Scottsdale Trip

5,552 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AustinCountyAg
AgOutsideAustin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks.

Yeah I wanted to play Quintero but my group really wants to keep it as close to $800 for four rounds as possible.
Mr.Bond
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Really enjoyed champions course when I played it in 2020.

Good to hear right now we are looking at TPC Champions, 36 at WeKoPa, and looking for one more round around $200 like E. We are going in April. Was going to do Sunridge Canyon but some of the reviews were surprisingly not good.

Have you played or heard anything about The Phoenician ?

Sunridge is phenomenal. I'm going to shamelessly plug Dinosaur Mountain again
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Bunk Moreland
I want to do dinosaur mountain next time we go
Mr.Bond
AG
Dinosaur Mountain.

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

AgOutsideAustin
AG
Yeah I may just stick with Sunridge, I know JJ really liked it too so that is why I checked it out.
Mr.Bond
AG
Seriously best ****in hot dog I've ever had

AgOutsideAustin
AG
Ok thanks I'll see what next Spring rates might be at Dinosaur. Great pics !
Mr.Bond
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

Ok thanks I'll see what next Spring rates might be at Dinosaur. Great pics !

Not cheap but much cheaper than the big names i.e. ghawk, Troon, wekopa etc

jja79
AG
I would be shocked if you don't love Sunrisge.
E
AG
G-Dammit… the hot dog might have convinced me
AgOutsideAustin
AG
jja79 said:

I would be shocked if you don't love Sunrisge.

Thanks JJ, Sunridge is up kind of up near WeKoPa and not far from where we are staying too.
jja79
AG
It's right off Shea Blvd and easy to get to. I think you mentioned Camelback Padre. I like the Ambiente course there better. Wildfire Palmer is also good I think.

Mr.Bond
AG
We enjoyed wildfire as well

AgOutsideAustin
AG
Thanks and we are staying on Shea Blvd.
AustinCountyAg
its hard to go wrong with any course in the area honestly.
Texas Ag 15
AG
I played and stayed at the Phoenician in June. The course is a very solid resort course. Not super long and pretty straight forward. The biggest surprise for me was how soft the greens and fairways were. I was expecting more roll, but balls were being stuck on greens from the amount of water they use. Locals I spoke with that play the course often say that is typical for them to extra water.

I would venture out to other courses people here have suggested, but it's definitely a good fallback option.
jja79
AG
Bond is right about Dinosaur IMO. Las Sendes in east Mesa off the 202 isn't far from there and it's underrated I think. I'm a cheapskate so I like the $160 saturday morning rate. It's in a neighborhood which isn't my favorite but I like it.

I also like Verrado Founder's course in Buckeye and it's cheaper than Las Sendes. It's right up against the White Tank mountains and has good views.

These and a lot of other really good course like We Ko Pa, Quintero, Whirlwind, etc are not in Scottsdale so you don't always have to go to the same places.
Duckhook
AG
jja79 said:

Bond is right about Dinosaur IMO. Las Sendes in east Mesa off the 202 isn't far from there and it's underrated I think. I'm a cheapskate so I like the $160 saturday morning rate. It's in a neighborhood which isn't my favorite but I like it.

I also like Verrado Founder's course in Buckeye and it's cheaper than Las Sendes. It's right up against the White Tank mountains and has good views.

These and a lot of other really good course like We Ko Pa, Quintero, Whirlwind, etc are not in Scottsdale so you don't always have to go to the same places.

I've not chimed in here, but since you brought up Verrado I will second your opinion of the course.

I'm going out to Phoenix with a group in February. We have stayed/played in Scottsdale a few times, but all of the courses on that side of town are getting a little pricey. We've started staying in Estrella Mountain Ranch in Goodyear and playing Golf Club of Estrella a couple of times, and then venturing further for a couple of rounds. We're playing Quintero this year and one other course that we haven't yet decided on. Estrella is a Troon Golf course, is always in good condition, and is a fair test. And, it's at a great price for February in Phoenix. Makes us okay with paying a little more for the other rounds.

Here's Estrella #17.

And, here's a pic of a bobcat right by the 18th tee. Looked to us like he has a quail in his mouth.
The Milkman
AG

Someone on Reddit compiled rates for many of the public courses in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area the week of the WM Open and Super Bowl. Pretty wild price hikes for what is sure to be a s*** show of a week
Mr.Bond
AG
So bummed Wickenburg went private.

I'm not sure if you paid for my trip that I'd go to waste management this year with super bowl in town. Gonna be a charlie foxtrot

Duckhook
AG
Mr.Bond said:

So bummed Wickenburg went private.

My group played Wickenburg in 2016. $110 green fee, which included a Travis Matthews shirt and a Travis Matthews quarter zip. Course had recently re-opened at that time. Hardly anybody playing. Great condition. Best golf deal of my life.
Ag_07
AG
Trying to throw together a short trip to Scottsdale coming up here in April/May.

How hot is it during early May? Too hot for afternoon rounds?

Ideally trying to do 18 Friday after we arrive the 36 Sat but not sure if that's doable.
AustinCountyAg
Ag_07 said:

Trying to throw together a short trip to Scottsdale coming up here in April/May.

Ideally trying to do 18 Friday after we arrive the 36 Sat but not sure if that's doable.
very doable. We played in May couple years ago. did 18 day we flew in, 36 the next at we ko pa, and 18 the next. We thought about doing 36 on the last but we got to drinking and decided not to.

Weather got a little warm in the afternoon, but not bad at all. Not to mention sun come up early before 6 so if you tee off one of the first in the morning and play 36 back to back you can be done by 3 or earlier.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Ag_07 said:

We are going third weekend in April and probably looking at 80's to mid 90's historically. Didn't want to go later than that. 18 TPC Champions arrival day, 36 at WeKoPa, then 18 at Sunridge Canyon.
Bunk Moreland
We did Memorial Day 2020 and it was hot but easily doable. Much hotter at TPC than up at Troon.

E
AG
Keep the beer on ice and everything will be ok
AustinCountyAg
that brings up a good point. If your wanting to do 36, do it at we ko pa or somewhere up in the montains a bit. In fact in May when we did 36 there we were in pullover for the first 18 because it was cool.
TThom
Played the Saguaro course last week at We Ko Pa. Had an 830 tee time w frost delay for 1.5 hours. Couldn't have asked for a better day in the end. No wind. Course was in fantastic shape. By the back 9 we were down to short sleeves. Only regret was I wished we played the Cholla course. But will do the 36 holes next time. I was told if you play 36 the second round is half off in the afternoon
AustinCountyAg
TThom said:

Played the Saguaro course last week at We Ko Pa. Had an 830 tee time w frost delay for 1.5 hours. Couldn't have asked for a better day in the end. No wind. Course was in fantastic shape. By the back 9 we were down to short sleeves. Only regret was I wished we played the Cholla course. But will do the 36 holes next time. I was told if you play 36 the second round is half off in the afternoon
Its a fantastic set up and place. Both courses are unique in their layouts and have their highlights. FWIW though I prefered Cholla. Some of the tee shots and approach shots are more memorable to me. Some people piss on blind tee shots, but coming from Texas and not getting that elevation change as much I dont mind it on golf trips. I am not expecting to shoot personal records. I am there for the good time and memories.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.