Could two amateurs scramble to win the Masters?

26,336 Views | 492 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by CapCity12thMan
Rusty GCS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Two golfers. Each a +2 handicap. Enter them into the Master's. They get practice rounds and full prep.

Can they compete and win?
Thisguy1
I'd say they could definitely compete. A lot of it depends on the make up of the two playing. For example I know a lot of older golfers who are plus handicaps that don't have the carry yardage some of those holes require. They also can't really generate the amount of spin needed to get it close to some of those pins. They're obviously very good if they're a +2, but their game may not fit that course.

I'm going to say in general, yes, two +2s could win if given the practice to get the course knowledge needed.
Aggie369
AG
I'll say they could compete scoring wise on any given round but not with crowds and TV cameras
AggieDruggist89
AG
No way
aginlakeway
AG
IMO ... they wouldn't break 80 during the actual tournament, with the very long course, greens, crowds, cameras, etc. Some tour players don't break 80.

I shot 84 there the Monday after the Masters way back when. I played from the members front tees and the greens had not been cut since Sunday's final round. The course was 6200 yards tops. The greens were still a nightmare. And there was the overall intimidation of where you were playing.

I was a 3 or so handicap back then and was rarely above 80 anywhere.
The Lost
No way in hell, 2 amateurs that earned their way in maybe could compete for a bit on the right year as a few have put up good scores every few years.

Pressure would crush any of the ones who play tournament golf, good golfer at your cc would handle it even worse.
Seven Costanza
AG
Along the same lines, how many of you could beat 86-year old Gary Player? He still plays, and is apparently very good, but can only drive the ball 225 yards at this point.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I can kick his ass...
Thisguy1
I'll give y'all winning. That was a stretch. But y'all really don't think they would even compete? What are we calling competing? Making the cut?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Average tour player handicap is +5.4. I think two +2s would compete. The key is this is a pair that is unlikely to get into real trouble as a scramble. One guy is pretty much always going to leave them something to work with. And any time the 1st guy hits a good shot or putt, 2nd guy can fire at pins or be more aggressive with putts. The danger of the greens is also very muted when the 2nd guy gets a solid look every time
Famous Shoes
AG
Absolutely Not!
Unemployed
AG
Seven Costanza said:

Along the same lines, how many of you could beat 86-year old Gary Player? He still plays, and is apparently very good, but can only drive the ball 225 yards at this point.
225 is still farther than most folks.
Aggie369
AG
This
aginlakeway
AG
I misread the OP.

Could the two +2 player compete in a SCRAMBLE format? Maybe. But I'd bet against it. I'd put the over/under at 74 or so.

But again, most golfers have no idea about the distractions at a major golf event, how tough that course is when set up for the tournament, etc.
oldschool87
AG
Rusty GCS said:

Two golfers. Each a +2 handicap. Enter them into the Master's. They get practice rounds and full prep.

Can they compete and win?
NO!!!

Think about this...

You have played in scrambles, most scrambles push the tees way up. So you wind up hitting sand and Pitching wedges to the greens all day. You should 57, someone still has to make a reasonable shot. But that is with all your BS of "Hey this is not 1 of my 20 mulligans, goes in, hey birdie!!!!"

You have also played in hopefully a real scramble, or a shamble. Not free drive, no mulligans, no string, no hit it from here if you pay 20 bucks and no automatic 2 putt.

If you have and they played it from the blues, and it was a real golf course, you shot 64, thought you should have shot better..

That's on your course, or a course you know, from avg blue tee's. Now add 40 to 100 yards per hole and think about what your team would have shot?

Now realize the pro's shoot 64 to 68 every day on the longer course where your foursome, Probably shot 68.

When you force a player to make multiple 160 to 230 2nd shots on par 4's, Your not shooting 57. Somebody has to hit that 205 shot close...

I am an 2 handicap, I know better golfers than I. Why my competitive spirit says we can shoot par. It takes 1 hole, where we both miss our shot and were looking at double and that might be a scramble to do it.

These guys make it look so easy!

I think 2 guys at +2 can shoot par. They cannot be competitive.
Aggie369
AG
The cut this year was +4

They shoot even par they place T10
DannyDuberstein
AG
Two +2s aren't scrambling their ass off to avoid doubles. These two guys are closer to a Tour player than they are to your -2. And there's two of em
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Are they drinking like a charity scramble?
SLF11
AG
Two +2's are easily making the cut, and likely competing for the tournament. At +2 you have every shot a tour pro has, but not the consistency…. And now there are two of you - there's your consistency.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Strokes gained analysis of a tour player vs a 0 is basically 2.4 on driving, 1.5 on approach, and 1.5 in short game. Now start by taking that down to 1.5, .75, and .75 because these guys are better than scratch. And then let them erase mistakes and the 2nd guy gets to go to school on every putt all day long. They are not only going yo erase that small strokes gained gap in a hurry, they will flip it
bagger05
AG
Nakajima and Piot would have shot 72-69 playing best ball. If you have two people putting from the same spot you gotta figure they could've made a few more putts. Doesn't seem crazy that if they were in a scramble they could've gotten it to -7 or -8 which would've been right there in contention with a guy who was playing WAY better than the rest of the field.

So I think it depends. In 1997, no way. A year like this one, maybe not. In a year where no one is running away with it: I think it's possible.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Jeff Knox has been a +1 to +2 (I always heard +1) over the years and has tied or beaten his paired pro who made the cut many times. Now basically let him hit 2 shots every time and take the best one. He'd be right there.
The Lost
DannyDuberstein said:

Jeff Knox has been a +1 to +2 (I always heard +1) over the years and has tied or beaten his paired pro who made the cut many times. Now basically let him hit 2 shots every time and take the best one. He'd be right there.

He's also playing with last place and zero pressure.
Rusty GCS
AG
I think that pros at +5.4 is their tournament scores.

Pros are closer to +7.5 under the regular conditions those +2s are playing (shorter courses, slower greens, and no pressure of the PGA)

(or so said the podcast I stole this question from lol)
jja79
AG
If +2 played 10 rounds on PGA Tournament conditions would they still be +2?
AggieDruggist89
AG
jja79 said:

I think the better question is what would be the index of a PGA pro playing our condition, 6500 yards and few inside the leather give mes in non tournament condition.

Watch some videos of Pros playing our course... Didn't Bubba shoot like 60???
Thisguy1
AggieDruggist89 said:

jja79 said:

I think the better question is what would be the index of a PGA pro playing our condition, 6500 yards and few inside the leather give mes in non tournament condition.

And what would the +2s be if they were playing on courses in the nicest shape they'll be all year, putts rolling fast but true and people on every hole finding every ball?

A pro playing on the greens I played on today isn't putting like he does on tour.

Grow the greens out with poa everywhere making your putt look like a pinball machine, cleat marks galore and ball marks not repaired. Bunkers that haven't had sand added in years that are like concrete. Hard pan bare spots in the middle of the fairway and tee boxes that have the undulation of Augusta. I want to see that.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Thisguy1 said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

jja79 said:

And what would the +2s be if they were playing on courses in the nicest shape they'll be all year, putts rolling fast but true and people on every hole finding every ball?

A pro playing on the greens I played on today isn't putting like he does on tour.

Grow the greens out with poa everywhere making your putt look like a pinball machine, cleat marks galore and ball marks not repaired. Bunkers that haven't had sand added in years that are like concrete. Hard pan bare spots in the middle of the fairway and tee boxes that have the undulation of Augusta. I want to see that.

Jja79 already asked that question.
Thisguy1
And you didn't answer it
GDP
Top 25 is certainly possible for a +2 two man scramble team.
Big advantage in proximity to the hole (where scoring occurs) - don't care how many putts you have from 30+ feet -- you aren't making many of those with 1 or 2 putts.
Also big advantage in scrambling - up and down from bunkers or greenside is much easier with two shots and two putts. They would rarely make bogey and would probably make a few birdies - especially par 5s

Now Winning - that's a tough one.
Probably need more game and incredible putting than two plus 2s possess.

Interesting question - good discussion so far
Yesterday
AG
A legit pair of +2 handicaps would compete to win if they played well. You're talking about two very good players getting to read shots and having two goes at 5' birdie and par putts. I say absolutely can compete.
REMARCH11
AG
Nope.
No chance!
REMARCH11
AG
No, a +2 on normal courses, they would most likely shoot in the 80s on a PGA course.

Pros are +5 to +7 on those ratings. That would make them a +10 on a 6500 130 course.
Rusty GCS
AG
I will say if these +2s are 30 year olds that carry driver 280+ they have a better chance than +2s that are 50 year olds that are very accurate but only carry driver 255. It's just too hard to get into that 8' scoring range very often when hitting long irons and woods into greens.
watty
AG
+2s are really good golfers, but no, I don't think they'd contend. Personally I'm not convinced they'd make the cut. If they each played on their own, they're likely not breaking 80, so I'm not sure than pairing them up would be enough for them to shoot 74 each day. It's definitely possible, but I think my small bet would be on the side that says they miss the cut. I mean, Tony Finau was only under 74 one time in four rounds this year, Patrick Cantlay shot a 79 one day, Adam Scott shot an 80, etc.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.