Saudi Golf League

279,465 Views | 3963 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by AgLA06
jonj101
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I saw some of that as well.

Shame because this is actually a great Sunday with a good leader board. Rose is making a push and Rory is killing it. I don't think they should've paid one second of attention to LIV. Just focus on the great moment you're presenting.
DW91AG95
AG
Damn that was an awkward interview.
Forum Troll
AG
jonj101 said:

I saw some of that as well.

Shame because this is actually a great Sunday with a good leader board. Rose is making a push and Rory is killing it. I don't think they should've paid one second of attention to LIV. Just focus on the great moment you're presenting.

Right. Focus on what makes your tour good. He looked scared ****less instead.
jonj101
Rory is killing it today, just sank another bird. Great Sunday and we don't even have an RBC thread lol.

It'd be hilarious/petty if Schwartzel tweets congrats to whoever wins with a giant cardboard cut out check in the background.
Bunk Moreland
Rose bogeys 18 to shoot 60.

Im sure it's just coincidence the course is target practice on a Sunday encouraging wild scores on the first weekend of LIV getting underway.
98Ag99Grad
AG
DW91AG95 said:

Yeah it was. Strategy for PGAT going forward will be to paint players leaving as greedy and hating America since he made sure to invoke the 9-11 victims group who has written letters to players urging them to reconsider.
DW91AG95
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

DW91AG95 said:

Yeah it was. Strategy for PGAT going forward will be to paint players leaving as greedy and hating America since he made sure to invoke the 9-11 victims group who has written letters to players urging them to reconsider.

I understand him protecting his tour but he came off as a bitter little man.
Bunk Moreland
98Ag99Grad said:

DW91AG95 said:

The impact of the statement rings a little hollow, especially with the news that Biden is going to head over to SA next month to beg them for help on oil.
jja79
AG
The interesting part to me was that the draft and team component weren't legitimate.
jonj101
And now we get another interview from the RBC bigwig. This is what jja was referring to earlier in the thread.

Yes, we understand that you do all these things for charity. We don't tune in to hear that chest thumping.
DW91AG95
AG
Nice misread again Dottie.
jja79
AG
That's my number 1 pet peeve with golf telecasts.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Rory with the dig at Norman there in the post round interview. If this thing wasn't personal before it sure is now. Woo boy
vwbug
Trucker 96

jonj101
And if it wasn't obvious Nantz had to make sure emphasize it lololol
Trucker 96
We'll see how many billions the Saudi's have to pour into this. As I see more about what guy's turned down, $500-1 billion isn't going to do it.
Thisguy1
Bunk Moreland
Lines drawn. The faces of PGA were on display today. LIV will need more than the heels of the PGA +DJ to be legitimate. The rest of the year should be very interesting.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
jonj101 said:

And now we get another interview from the RBC bigwig. This is what jja was referring to earlier in the thread.

Yes, we understand that you do all these things for charity. We don't tune in to hear that chest thumping.
I think they should get some air time since they paid for it.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
t - cam
AG
Good week and response by the tour. They really should just ignore Liv as long as they can. Huge galleries and a great leaderboard.
jja79
AG
They say RBC about 75 times on the telecast.
GIF Reactor
AG
t - cam said:

Good week and response by the tour. They really should just ignore Liv as long as they can. Huge galleries and a great leaderboard.

I think the tour is doing pretty well addressing LIV. Lots of pushback, negative press, big stars confirming their allegiance, etc. Ignoring a problem usually doesn't make it go away.

Really couldn't have gone better for the tour. A dude who hasn't won in forever wins Liv, meanwhile their leader board is stacked.
GIF Reactor
AG
jja79 said:

Per hour.
jja79
AG
So let's skip the CEO and Nantz linking each other.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
jja79 said:

Ok?
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
mavsfan4ever
AG
Fore Left! said:

We'll see how many billions the Saudi's have to pour into this. As I see more about what guy's turned down, $500-1 billion isn't going to do it.

Agree but they are planning on spending way more than 1 billion. I still don't think it'll work for them though.

It's too hard to watch, or hell, even find scores of the tourney. No one gave a **** about the tourney this week, even the guys sounding the table for LIV in this thread. Which is clear by the fact that the LIV tourney thread had like 25 posts.

I admit it could grow if they get a bunch of big names. But I just don't get the people who are so pro LIV. It's almost like a political deal for them or something. As a fan, LIV is nothing but terrible for the game. At best, it'll water both tours down to where both are mediocre. For fans it's a net negative no matter what happens with LIV.

The opening week was basically as good as you could hope for the pga and as bad as you could imagine for LIV. Sure, it could get better. But the saudis are doing this for sports washing. They won't keep it up if no one gives a **** and there is no big tv deal bc if no one gives a **** then there can be no sports washing.

jonj101
mavsfan4ever said:

Fore Left! said:

Agree but they are planning on spending way more than 1 billion. I still don't think it'll work for them though.

It's too hard to watch, or hell, even find scores of the tourney. No one gave a **** about the tourney this week, even the guys sounding the table for LIV in this thread. Which is clear by the fact that the LIV tourney thread had like 25 posts.

I admit it could grow if they get a bunch of big names. But I just don't get the people who are so pro LIV. It's almost like a political deal for them or something. As a fan, LIV is nothing but terrible for the game. At best, it'll water both tours down to where both are mediocre. For fans it's a net negative no matter what happens with LIV.

The opening week was basically as good as you could hope for the pga and as bad as you could imagine for LIV. Sure, it could get better. But the saudis are doing this for sports washing. They won't keep it up if no one gives a **** and there is no big tv deal bc if no one gives a **** then there can be no sports washing.

RBC didn't even have a thread.
jonj101
Funky Winkerbean said:

jonj101 said:

I think they should get some air time since they paid for it.
Regardless of how much they paid, no one tunes in to a sporting event to watch some Chief Executive of who cares what blabber about how great their company is for the community and how excited they are to sponsor an event that they're currently interrupting with their chit chat.

Then when they finally show 4 golf shots they break to a commercial featuring said company. Finally the commentators insert the company name every chance they get.

Its stupid and it connects to why relatively few people watch golf on TV.
Trucker 96
While I'm sure Texags threads are a great measure of a show's success, actual numbers tell me LIV had 100k streamers on Thursday to check out the sideshow, 60k on Friday, and 80k on Saturday. There's no programming your way around underwhelming talent. I'm going to guess today pulled in 3-4 million
Trucker 96
And the more of a joke that the competition on this tour this looks like, the higher the price it is going to take to get better players to join. There actually is a time element. They need better players to join sooner vs later before it cements itself as the Sellout Retirement Plan Tour.
jonj101
Its been commonly said on this thread that they'll need bigger names to join LIV. LIV knows that as well, and the question becomes how long each side will hold out. That time element works both ways - if the Sauds can go on for a few years, it'll only be a matter of time before the top players see the Schwartzel's securing big pay days and decide that they won't sit on the sideline.

As far as TexAgs threads being an indicator, I wasn't advocating that. I was responding to a post that I thought was ridiculous.
Trucker 96
Schwartzel could win every event, and no one turning down $100-200 mill now is going to change their mind from watching Schwartzel $32 mill. This weekend provided a stark contrast and insight into why so many guys have been turning down the offer. Yes, it's a payday. But you are signing up to be a well paid sideshow. The names this tour needs are living super comfortably. It's a lot to give up when you aren't Phil and piss away your money
98Ag99Grad
AG
Has anything official been decided on world ranking points for liv events? That's just as important as getting better players.
jonj101
No one knows that for sure. One can assume that all they want but over time a perspective can change. If one of the LIV guys happens to win a major this year, that impacts the discussion significantly, concerning the best players only play on the PGAT.

If it wasn't a significant threat of it happening, Monahan and the PGAT wouldn't be whining about it. If they thought it would just stop with someone like Pat Perez, they wouldn't be blitzing it the way they are.

First Page Last Page
Page 33 of 114

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.