Public courses near Kemah

1,618 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Funky Winkerbean
Blanco Jimenez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going with the family for a couple weekdays in the middle of July. I'd like to find a public course where I can play a quick round if possible. I'm used to playing a goat track muni in Beeville so anything is a step up from that so it doesn't have to be fancy. Just something new/different.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Public
Bay Forest is pretty good
Timber Creek is good
Beacon Lakes is a goat ranch
The Bayou is interesting course, but conditions are usually not great
Moody is the best and is the most expensive.
Hou-Ag
AG
Moody Gardens was in great shape last Saturday.
Ag83
AG
Timber Creek is a nice choice as well though I haven't played it in a few years.
Retired Principal
AG
Bay Forrest is 15 minutes from Kemah. Nice course. I like the setup. Back to back par 5s to start the back.
Mr.Bond
AG
Moody is best option by far within 30 minutes or so.
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

txcincinnatus
AG
Moody Gardens and Bay Forest are probably your best bets. Pasadena muni is also an option if others book up.
jonj101
My vote is for Moody as well. It can obviously get very windy, but I'd take it over the others.

Timber Creek has a great layout amongst the three nines, but the greens ruin the entire experience for me.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Bay Forest
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
Mr.Bond
AG
jonj101 said:

My vote is for Moody as well. It can obviously get very windy, but I'd take it over the others.

Timber Creek has a great layout amongst the three nines, but the greens ruin the entire experience for me.

What Greens lol
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

ElCheAg
AG
jonj101 said:

Damn! Has Timber Creek's greens fallen that far down? I played it once or twice last year and the greens were okay.
jonj101
I'm still on IR, so I haven't been out there lately. But when I went they had a lot of patches and were bumpy.

BTW - did you ever get rid of those Hogan irons?
jackie childs
Mr.Bond said:

Moody is best option by far within 30 minutes or so.
Moody during the week is a pretty tough value to beat.

I'll warn you though, if they've gotten rain within a week of your trip, pack some serious bug spray. those island mosquitos can get pretty thick
gbreaux361
If you want to play the CC in Beeville we have a good group that plays every week.
Poot
Timber Creek going downhill is a real shame… they have a pretty cool 27 hole complex with a bunch of really good holes out there. I hope that place can get back to what it was somehow. I'm on the other side of town, but still…
Mr.Bond
AG
Poot said:

Timber Creek going downhill is a real shame… they have a pretty cool 27 hole complex with a bunch of really good holes out there. I hope that place can get back at to what it was somehow. I'm on the other side of town, but still…

They need to change breed of grass. Way too many greens and tee boxes don't get enough sunlight

98Ag99Grad
AG
txcincinnatus said:

Moody Gardens and Bay Forest are probably your best bets. Pasadena muni is also an option if others book up.

Pasadena Muni aka Ellington. Man I haven't been there in forever. Can't imagine it's improved with age.
Poot
Mr.Bond said:

Poot said:

Timber Creek going downhill is a real shame… they have a pretty cool 27 hole complex with a bunch of really good holes out there. I hope that place can get back at to what it was somehow. I'm on the other side of town, but still…

They need to change breed of grass. Way too many greens and tee boxes don't get enough sunlight

Sounds like a zoysia solution in the trouble spots to me (tee boxes, anyway)… but I'm not an agronomist.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Got paired with a couple old farts 3 weeks ago at bay forest, and they said the Pasadena greens were the best in the area. They did not comment on the rest of the course!
Ol_Ag_02
AG
I just wish the old San Jac 9 hole was still around. $9 for kids to play as much as you want. Put four or five clubs on the handlebars and ride my bike over to play all summer morning.
Retired Principal
AG
Heard Pasadena Muni was in good shape.
I played San Jac as a kid. Grew up in that at area. It was cheap!
Avoid Battleground. When the city of Deer Park ran it, it was one of the better public courses in the area. Ownership has changed hands. Just awful.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

I just wish the old San Jac 9 hole was still around. $9 for kids to play as much as you want. Put four or five clubs on the handlebars and ride my bike over to play all summer morning.
It was $3 when I used to play it.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.