How cold is too cold to play golf?

8,920 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ag_in_Moscow
kismet82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Temperature minus wind speed > 40 works for me
Old School Brother
About to answer this question. Temp is currently 30*…..tee time is in less than an hour, maybe delayed slightly for frost delay. I gave my buddies every opportunity to back out, but they want to play. I'll report back.
TecRecAg
AG
Have you thawed out yet?
Old School Brother
Played Waterchase. Tee time was at 10:21, but frost delay lasted until almost 11:30. We had been told we would be 3rd or 4th group off, but ended up being sent off first. Temp was mid to high 30s at that time. It really wasn't that bad. The wind wasn't too high and it was sunny. When we finished, it was around 50*.

A lot of the ponds remained frozen through most of the day. I got a picture of a ball sitting on top of on of the ponds out in the middle.

During the middle of the round, I was down to a long sleeve compression shirt, golf shirt and fleece vest, and had switched from the beanie to a regular hat. Later in the round, it was warmer, but the wind picked up, so I went back to the beanie.

I didn't play great overall, but had a birdie and a bunch of pars. Ended up losing our match when my buddy, who had played terrible all day, made a 30 footer for birdie on 17 (after skipping his tee shot off the pond), and then chipped in on 18 from 10 yards short of the green.
akag77
AG
Never too cold.we used to play the Iditarod classic golf tournament in Alaska in the 80's.18 holes on a frozen lake with your automobile as your cart.Beverege cart on every hole.350 yard drives with a 6 iron. ~10 to 20 degrees.About 150 avid players . Great fun!!!
The Tooth 77
clobby
AG
Pretty cold today with the freezing rain and wind, but wasn't that bad. Walking helped stay warm, the 3 guys I was paired with left after 10 holes. When the wind kicked up is what sucked.
BreNayPop
AG
We have golfed in the 30s and snow/sleet less than 3 months ago.

Wind sucks.

I like the 2 out 3 rule. It can be windy, cold, or with precipitation and I can play. But 2 of 3 is a 50/50. 3 out of 3 is a Hell No!
booradley
AG
Age minus 20.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Played at dawn in DFW. Good for the first 6, layers back on for the next 6, then pretty damn cold for the last 6.

There is one more variable I'd add to the cold-wind-rain combo and that is sunny vs cloudy. Absorbing some radiant heat makes a huge difference. I channel Gary Player and wear all black on a cold day if the sun will be out.
Ag_in_Moscow
I lived in London in 2010, and my Italian boss and his wife invited me out for golf one day that summer. I had hardly played in 10 years, but got the bug again that day, bad (and have it to this day).

A couple of years later we had both left the country (him to Milan, me to Moscow), but were both due to be in London in October for business trips. We made some arrangements to stay over the weekend and play out at Wentworth.

About 14 days before the trip I started checking the weather, and the long-range forecast showed a major Atlantic storm was supposed to hit that weekend. Most damned-accurate 2-week forecast I've ever seen. Three days out it was obvious the weather was going to suck. However, we had both made major arrangements for that golf weekend, and weren't going to cancel plans just because of some weather.

We ended up playing 54 holes, all three courses (East Course, The Edinburgh, and the West Course, which hosts the BMW Championship) in ok temps in the 40s, but howling winds and rain falling at about a 30* angle (almost sideways).

Had a lot of fun, but really wish it had been nice fall weather, though, instead of that which we encountered.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.