Separating from the Navy and moving to Houston

2,006 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Nathan_gee
Nathan_gee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As the title suggests I am separating from the Navy and moving to Houston after serving for 5 years. I picked up golf during my time in the Navy and I am looking to continue improving by joining a club once I move back.

I've already secured a project engineering job in town, and will be looking to buy a townhouse somewhere near the heights/midtown/medcenter/EADO. I've seen the big thread about houston golf that was started in 2017, but I was wondering if anyone on the board had any suggestions for junior level membership that would be reasonably within my means as I will just be starting out in the civilian workforce as an engineer.

Thanks for all the help! Gig em

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Plenty of public courses around town. Save your money, unless the club is your thing. If so, cool, I think there is a thread on the Houston board about clubs, but maybe on this board.
TexAgs1992
Congrats on the move! If you're living in Houston proper, don't spend the money on a club and just play Memorial Park, Gus Wortham, and GCOH primarily. You'll get more variety and it'll be much cheaper.
evestor1
I'd play Memorial for real golf and Herman Park for fun golf. I loved playing Herman back in the day for a quick round.

As far as joining a club. I'd probably wait until you know where you plan on living more long term.
Tx_Aggie15
AG
Gus & Memorial is going to be the best value for the price. Once you make your move make sure to update your license to a Houston residence so that you get the resident pricing instead of paying $100+ per round at Memorial.
Alta
AG
If you really want a private club then take a look out at Riverbend in Sugar Land. I've never been a member myself but have enjoyed my visits out there, relatively affordable (or at least it was a couple of years ago) and really good young membership. A fine drive depending on when you are headed out there.
aggiedent
AG
You do realize Houston is full right? I believe El Paso has some openings.
E
AG
If youre looking for a realtor to help you find your house and that knows alot about Houston golf, i'm your man!

I'll second the play Memorial Park/Gus Wortham for a bit til you find the right club for you.

Plenty of decent public $100 or less rounds in the Houston area that would be cheaper then a club.

Memorial Park (need to prove Houston residence), Gus Wortham, Cypresswood Tradition, Cypress Lakes (when its not dried out), Golf Club of Houston Tournament (afternoon or 11am hot deal), The Wilderness (a bit of a drive down south), BlackHorse, High Meadow Ranch, Houston National, Wildcat.
AgLA06
AG
Yah, as others of have outside of the munis there isn't a lot of options for normal dudes like us who live in town. Paying thousands of dollars up front and hundreds each month to drive 45 minutes to the club isn't ideal.
Nathan_gee
Thanks for all the responses. Luckily I'm from Houston born and raised so I've maintained a TX license and Houston residency while serving in the Navy.

I guess I was trying to weigh the cost/benefit of being a member if I'm trying to play every week. I'll take a look at some of yall's suggestions and see if it might be better to just play public. I wasn't sure if there was something in the $100-$150/month range that would make sense to pay for a membership.
JCA1
AG
Nathan_gee said:

Thanks for all the responses. Luckily I'm from Houston born and raised so I've maintained a TX license and Houston residency while serving in the Navy.

I guess I was trying to weigh the cost/benefit of being a member if I'm trying to play every week. I'll take a look at some of yall's suggestions and see if it might be better to just play public. I wasn't sure if there was something in the $100-$150/month range that would make sense to pay for a membership.

As a rough estimate, most clubs you're looking at a 5-figure initiation and about $700/month in dues.
Nathan_gee
Definitely out of my price range. Wasn't sure if there was cheaper stuff for young/junior memberships. Thanks for the info!
Pinche Guero
AG
I had the Club Corp golf membership through the Downtown club, it was maybe $200 a month. There were about 15 courses you could play around town, but some wouldn't let you book saturdays with that membership. Something to look into.
JCA1
AG
Nathan_gee said:

Definitely out of my price range. Wasn't sure if there was cheaper stuff for young/junior memberships. Thanks for the info!
You may find some deals out there if you are still fairly young, but they are harder to come by than they were a few years back. COVID was a boon to country clubs. A lot of the clubs around town that were begging for members 5 years ago now have waiting lists.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Nathan_gee said:

There are definitely Junior Executive rates out there. But, if you're using the cost of your weekly green fees per month as the critical metric, don't bother with club membership as it will almost never be cheaper.

When you want the amenities and benefits of being a member of private club, and are willing to pay more for them, then start looking.
Nathan_gee
Thank you for the advice
bowhuntr
Nathan, thanks for your time in the Navy…I'm also a Navy guy and have gone the private route at about half of my duty stations over my career (they often waive initiation for AD if you're only there a few years).

One thing I've learned - it takes time to figure out if a club is right for you long term. Agree with the board - don't dive in immediately. Your social circle could also play a role in the decision as well. Ultimately, club golf is about having fun playing the game with people you enjoy hanging out with. If it were me, I would do the muni route for a year or two while taking your time exploring the private route.

…and yes, there is no cost savings…but it's hard to put a price on 3 hr, 30 min Saturday morning round. Tell the significant other it's all about TIME savings.
Nathan_gee
No significant other yet, but good advice all the same. Thank you!
Alta
AG
Should have mentioned that when you make it to Houston then shoot me a PM. Happy to have you out for a round at Houston Oaks.
Nathan_gee
Sounds great! I'll be sure to do that
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.