Newish to Golf need some guidance

1,069 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Southside AG
JohnnieT
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not new to the game, but I'm looking to buy my first set or clubs/irons. I inherited some old irons from my dad 15 years ago and want some new ones. I've never been fitted for a set. I don't know if I need stiff shafts etc. Should I go into a Dicks and have someone there help me figure it out?
Tx_Aggie15
AG
Getting fitted is definitely the way to go
Alta
AG
Where are you located - better places to get fitted.
Unemployed
AG
Poorly fitted clubs will only lead to forming bad habits. Even if your swing changes as you progress, you can always get re-fitted. It's easier to adapt to new clubs with a fundamentally sound swing.
JohnnieT
AG
I live in north Fort Worth
Matsui
AG
Go to Leonard golf links in west Fort Worth. Outdoor spot. Excellent fitters. Or call them and ask when their next major demo day is. All manufacturers are there
CapCityAg89
AG
Get fitted. And buy last year's clubs. Will be discounted without any real tech loss.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
You trying to do this on the cheap, or do this right? Gotta pick one and we go from there. No judgment on either choice.
stuffandstufflikedat
AG
What Matsui posted… go to Leonard Golf in west Fort Worth… you can thank Matsui later.
clobby
AG
I am in a similar situation as yourself, I started about a year ago. I got fitted early but my swing was in such a disarray it was hard to be properly fit. I would say get a few lessons in and then go get fitted, unless you already have a decent swing/scores. I struggled with decent contact in my fitting and my fitter just ended up giving me an impromptu lesson.
Southside AG
AG
I second Clobby. It's best to swing somewhat consistent and then get fit. Get a lesson or two and work on your swing and then get your fit in a couple months.

Also, make sure you know the lofts of your current irons and whatever irons you try out. Todays 7 iron is yesterday's 6 iron from a loft perspective so you may not really be hitting further.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.