Chambers Bay Summer Solstice - 54 Holes in 1 Day

3,233 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by justcallmeharry
E
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone participated in this or any event like it?

I saw a posting about this last year and thought it would be a pretty cool and memorable event. Got a buddy to commit and we are signed up!

https://chambersbaysolstice22.golfgenius.com/pages/8028074215276029442

Any suggestions on how to prepare or in round tips? I'm not in the greatest shape lol
Aggie369
AG
Ive played 54 but haven't participated in an event...I know Bandon does something similar
aggiebonzo
AG
This looks fun and the course is on my bucket list. May have to try this one year!
E
AG
Let me know if you do, it'd be fun to pair up with other aggies
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Check in at 3:15 am . Whoa.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Sounds like a great time. I'm a little surprised that the record is 72 holes in one day. I've put a reminder on my calendar to think about it next year.
girlgolfer12
This looks awesome! For sure going to sign up.
AustinCountyAg
I'd love to do something like this, but I cant imagine keeping a 4 hr pace 54 holes in no matter how well the course is set up.

I do enjoy a good walking only course though. I'd be down if I could find a buddy to play with me.
DadAG10
AgOutsideAustin said:

Only 5:15 CST.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
DadAG10 said:

AgOutsideAustin said:

Only 5:15 CST.

I'd line up in the queue at 3:15 am for the Old Course though.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Bring extra socks to change between rounds. Some change shoes too
Aggie369
AG
Highly recommend extra shoes, extra socks, and a gallon baggy or two in case it rains to keep things dry (socks, phone, range finder)
E
AG
Aggie369 said:

Highly recommend extra shoes, extra socks, and a gallon baggy or two in case it rains to keep things dry (socks, phone, range finder)

Thanks for the advice, will definitely be bringing two sets of socks and shoes.

I'm thinking of getting a caddy for the first or last round, to make the walk a little easier
DannyDuberstein
AG
Be mindful of your clothing too, particularly any friction spots on your inner thighs or your pits. It's not exactly runner bloody nipple territory, but that repetition if friction for 20-25 miles can start issues you would not expect. So gonna want to be mindful of going soft and minimizing seams to the extent you can
WestTexAG
AG
I tried 54 at Black Jacks crossing in Lajitas on the summer solstice 3 years ago. It rained for 30 minutes about 20 holes in. We called calfrope at 27 due to overbearing humidity after the rain and ambient air temp of 100+. 1/10 do not recommend! Pretty sure a more accommodating climate would be fun.
BigHitterDaLama
I play chambers quite a bit. Its a tough walk if you arent is walking shape.
Old School Brother
DannyDuberstein said:

Be mindful of your clothing too, particularly any friction spots on your inner thighs or your pits. It's not exactly runner bloody nipple territory, but that repetition if friction for 20-25 miles can start issues you would not expect. So gonna want to be mindful of going soft and minimizing seams to the extent you can
Something like Body Glide or Ruby's Lube will be your friend, for sure. Eliminates friction.
Old School Brother
Aggie369 said:

I've read about guys doing the Bandon one. A lot of them don't even wear golf shoes, they wear cushioned running shoes to protect their feet.
E
AG
Old School Brother said:

Aggie369 said:

I've read about guys doing the Bandon one. A lot of them don't even wear golf shoes, they wear cushioned running shoes to protect their feet.
This is what i'm thinking. I'm not going to Chambers Bay to shoot my lowest scores ever, i'm going for the challenge and having fun so more comfortable running shoes will be best. Or may even True Liks shoes? Those seem like they are similar to running shoes.
DOCAG79
AG
Chambers Bay is the hardest golf course I have ever played! We played it 6 weeks before the US Open with is raining and winds blowing 25-30! My boss, who was/is a 3 struggled to break 90! I was just happy to finish and buy a hat!
AustinCountyAg
I've got multiple pairs of Truelinks and cant vouch that they are great walking shoes. Not sure what them weather will be for you but if its going to be dry the Knits are fantastic. Breathable, good grip, some dew protection, and comfortable. But honestly cant go wrong with any pair honestly. Much more comfortable than a full leather footjoy type of shoe.
DannyDuberstein
AG
One thing to consider about True links is that most of their shoes are minimal/no drop from heel to toe. Can definitely have a different feel to walking and probably not something I'd go to for an event like this unless you are used to wearing them. Now some love them, but that isn't everyone's cup of tea
Quinn
AG
That looks awesome. Definitely something that I'd love to do someday!
AustinCountyAg
I agree with that. It takes a little getting used to, but once you do they are great.
AustinCountyAg
look at the new Ripstops by True. They look to be a great walking shoe for the PNW type of weather.
E
AG
Welp, its almost time! Gonna be a miracle for me to actuatlly finish 54 on Sunday. Haven't been able to train as much as needed and have been sick as hell all week. Came down with what i'm calling fake covid as had 103 temp sunday, doc thought it was covid on Monday but have tesed negative multiple times since then. Most symptoms have gone away but now have developed pink eye/eye infection (yay!)... but the show will go on!!

If anyone would like to donate to our pledge page and help raise money for the First Tee, any donation will be much appreciated! Will definitely help me push through on Sunday to complete 54.

https://charity.pledgeit.org/f/cJn7jPvrVa
girlgolfer12
I'll see you out there!
CapCityAg89
AG
The first time I played Chambers, I got paired with a kid who had an annual membership. This was twilight (I think we teed about 5:30) and was his fourth round of the day. Finished at 9;30 and it was pretty dark.

Have fun. I've done 54 but it was in a cart. Chambers is nearly a 7 mile walk.
girlgolfer12
The Chambers Bay Solstice is in the books. Check in was at 3:15am. We teed off at 4:40 and after 48 holes, seven birdies, 30k+ steps and 11 hours and 15 minutes of non-stop golf I called it quits. 81 on the 1st round and 85 on the 2nd. The course is a beast to walk and it's on another level once the wind started. Had a blast and met E.
CapCityAg89
AG
girlgolfer12 said:

The Chambers Bay Solstice is in the books. Check in was at 3:15am. We teed off at 4:40 and after 48 holes, seven birdies, 30k+ steps and 11 hours and 15 minutes of non-stop golf I called it quits. 81 on the 1st round and 85 on the 2nd. The course is a beast to walk and it's on another level once the wind started. Had a blast and met E.

Wait? Only two rounds in 11:15. Yikes.
E
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

girlgolfer12 said:

Thats for 48 holes... which is right at standard pace of play

48 holes in 675 mins is 14.06 min/hole
Typical round for a full tee sheet is between 4hr (13.33 min/hole) and 4.5hr (15 min/hole)

Pretty impressive pace saying its all walking and there was a break at the turn (9 & 18) with all our extra gear, food & beverage stations. So most people took a breather to reload.
E
AG
Very memorable event! One that i'm glad I experienced and will never do again lol. Course was in good shape (way better then 15 US Open) and the scenery was awesome. The organization did a great job of having enough food, water, and a PT there to help keep us going. Temp in morning was perfect then got up to 90 in afternoon...

Somehow I found enough adrenaline and willpower to complete 54 at 5:45. Given I was sick all week before I was pessimistic I would be able to finish, but powered through it. The rest of my group was in much better shape and completed 72. Nice meeting girlgolfer beforehand too! Glad to see some other Ags out there to support the cause.

Some of my more favorite pics... definitely took more in the first round as I was too tired to think about pics in the later rounds.

We started on hole 2, this is at 4:45am. The fairway to green faces the lone fir which is at 15.

Fairway of 4 looking into the course

5 teebox, picture doesn't do the elevation change justice

9 tee looking out at the rest of the course, severe downhill green (see bottom right)

15 in the last round

16 tee along the water and by tracks

18 tee box, very intimidating hole from the box

Sunset
CapCityAg89
AG
E said:

CapCityAg89 said:

girlgolfer12 said:

Thats for 48 holes... which is right at standard pace of play

48 holes in 675 mins is 14.06 min/hole
Typical round for a full tee sheet is between 4hr (13.33 min/hole) and 4.5hr (15 min/hole)

Pretty impressive pace saying its all walking and there was a break at the turn (9 & 18) with all our extra gear, food & beverage stations. So most people took a breather to reload.

Ah. Math unnecessary - I saw the two scores and just read past "after 48 holes". My bad.

A thought inspired by your next post as I lived just a bit further north up puget sound during that Open (NE Tacoma) - that year was an awful drought. I'd played CB the June before and wondered how they'd make it hard enough for the pros. Everything so soft I figured they'd destroy that course. June is typically still a bit rainy but the year of the open I think it quit raining in April and I do not believe they watered until right before the tourney. Any normal year and it's as green as you saw it but I think winning score is like 12-14 below.
agsalaska
AG
Really really cool. I played there the year before the open. Really cool golf course.

On a side note, I played the solstice in Anchorage. I think we played 36 or maybe just 18. But I know I thought it was really strange walking off 18 at midnight and seeing people making the turn.
justcallmeharry
S
Managed 45 holes in a day twice when I used to play. One of those occasions we did an aggregate 45 holes playing at two different golf courses 30 minutes apart from each other.

This old is missing those times way back when...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.