How cold is too cold to play golf?

8,734 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ag_in_Moscow
C ROC N
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We played in a 2 man tournament this past weekend at High Meadow Ranch, It was 40-42, 10-15 mph wind, and raining the whole day. Definitely the worst golfing weather I have played in since my younger days. We were clubbing up at least 2 sometimes 3-4 club difference from the day before!!
GigEmJake17
AG
As long as there is no frost delay, I'm in. Those are killer.
Big Shoulders
Having spent 20 years in Chicago, you know it's going to be a good day when your approach on the first hole lands on the green and bounces 15 feet in the air because the ground is frozen!
DGrimesAg92
AgfromHOU said:

I'll play in 50 and up if there's no rain.

This.
oldflyer
AG
Big Shoulders said:

Having spent 20 years in Chicago, you know it's going to be a good day when your approach on the first hole lands on the green and bounces 15 feet in the air because the ground is frozen!
Had the same thing happen at Gleneagles in Scotland. They delayed our tee time by an hour to let the greens warm up, but they were still frozen. One of our group hit his approach on #1 about two feet from the pin. His next shot was a chip back from 15 yards behind the green! It never really got above freezing that day.
El_Guero512
50 and up with no winds and sunny.
DannyDuberstein
AG
50 and up with sun and no wind is golf shorts weather for me
tlfw378
AG
I think it is situational for me. When my parents lived in Scotland, I played golf every day I could. The Christmas season provided me with some of the best golf memories. Frozen ground where one needed an ice pick to pre-drill a hole for the tee on the winter tee boxes to hitting putters off the tee box on frozen par 4s. I hate the color orange…except in the snow, orange golf balls are the easiest to find.

With friends and/or family, anytime is a good time. By myself, I'll be more picky.
C ROC N
Never too cold! That's when I go to the indoor golf 19th Hole Bar n Grill!
Quinn
AG
I'm married with two young kids, so if I get the green light to play, I will be out there unless it's a rain storm. I've played from 20 degrees to 110 degrees over the last few years.
NColoradoAG
40 degrees, sunny, no wind, you'll find me at the golf course.
Leander - Ag
AG
Played today. 40s lite wind. It was fine
DannyDuberstein
AG
Gonna be out there tomorrow AM when it's 30ish waiting the frost delay to be over
Duckhook
AG
Played in low 50's today with a pretty good breeze.

First time I've worn a hoodie playing golf and I loved it. Definitely felt like it kept my head and upper body warmer without the wind blowing on my neck. Plus, I liked being able to wear a regular golf hat with the hoodie pulled over it when I needed it. I'm sold.
ElCheAg
AG
Duckhook said:

Played in low 50's today with a pretty good breeze.

First time I've worn a hoodie playing golf and I loved it. Definitely felt like it kept my head and upper body warmer without the wind blowing on my neck. Plus, I liked being able to wear a regular golf hat with the hoodie pulled over it when I needed it. I'm sold.

Gonna try that tomorrow morning.
Matsui
AG
Did this as well. It definitely helps.
TecRecAg
AG
Started wearing a hoodie this year. Sometimes put a vest over it if it's really cold. Does wonders.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I've never double gloved ever.

But the winter gloves American Air bought for me are both hands. Well, I tried it. Both hands gloved, it makes a huge difference. Teed off at 35-36 degrees in Napa Ca and I was not cold the entire day.

I'm sold on winter gloves.
JCA1
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

But the winter gloves American Air bought for me are both hands. Well, I tried it. Both hands gloved, it makes a huge difference. Teed off at 35-36 degrees in Napa Ca and I was not cold the entire day.

Where did you play in Napa?
AggieDruggist89
AG
JCA1 said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

Chardonnay in American Canyon.
JCA1
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

JCA1 said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

How was it? We usually get out to Napa every August. Don't always get in golf but like to sneak in a round when I can.
AggieDruggist89
AG
JCA1 said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

JCA1 said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

How was it? We usually get out to Napa every August. Don't always get in golf but like to sneak in a round when I can.
It's our go to and we play it often. definitely not a resort high end course but a nice muni. There's another 18 called Eagle Vines that's connected somewhat but they're not operated as one. It's a great test of golf as it gets windy and some holes will play pretty long. We typically find online deals and it's $55 with cart.
boy09
AG
Just an Ag said:

Im coastal, so I hate to "layer up" to play golf. Layering up and golf do not go together.
50's calm, dry and sunny is ok. Mix in wind and/or rain and it goes downhill fast.
This. If i'm having to go too far out of my way to keep parts of my body warm and layering on more clothes, i don't want to play. Anything below 50 is probably a no-go
NColoradoAG
Played 9 Saturday. 35 degrees but sunny and no wind. It was a great walk.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The clothing tech these days has been super helpful for layering without bulk. Light, stretchy, yet still warm. Anything under 45-50 and I also break out the Hot Hands packets. Between a good warm knit cap, Hot Hands, and walking, I find that I really don't have to layer much even when it's really cold. I'm usually already peeling after hole 1
Duckhook
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

The clothing tech these days has been super helpful for layering without bulk. Light, stretchy, yet still warm. Anything under 45-50 and I also break out the Hot Hands packets. Between a good warm knit cap, Hot Hands, and walking, I find that I really don't have to layer much even when it's really cold. I'm usually already peeling after hole 1

Misread your post at first. I thought you said you were peeing after the first hole. I usually need to do that after about the third hole and have to start trying to find access through all of the layers. Between pants, thermals and boxers, nothing ever lines up.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Supposed to be in the 20s with strong winds Friday here in Houston. Anyone feel like getting 18 in?
TecRecAg
AG
I'm playing today and tomorrow before the storm. Bout as cold as I'll ever want to play in
clobby
AG
Today meets the criteria.
EliteElectric
clobby said:

Today meets the criteria.

The next several do for me
AggieLitigator
Just depends on the wind. 35 and Sunny I'll play

50 with 20 mph wind and I'm out
turfaggie24
AG
I've played in 20 mph North wind, 34 degrees, sleet, and had the course to myself. It was awesome! The colder the better. Not a fan of 100 degree plus golf but I'll do it.
"Anymore questions you wanna ask?"-John Wayne

AgfromHOU
AG
I've been planning for weeks to play golf today. Definitely too cold to play today.
Old School Brother
I have plans to play on Dec 27th in DFW.....it was supposed to be mid 40s when we started and get up to around 50. I just checked and it's changed to upper 30s when we start to low 40s for a high. Might have to reconsider.
CCred92
AG
Stopped by the club a few minutes ago to see if anybody was crazy enough to be out there. It was empty. Maybe some cards later.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.