Best golf within 1 hour of College Station

4,657 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by t - cam
AggieP18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What is the best public golf course within 1 hour-ish of College Station? I've got family in town in July and the campus course has a tourney that Saturday.

Looked at High Meadow Ranch as an option. Conroe have any gems?
oldag00
AG
Ravens Nest in Huntsville is historically pretty good, but I haven't played it this year. Last summer several greens were still recovering from the February 2021 freeze. But it seemed they were actively working on them.

Pecan Lakes in Navasota could be decent, but their greens were terrible by the end of last summer, and I do t think they've done anything to repair them.
Aggie369
AG
Blackhorse North and South
High Meadow Ranch
Ravens Nest
Krondaddy
Briarcrest is pretty solid imo
oldag00
AG
I haven't played there since they re-grassed the greens last summer. Did that turn out well?
Krondaddy
Yeah I'm a student and played all the time, $9 to walk, greens were very good I thought!
E
AG
High Meadow Ranch would be your best bet from a Houston area course.

I'd skip Black Horse, its more expensive and farther from CS. If you'd want to play 36 then it would be a decent option.
jja79
AG
I would rather play HMR twice than both of the Blackhorse courses.
ElCheAg
AG
The Links at West Fork in Conroe is an option. (I haven't been in 3 or so years, but I always thought of it as an above average track.)
giddings_ag_06
AG
Have you heard of TPC Giddings? Definitely a diamond in the rough.
oldag00
AG
Brenham CC is actually a decent course, too. Small greens with a couple of quirky holes and a few really enjoyable holes.
_lefraud_
AG
Whispering Pines if you know people
giddings_ag_06
AG
oldag00 said:

Brenham CC is actually a decent course, too. Small greens with a couple of quirky holes and a few really enjoyable holes.

Course is good, but when a cart is almost $30 on top of green fees, I'd look at other options for the money. I played there 2 weeks ago and it was a 5 hour round.
Alta
AG
Walden on Lake Conroe is easy to get on and a fun course.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Bluebonnet.....

/old ass Ag
dcrewint
I went there about a year ago and it was absolutely awful. They swapped the order. Back 9 I'd the front 9. Which makes no sense (except you now play to the clubhouse for the finish) since the range and short game is right by what is now 10(was #1).

The restrooms cabins were nothing short of what I assume a port a potty looked like in the dead of summer after a full week of concerts during Woodstock.

Now they may have fixed their mess but I doubt it.
FbgTxAg
AG
Thisguy1
Pecan lakes is probably the worst 18 hole course within an hour with the way their greens are. They didn't do a thing to repair them from the freeze. On top of that, it's still about $50 to play out there on a weekend and they'll still fill up the tee sheet.

I think Raven Nest, now called Bearkat course, is like $30-40 and is a million times nicer. It used to be byob as well but we haven't played it since before the freeze so idk if it's changed.
ElCheAg
AG
Oh yeah, almost forgot:

http://www.grandlakegolfclub.com/-rates-and-fees
WhoopN06
giddings_ag_06 said:

I thought it was Giddings National Golf Club
dcrewint
I liked Grand Lakes. I haven't been back in 3 years or so. However, I remember someone either on here or maybe a friend of mine saying it wasn't doing so well a year or 2 ago. I know they don't pump $ in that place, but it used to be a gem due to it's remoteness. If anyone does hit that place up anytime soon please report back.

I'd probably say HMR, Brenham or BearKat is your best public options.
dcrewint
Are you against paying a little extra to play a private course?
Aggie369
AG
If it's private u normally can't just pay extra
giddings_ag_06
AG
WhoopN06 said:

giddings_ag_06 said:

I thought it was Giddings National Golf Club

Whatever you want to call it, it's something everyone should see in their life. And cheap beer.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Alta said:

Walden on Lake Conroe is easy to get on and a fun course.
It's private. How is it easy to get on?
Alta
AG
Picking up the phone and calling them. You can make tee times a week out as a non-member. They advertise it on their website.

I know they say their private but that isn't really private in my opinion.

dcrewint
Aggie369 said:

If it's private u normally can't just pay extra
Yes, I know. I asked because I am a member at a local club and could host if it's 3 people or less and not during July 14th-18th.
Aggie369
AG
Ah, got ya
That makes sense
Wicked Good Ag
_lefraud_ said:

Whispering Pines if you know people
I would wave the one hour rule of BCS for this
mosesrab90
AG
Hearne National is a pretty sweet track
beerag04
AG
Played Grand Lakes on Monday and really enjoyed it. The greens were not fast, but they were rolling pretty true. Fairways in good shape. Tee boxes a little uneven. Several interesting holes and felt like I got to hit every club in my bag during the round. The lady running the place was also friendly and welcoming.

I had never ben out there before so can't compare it to the past, but I will definitely go back. It's not a fancy course, but a fun one to play.
smstork1007
AG
They are 100% private. A member can make a tee time for a non member to JOIN them in their foursome. Heck, you can't even get through the entrance to Walden without being on a list of a home owner/member.
Boodlum
AG
There is no entrance at Walden.
jonj101
Alta said:

Picking up the phone and calling them. You can make tee times a week out as a non-member. They advertise it on their website.

I know they say their private but that isn't really private in my opinion.

This has been my experience with Walden at Lake Conroe as well. I've never played with a member, and mostly played there by myself. A lot of folks on my side don't like making the hour or so drive to get there, but I really like the layout.

Unless they've recently changed it, its not a completely "private" course.

Alta
AG
At Walden on Lake Conroe? I called and played it as a non-member with a couple of friends in the past month. Simply called the pro shop and asked. I'm not a member. I also just called their pro shop and confirmed this again.

Here is the link from Walden's webpage (I know it says Northgate but that is because I think they have the same owner):

https://northgatecountryclub.com/non-memberguestfees

The sentence non-member guest tee times can be made 1 week in advance wouldn't be needed if it had to be made through a member.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.