Breaking Par

1,982 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by dcrewint
BayAg_14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
At the beginning of the year I set a goal to break par for the first time. I have been playing golf for over 15 years and never broken par. As the year dragged on I started to think that it wasn't going to happen. Luckily the stars aligned today out at Bay Forest in La Porte. I shot four under on the front and three over on the back to finally get into red numbers for a round. Called my Grandfather, who taught me the game of golf, to tell him the good news after it was in the books! Excited I got to share that moment with him. A day I will never forget.
jonj101
Congrats - great achievement, and even greater that you got to share it with your grandfather.
Matsui
AG
Big time! Congrats. Heck of an accomplishment
JCA1
AG
I shot a 68 a couple weeks back but had to stop after 13 to do it.

But in all seriousness, congrats. That's impressive.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Very nice OP. And nice shout out for Bay Forest. Played a ton there as a kid and our district tourney used to be there in high school.
FTAco07
AG
Really random question, but does anyone know what the course record is at Bay Forest these days? My old man played there all the time and shared the record at 64 as of about 20 years ago.
agsalaska
AG
Congrats.

Breaking par is always a good day however few and far between those days are.

What did you make on 18?
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
BayAg_14
Made a bogey on 18. Hit a three wood off the tee to try and find the fairway. Leaked on me a bit but luckily held up before getting to the water on the right side of the fairway. Unfortunately ended up behind the one tree on the right side and had to flight a six iron that caught the back left side of the green. Left about a 50ft putt and ended up blowing it 8ft by. Cozied it up for a tap in bogey.
Pinche Guero
AG
Congrats! Also, I hate you
agsalaska
AG
Best three putt ever
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Question for you under par guys. How much time do you spend a week practicing? What does a typical golf week look like for you?
agsalaska
AG
I was never a true under par guy but was scratch for about a decade and shot or broke par with relative regularity. I needed to touch a golf club 8-10 times a month. On average six or so 18 hole rounds plus four practice/nine hole rounds.

I did learn that I could get away with a little less and still play, but more than that didn't make me any better. I spent about a year playing as much as I possibly could and it didnt matter. No amount of golf was going to make me better.

Now I play 6-8 times a year and am only about 5 shots worse than I was then.
REMARCH11
AG
Congrats on finally breaking par. The 1st one is always the most memorable.

Now that you've done it, you'll be able to do it again.
Retired Principal
AG
Love the course. Play it occasionally. Congrats on a great round. 18 is a tough hole. Long second shot into a green that is not very deep. Bogey is your friend on that hole.
dcrewint
I've been sitting between between a 2 and a +1 for the last 2 years I think? I probably hit 15-20 balls throughout the week. I putt about the same amount as well. I'd love to hit and putt more, but I don't have the time currently. When the pandemic hit I went from a 5 to +1 because I hit and played so much. Course management improved and I rarely ever go a week or more w/o doing something golf related.

So for me, after working on my game for a time as long as I maintain some kind of swing/putting stroke I rarely shoot worse than 3-5 strokes over par. When I'm under par more frequently I believe I'm typically hitting it closer from 125 and in and the short game is solid. Driver and long irons are rarely the major factor.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.