Anyone had a fitting at PXG Houston?

7,464 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Johnny Foosball
EliteElectric
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have become more and more intrigued by PXG after hitting a few 211 irons a friend has and noticed they have a store/fitting center in HTX. I would be coming from College Station down there for a weekday morning, anyone have any experience with that location or PXG experience they would be willing to share? Likes, dislikes, opinions?
CapCityAg89
AG
Guessing here. But it'll be damn pricey.
Broncos
PXG occasionally does fittings at Miramont. The rep told me they're open to the public if you schedule ahead.

They definitely have high quality customer service.
jlb82
AG
Had a full bag fitting there last week. Really nice new store that just opened in May. Any fitting there is $50 whether full bag or something less in scope. Fitter spent close to two hours with me and we still had some issues to make decisions on (i.e. wedge gapping, etc.). He invited me back for another fitting this week at no charge. Probably going to pull the trigger tomorrow on a Gen 4 full bag promotion that includes 14 clubs and a golf bag. You can see the promo on their website.
Aggie369
AG
They just measure your wallet
EliteElectric
Got it done today, ordered last gen 211's 4-lw.
Young lady who fitted me was awesome!
cevans_40
AG
EliteElectric said:

Got it done today, ordered last gen 211's 4-lw.
Young lady who fitted me was awesome!

Go on.....
EliteElectric
She just was.

Fe- While we waited for a bay she put a kids shaft on a putter so my 8yo could putt while we waited. She was patient, attentive, very knowledgeable, listened to what my goals were, and as a bonus was VERY easy on the eyes. She didn't try to upsell anything and just a few minutes ago actually text me to say she enjoyed working with me today and wanted me to let her know if anything was not to my liking when my clubs came in. From my limited exposure PXG customer service is awesome.
jlb82
AG
Just to follow up, I ordered the Gen 4 full bag promo on 7/15 and received everything yesterday, 7/22. Have not played with them yet but everything appears to be as ordered. Would agree on the good customer service. After I ordered the set, they lowered the price by $300 a couple of days later. Called and they immediately agreed to refund me the difference before I even received my clubs.
EliteElectric
My brother has an 11 am appointment this morning for a fitting, fitter called ahead last night to discuss his current bag and what his goals are for the fitting. The more stories I hear about PXG customer service, coupled with my own personal experience there Saturday, and the fact that they are American made and very proudly pro American military, the more I like my decision to switch to PXG.
E
AG
Did the fitter immediately go try to fit you into the newest clubs like they do at other fitters, or did they suggest you try out previous editions?

I like how they are fitting to previous generations with seemingly no issues doing it.
EliteElectric
E said:

Did the fitter immediately go try to fit you into the newest clubs like they do at other fitters, or did they suggest you try out previous editions?

I like how they are fitting to previous generations with seemingly no issues doing it.
Never even tried. I told them what I wanted and no attempt whatsoever to upsell. Even joked when we tried an exotic shaft that hopefully I didn't love those because they were 100 per club add. I was really impressed with the whole experience.
EliteElectric
annnnd just got the email, custom clubs are on the way should be here Friday, less than a week to ship deliver 10 irons custom spec.
EliteElectric
annnd, the eagle has landed. Cannot say enough good things about PXG Houston and the whole process. Got fitted Saturday, custom spec custom built clubs (4-LW) delivered in less than a calendar week!
EliteElectric
Went back yesterday and got fitted for a driver 0211 in 9* with a Fujikura Pro 2.0 and plus 2 swing weight
and a 5th gen 3 wood with same shaft in standard swing weight.
t - cam
AG
EliteElectric said:

Went back yesterday and got fitted for a driver 0211 in 9* with a Fujikura Pro 2.0 and plus 2 swing weight
The 0211 driver is the absolute best value in golf. It's often on sale for less than 200.00 and performs as well as any driver I've hit. Got a new job last fall and was going to get a new driver as a treat to myself. Hit a bunch of clubs and decided to go with the 0211 since I hit it as good or better than any other club I tried and it was sometimes less than half the price of other clubs.

EliteElectric
t - cam said:

EliteElectric said:

The 0211 driver is the absolute best value in golf. It's often on sale for less than 200.00 and performs as well as any driver I've hit. Got a new job last fall and was going to get a new driver as a treat to myself. Hit a bunch of clubs and decided to go with the 0211 since I hit it as good or better than any other club I tried and it was sometimes less than half the price of other clubs.
yeah I hit all 3 of PXG's drivers 211/Gen4/5 and also hit Stealth and a Cobra driver elsewhere and landed on the 0211 with that Fujikura shaft. I have a moderate swing speed and the 0211 performed great for me and even with the bougie shaft was only 400 delivered. It came in yesterday so I'll be working it out this afternoon.
EliteElectric
Played today, definitely longer and straighter than my old GBB Epic. At least +10-15
antman8504
AG
I got fitted a couple weeks back and landed on a gen 5 driver, fairway and hybrid. All really good and really fair pricing compared to other brands now. I got the driver for $299 and It is their latest model. They spent a full 1.5 hours fitting me for the 3 clubs. The hybrid and 3 wood are really really good.

Once the gen 4 irons go to the next level of discount, down to 129, I will probably get a set. I can't believe I am going to have a full bag of pxg but their prices now are just too good to pass up.
EliteElectric
So a little update-

Scores have been coming down little by little. After a 15+ year hiatus from golf I started back in earnest in February, historically a single digit hcp my handicap opened at 15, got as high as 18 and then started back down. Plateaued at 15 which was pretty disheartening. In July I got fitted and purchased all new gear at a cost of around $1500 all in. Only thing I kept in the bag were my putters (alternate between a Scotty and a 20+ YO Odyssey).

Well the driver has paid big dividends, I almost never miss a fairway now. The 211 replaced a TM M6 and an Epic GBB, distance, dispersion and misses are all greatly improved. Wednesday, in my normal weekly game, I finally got back in the 70's, shot an easy stress free 79. It's taken me 7 months to get back to a decent level of ball striking and scoring but I finally feel positive about the work I've been putting in.

I highly recommend a fitting, I can see a difference in overall scoring and ball striking that I would not have thought possible without getting the fitting. It has made a believer out of me.

AggieOC
AG
I did my fitting up in Farifax, VA back in April as I was working in DC. I got fitted for the full bag 14 clubs Gen 5's. Price was a little out of my range ($5500) so I decided to wait and in August the drivers went on sale so I ordered it for half price. I ordered my fairways and putter since then from the same sales representative that helped me out. My game has seen a significant improvement with PXG. I am patiently waiting to order the irons to complete my bag. They are definitely well worth the investment and the wait as I have seen several sales in the past two months.

NOTE: If you are Law Enforcement or Military they offer a Hero's discount. The owner is prior military.
bowhuntr
I have played the gen 2s the last three years and still really enjoy what they do for my game. I initially bought a full bag (minus putter). I have since changed out the driver as trackman indicated I was getting 1000 more rpm on my pxg driver vs the new rogue. This is very noticeable if you have never used a trackman. My coach mentioned he agrees the pxg irons and wedges are special, but he routinely sees the woods and drivers get out performed by some of the other brands.
AustinCountyAg
I've been gaming a cobra drive that is close to ten years old. I love it and can't find anything to replace it. However, I'm planning on going to get fitted this month or next for a PXG driver. With the current prices they have plus cost of the fitting it's too good of a deal for me to hold out any longer.
bowhuntr
AustinCountyAg said:

I've been gaming a cobra drive that is close to ten years old. I love it and can't find anything to replace it. However, I'm planning on going to get fitted this month or next for a PXG driver. With the current prices they have plus cost of the fitting it's too good of a deal for me to hold out any longer.

I would not be surprised if your Cobra has better spin rates than the PXG.
clobby
AG
PXG deal going on right now. $89 for fairway metals and some deals on drivers.
akm91
AG
clobby said:

PXG deal going on right now. $89 for fairway metals and some deals on drivers.
$300 for 0211 Driver, 3 wood and a hybrid, combined.

PXG Hot Deals
AustinCountyAg
how long does this "deal" last?
terradactylexpress
Until they run out of clubs, I got fit recently and they were starting to run low of a lot of items
AustinCountyAg
just made my appointment for next week. Anxious to see if the "vintage Cobra" gets knocked outa the bag or not.
terradactylexpress
I can't see how it doesn't, even if only a better shaft. I hit a TM M6 and even that I was getting 7+ more mph ball speed with their setups vs the TM
EliteElectric
terradactylexpress said:

Until they run out of clubs, I got fit recently and they were starting to run low of a lot of items
Have had 3 different friends try to get in on the 0211 deal I got in on and all three said no longer in stock. When PXG blows something out they price it to go! My brother and I both got iron sets for under 900, and it seems that deal vanished in the wind when stock ran out.
terradactylexpress
Yeah I got some gen 4 stuff and a 211 5w, but the pickings were slim. The guy at the fitting showed me the stock for the g4 stuff and it was less than 100 when I ordered
[img]http://www.unicron.us/tf1985/cartoon/dinobots2.jpg[/img]
clobby
AG
Ordered a 5w for $98 shipped.
AustinCountyAg
had my fitting this past friday and it was a good experience. Vey professional staff and the set up in awesome inside. Was hoping I could get into the previous model driver to save some cash, but I wasn't able to hit the driver head there since I am LH and they didn't have any there in my loft to hit. Settled on the new gen 5 driver in an upgraded shaft.

Like another poster above said the spin #'s on the PXG are higher than my previous driver, however my spin #'s with my old Cobra were insanely low. in the mid 1000's. With the PXG I was getting about 10 yards more carry and more height on my drives. so it should help my game since I am not a long hitter.

ETA: over the weekend the price of the driver went down. I called and they gave me my difference back in credit to spend online. Great customer service.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Buddy got a driver with the deals they have going on right now and loves it. I went ahead and ordered a 3wood this morning for $181.00 incl tax. Shipping is still free. I saw some used ones at PGA Superstore over the weekend for more than that so what the hell.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.