Why is iron head cover frowned upon?

8,233 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by agracer
REMARCH11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jj9000 said:

Some Junkie Cosmonaut said:

REMARCH11 said:

I cover my irons, I take a lot crap for it from my buddies, my irons are 4 years old and they look virtually brand new. I also always keep my woods covered, even with my iron head cover I don't want anything hitting the heads or the shafts.

Do they also give you hell for wearing a glove on both hands?

Even if they did the MoFo would just reply with "Scoreboard"...since he drops mid-high 60s in Tournament play. Mainly b/c he can putt with my old putter better than I could. Iron covering...2 glove wearing....A-hole.

This is a 100% accurate statement!!
CyclingAg82
AG
austinag1997 said:

CyclingAg82 said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

I don't use them because I use 22 year old cast iron set. But you betcha I will cover my irons if they were Miura forged muscle backs.. And I'd take a penalty drop instead of scuffing my irons.

So for those y'all who frown upon iron covers, do you keep driver head cover on? Why?
My buddy is getting ready to buy the Miura CB 301's. I have the 50, 56 and 60 degree wedges and will think twice about using them in the rocks, and we have plenty of that in San Antonio.

You aren't supposed to hit off of rocks. Move your ball. Good irons are to expensive to beat up. Just like you aren't supposed to hit off the cart path.
Oh I take relief whenever I can and appropriate, but sometimes dirt covers the rocks.......
JYDog90
AG
ElCheAg said:

Iron covers to avoid hearing the iron heads "clank" while carrying my bag when I play a round.

I love that sound. It's like a metronome
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Nom de Plume
AG
Proud white belt wearer.

Former iron cover user when I could only afford new blades if I could sell my current set to one of you jokers as "like new."

Club brush is essential and it's stupid to think otherwise. Do we have to use other methods because this one is just too easy and Golf doesn't like that?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Nom de Plume said:

Club brush is essential and it's stupid to think otherwise. Do we have to use other methods because this one is just too easy and Golf doesn't like that?

Yea anyone who frowns on a club brush is a dolt.
aggiedent
AG
I got new forged irons. I'm putting iron cover covers on my iron covers for double protection.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I'd leave the plastic on the irons..
EliteElectric
AggieDruggist89 said:

I'd leave the plastic on the irons..
XpressAg09
AG
booradley said:

I'll start a list of don't's….

Colored tees

These count?
jonj101
Someone explain the matching headcover issue to me.

Not irons, but what's wrong with the long clubs having matching headcovers?
boy09
AG
And i'm still waiting for anyone to explain why colored tees are unacceptable. I've literally never heard anyone comment one way or the other on the color of tee that someone is using.
Chipotlemonger
AG
boy09 said:

And i'm still waiting for anyone to explain why colored tees are unacceptable. I've literally never heard anyone comment one way or the other on the color of tee that someone is using.

Yea whichever poster added that to this thread is smoking something.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
So the same guys worried about pace of play with iron covers say that a club brush is a no-no? Guess they don't mind waiting for someone to clean each groove out with a tee after a chunked practice swing.
Duckhook
AG
WestTexAG said:

DargelSkout said:

booradley said:

I'll start a list of don't's….

Iron covers
Staff bags
Stroke counters
Anything your mother in law gave you for Christmas
More than 3 bag tags
Colored tees
Divot tool that's anything other than a divot tool
Thing on the end of your putter that picks up a ball
Matching headcovers
Uodate: ball retrievers
Club brush

Please add your own and spare me if you're offended by my list….

I agree with almost everything on your list except the club brush. How do you clean the iron grooves between shots?

I use an ice cube out of the cooler on the cart, and it works impressively well. Had an old drunkard golf pro show me this trick, and he was dang proud of it.

I have tried this since you first posted and it does work pretty well.
agracer
AG
Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

I have soft, American flag sock like covers on my irons. I love them because I don't have to listen to the loud clack of the irons when I'm driving the cart. Nobody has ever said a thing about them except that they liked the American flag theme. I've played golf almost my entire life and I will never understand the guys that say "you shouldn't have iron covers". Why not? They protect your clubs and are a lot quieter whether you are walking or riding.
This, and I'm always the fastest in any group I'm in b/c slow players are a huge pet peeve of mine.

If I'm riding, taking the cover off adds all of 1/2-second to me pulling the club out and less than that putting it back into the bag.

If I'm walking I'm reaching back and pulling the cover off before I get to the ball and pull my club out when I set the bag down.

I TAKE A LOT LESS TIME TO ON/OFF THE COVER THAN ALL YOU GUYS WITH YOUR RANGE FINDERS HITTING 40-YARDS RIGHT AND 20-YARDS SHORT!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.