San Antonio Golf

5,400 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Tony Franklins Other Shoe
cjsag94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will be at Hyatt Hill County in mid June for a business function and we just found out they are booked with a tournament on the Friday we are able to play golf. The person in charge of putting this together just notified us and said he now has us booked at Cedar Creek about 15 minutes away.

Based on the greens fee (low) and the comments I've read on here, it seems like this is a significant step down from the Hyatt resort course we were expecting. More importantly, I've read lots of comments about slow play.

Any of you familiar with and have any insight to offer? Any other options to suggest?
cjsag94
AG
Other than Lajitas, of course!
RogerFurlong
Cedar Creek is a fun course layout wise but it is definitely a down grade from Hyatt. You should go play La Cantera. It's about 5 minutes away from Cedar Creek.
jja79
AG
Lajitas is always the play when in San Antonio.
GuitarAg08
AG
Haven't played cedar creek since March when it took 4 hrs and 5 minutes to finish the front 9.

Also, they may look better now, but the greens were in awful shape the last time I played.

It is a fun/challenging track, but I just got tired of dealing with their crap. It's probably the most poorly managed course on the Alamo City trail. Shame because it's 5 miles from my house.

I'd recommend La Cantera, or even Alsatian in Castroville wouldn't be a bad drive at all from the Hyatt. Maybe 20 minutes or so if I had to guess. Fun little course.
XpressAg09
AG
I've heard good things about the Quarry. Seems like a cool layout. Holes do look awfully close together, but seems to have the Scottish feel to it considering the rough areas are indeed rough and they've packed some terrain into the fairways.

https://quarrygolf.com/

22 minutes from the Hyatt.
muleshoe
AG
Good options not in any order but the drive to some of these from the Hyatt might not be easy with construction everywhere,

Quarry - back nine is in the mine of the quarry and can get hot as hell in the summer. Fun course though.
Silverhorn - hidden course in town not far from the airport
Canyon Springs - north of town in Stone Oak. Nice course too….
La Cantera Resort - nicer than the others and more $.

Hope this helps….
boy09
AG
The Quarry is a cool course, but you may die of heat stroke on the back 9 in June
STL_aTm
AG
After my last 5:45 round on Thursday morning at cedar I have officially removed it from my play list. Course conditions sucked, staff sucked and overall experience was miserable. I would go literally anywhere else. That's a bummer to say bc I pretty much started my golf journey there the first few years.
kerrag06
AG
As someone who has an entire groups of friends now Addicted to golf here in SA (every morning someone is texting to play… every single one)!
DO NOT PLAY Cedar Creek. We don't even consider playing a city course now due to the pace of play and lack of monitoring- but, definitely WAY cheaper.
Our normal course (by location and membership) is Canyon Springs. Great course but far as heck from Hyatt. Silverhorn (95 weekends) and Quarry (130 weekends) are also pretty good but again- a drive from Hyatt. They swap the 9s at Quarry during the summer to have the HOT back 9 played first- buts it's Texas soooo. La Cantera resort has had greens issues supposedly and is around 200 (gone up since the Palmer course closed) on weekends. If you're pressed for time your two options are really only The Alsatian (public course the locals are proud of) in Castroville and Golf Club Of Texas. GCT is too far for us to play regularly but a fun little course, pretty wide open. Also has a full bar inside the clubhouse. Briggs Ranch is also right there if have someone in your group who has connections to get on as it's private. They used to say Golf Club of Texas was Aggie owned but not sure that's correct or not.
Our Local Public Course Top 5
1.Canyon Springs
2. Quarry- used to play a ton
3. La Cantera Resort- we don't play anymore unless a GolfNow hot deal. Just not worth it quality-price
4. Silverhorn- sometime slow rounds but greens in great shape. Probably the tightest course around, but super short
5. Farther drives (Bandit, Golf Club of Texas, Landa Park, Tapatio)
TXAg361
AG
I've played cedar creek a bunch this spring and it has been a little disappointing. Greens aren't in the best shape and rounds have taken forever. Played La Cantera last week and the greens were in horrendous shape. Some of them were 90-95% dead. I haven't played silverhorn this spring but have always enjoyed it. Can be on the slow side but it is one of the more fun courses I've played in San Antonio. I've always enjoyed Brackenridge. I know they have just finished redoing their bunkers but I don't think the greens are in great shape. Olmos was just renovated this past summer/fall too but the tee times have been harder to get.
cjsag94
AG
You guys are not walking poster children for the San Antonio Golf chamber of commerce!
TXAg361
AG
The Alamo City Golf Trail does a decent job, but in the end, subpar munis are subpar munis. Better than a lot of places, but if you're coming from out of town looking to play a nice course they aren't the best.
AirplaneAg09
AG
Not sure how far of a drive it is, probably less than an hour, but what about Valaar Creek in Blanco? Not sure about it's current condition but I've enjoyed it every time I played.
_lefraud_
AG
Little less than an hour, good recommendation
940Ag
AG
Any reviews on Alsatian GC outside San Antonio?
DGrimesAg92
940Ag said:

Any reviews on Alsatian GC outside San Antonio?
That's in Castroville and it's a good one. They have a FANTASTIC $$ game on Wednesday or Thursday. About 75 show up to play. Definitely worth the trip!!
DGrimesAg92
jja79 said:

Lajitas is always the play when in San Antonio.
If you've got 6.5 hours "one way" to spare...yeah!!
DGrimesAg92
Olmos Basin is complete and is good shape.

Brackenridge is a no, terrible condition.

The Quarry is good.

Canyon Springs is good.

Vaaler Creek is great - definitely worth the drive. (Blanco)

Bandit is good. (New Braunfels)

Landa Park is meh. (New Braunfels)

Buckhorn is good. (Comfort)

La Cantera is good, but resorty.

Tapatio Springs is meh.

Golf Club of Texas is not bad.

Cedar Creek is meh.

Sonterra is horrible, but private.

TPC Oaks or Canyons is superb and very affordable.

Fair Oaks, Briggs Ranch, Comanche Trace (Kerrville), River Hills (Kerrville), Oak Hills, River Crossing, The Dominion, Cordillera Ranch, SA Country Club are all great courses, but private.

EliteElectric
The Quarry, La Cantera, both TPC courses and the Bandit are all worth a stop
Obi Wan Ginobili
BLSD said:

Olmos Basin is complete and is good shape.

Brackenridge is a no, terrible condition.

The Quarry is good.

Canyon Springs is good.

Vaaler Creek is great - definitely worth the drive. (Blanco)

Bandit is good. (New Braunfels)

Landa Park is meh. (New Braunfels)

Buckhorn is good. (Comfort)

La Cantera is good, but resorty.

Tapatio Springs is meh.

Golf Club of Texas is not bad.

Cedar Creek is meh.

Sonterra is horrible, but private.

TPC Oaks or Canyons is superb and very affordable.

Fair Oaks, Briggs Ranch, Comanche Trace (Kerrville), River Hills (Kerrville), Oak Hills, River Crossing, The Dominion, Cordillera Ranch, SA Country Club are all great courses, but private.

Everything about this I agree with except for Landa Park. Fun, short course and you wouldn't believe how good of condition they keep that little course
DargelSkout
AG
I'm going to play somewhere in SA on Friday. Anyone want to join?
LCE
AG
Had free round of golf set up for late Tuesdaythe one day of rain and lightning in 4-5 months

Y'all can thank me for the rain
The Milkman
AG
What're the options for getting in at TPC without staying at the resort? I'll be coming into town end of September and looking ahead. We're staying at La Cantera but I've played that course many many times and thinking about trying something new.
MarylandAG
My daughter played Lady Bird Johnson course in Fredericksburg in mid-May and only played the front 9 but the course was in fantastic shape, lots of elevation changes, I thought it was a beautiful course for a muni. Per google, 1 hr and 12 min from Hyatt Resort in San Antonio to the course. If that drive is within reason I would give it a shot. I told myself I would make the drive from the Houston area again just to play it, also I am going to guess pace of play would not be an issue there. Plus you could go eat somewhere cool in Fredericksburg after your round or go to one of many wineries in the area. I
LCE
AG
I think it's difficult unless you know a member.
jja79
AG
I have a function at Canyon Springs next month. Is it any good?
inozips
AG
jja - Canyon Springs was fine when lapping it a couple weeks ago.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
inozips said:

jja - Canyon Springs was fine when lapping it a couple weeks ago.
Yeah, no complaints as of a couple of weeks ago.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
SLF11
AG
I'll zag. Played Canyon Springs last Sunday. Greens were incredibly slow, with lazy mowing - straight runs only, no circular cuts around the green perimeters - and some par 3 tees obviously hadn't been moved in weeks.

They have obviously been watering, but I thought it to be a poor experience due to the above. Shame because it's a pretty cool layout.
E
AG
We were planning on staying at La Cantera the weekend of 8/6 for my bday and I was gonna play the resort course, but I had a wild hair to check the aeration schedule and they are supposed to do it on 8/4...

Gonna need another place to play at
SW AG80
AG
From La Cantera I would drive out to Comfort and play The Buckhorn. Fun layout.
Sorry to hear about the condition at Canyon Springs.
San Antonio golf was really hurt when Pecan Valley and The Republic both closed. They were my favorites.
txaggie05
AG
You should have a pretty good spin. Played Canyon Springs on Wed and the greens were way better than the week before. Still a few iffy areas on some of them but all in all I've seen them worse recently. They've been watering and things were way more lush than i'm used to out there.

ETA: With only a few exceptions, when in doubt, err right and short on your approach shots.
jonj101
RiverAg 80 said:

From La Cantera I would drive out to Comfort and play The Buckhorn. Fun layout.
Sorry to hear about the condition at Canyon Springs.
San Antonio golf was really hurt when Pecan Valley and The Republic both closed. They were my favorites.

When did the Republic close? One of the first courses I ever played and was planning to go back and play it.
weakeagle21
cjsag94 said:

Other than Lajitas, of course!

Lajitas is at least 6 hours from San Antonio.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.