAG
AG
Isn't the author an Aggie and at least be somewhat active on this forum?
clobby
AG
Yeah he's an Aggie. Don't know if he is here.
WestTexAG
AG
I left out "used to be", but digging into it, he wasn't exactly active at least as a known quantity. He only posted in 2 threads as wedgeguy, and one of them was this post promoting the brand.

https://texags.com/forums/60/topics/2284355/replies/35155718#35155718

Dude knows his stuff but can't seem to get traction on turning that into being the next Bob Vokey or Roger Cleveland. It's crazy how much luck is required to be successful in business but especially in the golf business.
AggieDruggist89
AG
OK, so Terry Kohlers wedge is called the Edison Wedge. I had seen the ad before and I was intrigued.

Because they're perimeter weighed design. It always baffled me that many proponents of the modern day game improvement irons swear by Vokey type of wedges that are just plain old muscle back design albeit grinds and bounce are customizable. Because most of my LW swings are partial swings, I hit the ball all over the club face while I do hit near the sweet spot with full swing short irons.

I just may try his wedge...

It's a shame more MISIG were sold through TexAgs with a promise of more distance while our own Aggie designed wedges that will probably lower many golfers score get overlooked.

Just beautiful.

AggieDruggist89
AG
Yes, I would put an iron head cover on the wedge as it's forged. Not the biggest fan of use of forged steel in irons. And forged iron feels like butter BS.
WestTexAG
AG
SCOR 4161 was another one of his brands.
Dude was also the CEO of the latest iteration of Ben Hogan golf and this responsible for the Ft Worth 15 line that was so amazing. He reminds me of the Snell guy in that he has great products but can't catch the right marketing break.
scAg89
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.