New Calloway Great Big Berthas

2,801 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BoDog
BoDog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Irons starting at $3100 and drivers around $700????

Maybe I didnt get the memo but I always thought these were a more entry level line? Are they forged? Gold plated? I get inflation but holy smokes this is insane?
bowhuntr
Tungsten!!! …that's silly, predatory marketing on wealthy double digit handicapers. They should spend $1200-$1500 on irons and $1200-$1500 on lessons for a year. Much better result than a precious metal iron.
E
AG
The $3,200 big bertha irons won't make their target 20+ handicapper any better then their $1k Rogue ST Max OS Irons...
BigHitterDaLama
About 2 months ago, I bought a set of PXG 0311Ts (Gen 2) that had been used about 5 or so times from a local guy. Gave him $550 for 5-PW.

These prices are for schmucks.
AggieDruggist89
AG
But but.. New technology....
bowhuntr
AggieDruggist89 said:

But but.. New technology....

So the ball can go further into the woods! I honestly feel bad for golf club engineers, having to find some "advancement" every year.
dcrewint
Their wording is attractive. It's ridiculously priced, but their PR team may be trying to target a certain audience with money and see how much they are willing to pay when they hear "increase launch and forgiveness", "increased swing speed and ball speed", and "light weight, easy to swing, and increased overall distance".
BoDog
AG
I would pay $10k if a set guaranteed me to break 80 each round. Until that day comes I will just keep swinging my old man clubs.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Quote:

So the ball can go further into the woods!
BoDog
AG
I bet they are half this amount by June. At this price point they are well into Muira territory.
C ROC N
20+ handicap players, find a cheap set of old Ping Eye 2 irons, then spend the rest of your money on a good, reputable swing coach!! Then spend 75-80% of your time practicing from inside 100 yards!!! Mainly chipping and putting!!
AggieDruggist89
AG
C ROC N said:

20+ handicap players, find a cheap set of old Ping Eye 2 irons, then spend the rest of your money on a good, reputable swing coach!! Then spend 75-80% of your time practicing from inside 100 yards!!! Mainly chipping and putting!!

I fully endorse this.

Just make sure the tournament you enter isn't enforcing the groove rules that prohibit some Ping Irons.
C ROC N
C ROC N said:

On my way to just practice chipping and putting maybe 2-3 hrs.
MW03
AG
Pretty interesting review from the TXG boys.

BoDog
AG
Not going to lie.... the curiosity is killing me. I would never pay that price but I feel like the specs are perfect for an aging dude like me.

For those who know more about this stuff than I do, are these pretty much a forged TM Stealth?
TecRecAg
AG
My fear is that any new driver is going to be $700 before long.
JR Ewingford
TecRecAg said:

You are right about that. I'm a dumbass and probably tried or had most clubs over the last 5 years. No reason, just fun to screw around with em. However, It's became a big meh. Things are all just the same driver wise now. Very little difference in anything. Irons, not much worth looking at. Maybe wedge and fairway woods only thing worth changing now.
CapCity12thMan
AG

Quote:

20+ handicap players

These people don't practice
BoDog
AG
JR Ewingford said:

TecRecAg said:

You are right about that. I'm a dumbass and probably tried or had most clubs over the last 5 years. No reason, just fun to screw around with em. However, It's became a big meh. Things are all just the same driver wise now. Very little difference in anything. Irons, not much worth looking at. Maybe wedge and fairway woods only thing worth changing now.
I completely agree. The wedges on the other hand all have a look and feel each their own. Find a good wedge that works and never depart from it.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Yall got it all wrong...

New is always better and if you're using old equipment, then you're just cheating yourself.

Go spend and spend!!
BoDog
AG
Yesterday I sneaked away to PGA SS to hit these. They felt extremely light (almost too light) but I am not going to lie, I was getting atleast 10 yards more than my Tour Edge irons. Location was also pretty dialed in. Consistently straight.

I also hit Driver but really didn't see any noticeable difference from my PING G425s.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.