Who has Texags best Golf Handicap?

7,442 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by M&WAgs
07fta07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't have kids, so that makes things pretty easy. If I'm in town and the course is open, I play every Saturday and Sunday. Add in 9 holes or 18 holes a couple times a week when we have daylight past 6:00 and you can get there pretty quick.

I spent a lot of time at the range in the evenings versus playing 9's or 18's this past year which is why I only had just over 100 rounds logged.
KBAGOLFER
If you count 9 hole rounds I played close to 175 rounds. The problem is I didn't hit a ball before about 150 of those rounds and it cost my handicap dearly. I'm talking +8

No kids, married to an amazing wife, work gets of at 3:10, so golf by 3:30, play till dark or just go hit, chip, or putt for an hour home by 4:45/5. Only play weekdays, unless our church 3/4 play Sunday after church
CapCity12thMan
AG

Quote:

The problem is I didn't hit a ball before about 150 of those rounds and it cost my handicap dearly.

you realize playing this much you don't need to hit balls prior to a round.
KBAGOLFER
CapCity12thMan said:

Quote:

The problem is I didn't hit a ball before about 150 of those rounds and it cost my handicap dearly.

For me, it does, job super stressful, and riding up on most rounds without my golf shoes on, rangefinder ready, just really flustered and trying like heck to get in front of the 4 o'clock groups
AggieDruggist89
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

Quote:

Are you 50 yet?

Our joints need lubes man...
CapCity12thMan
AG
To loosen up I agree. My comment was more reflecting how much impact it has on your handicap to which you alluded was the primary reason for hdcp damage.

hitting balls Before the round shouldn't really be "practice"…it's just loosening up. If you're constantly playing 9 holes all the time I doubt you get better…you might get more consistent but not necessarily better.

This is obviously an opinion based on little info but you gotta dedicate to some range time to improve
CapCity12thMan
AG
I'm 50 in Oct and yeah…played nine on sunday and was sore the next day. It's awful.
Rubble
AG
I played 20 rounds in 2020 during Covid. I might normally get 10 rounds in if I'm lucky. I love golf, but my family is way more important than golf. I never practice, ever, and I'll shoot low to mid 80's almost every time out.
khaos288
AG
Rubble said:

I played 20 rounds in 2020 during Covid. I might normally get 10 rounds in if I'm lucky. I love golf, but my family is way more important than golf. I never practice, ever, and I'll shoot low to mid 80's almost every time out.
I think I remember you have like 12390488 kids, so you can't play 9 in the summer after putting them to bed.
Rubble
AG
Only 5 man. Come on.

I'll be back in Texas in April. I'll hit you up and maybe we can get a round in!
khaos288
AG
Rubble said:

Only 5 man. Come on.

I'll be back in Texas in April. I'll hit you up and maybe we can get a round in!

Man….I got 2 under 2.5. I can't imagine doubling that and then some. You're a true champion. And sounds good to me. It's been too long!
Rubble
AG
khaos288 said:

Rubble said:

Only 5 man. Come on.

Man….I got 2 under 2.5. I can't imagine doubling that and then some. You're a true champion. And sounds good to me. It's been too long!

My oldest graduates from HS in May. Youngest 2 will be in Kindergarten in the fall….RAISE!
WalkEmOff
AG
7.3 but the competitive aspect of the game continues to bring me back
evestor1
Rubble said:

My oldest graduates from HS in May. Youngest 2 will be in Kindergarten in the fall….RAISE!
My handicap just went from 7-8ish to 12 just hearing a 16 year gap in children!
DadAG10
evestor1 said:

Rubble said:

Math is hard.
Rubble
AG
evestor1 said:

Rubble said:

18-5 is not 16….

But, it is two marriages, so there's that.

Oldest two are 18 and 15. My wife and I have 3, 9 and almost 5 year old twins.

My HCI went down from 2020-2021, so there's also that too
evestor1
The age gap killed my counting skills

Best of luck to your handicap. sounds like you'll be going in the right direction more and more every day

DOCAG79
AG
11.4. Got it as low as 6 but old age and old age injuries have taken it's toll!
FirefightAg
AG
Not me 7-8, but it's up a few.

I played in HS and started really playing about 7th 8th grade. I worked at freewheel in HS and JC so I spent 6-7 days a week playing golf, either HS practice or before or after work.

I am better now than I was then, I knew 0 about how to play the game or score well... I'm still only about a 4 out of 10 on how to statically play golf. My short gane is garbage. If I ever learn that watch out

AgLA06
AG
khaos288 said:

Buck Compton said:

07fta07 said:

Southside AG said:

Its amazing how good you low handicappers are. Seems like most of you rarely play. Not to derail but did you play golf at a young age and never forget how to swing?

I started playing occasionally in college and my lowest round ever is an 84 on a par 71 course. When I see a handicap index under 5 I'm guessing there is some natural abilities going on.

For me there's natural ability, but it's more a lot of practice and a lot of playing (105 rounds on GHIN last year, 144 in 2020). I'm at the range a least a couple days per week, but what really lowered my scores was learning to play golf and not trying to play golf shot.

It's not about hitting perfect balls, it's about working your way around the course and getting the ball in the hole in the fewest strokes. When I finally figured that part out in the last couple years, I was able to get down from the 2 to 4 range to where I'm consistently in the +1 to 1 range. And I was in the upper 80's 10 years ago. It took time and lots of work.
Are you retired? Or work in the golf industry?

Not sure how anyone could log that many rounds unless they hated their wife and kids or had no job.
Counting 9 hole rounds, I've gotten out 1000 times in the last 4 years.

$15k in green fees a year.
khaos288
AG
AgLA06 said:

khaos288 said:

Buck Compton said:

07fta07 said:

Southside AG said:

Its amazing how good you low handicappers are. Seems like most of you rarely play. Not to derail but did you play golf at a young age and never forget how to swing?

I started playing occasionally in college and my lowest round ever is an 84 on a par 71 course. When I see a handicap index under 5 I'm guessing there is some natural abilities going on.

For me there's natural ability, but it's more a lot of practice and a lot of playing (105 rounds on GHIN last year, 144 in 2020). I'm at the range a least a couple days per week, but what really lowered my scores was learning to play golf and not trying to play golf shot.

It's not about hitting perfect balls, it's about working your way around the course and getting the ball in the hole in the fewest strokes. When I finally figured that part out in the last couple years, I was able to get down from the 2 to 4 range to where I'm consistently in the +1 to 1 range. And I was in the upper 80's 10 years ago. It took time and lots of work.
Are you retired? Or work in the golf industry?

Not sure how anyone could log that many rounds unless they hated their wife and kids or had no job.
Counting 9 hole rounds, I've gotten out 1000 times in the last 4 years.

$15k in green fees a year.

60$/month membership x 48 = 2880$
Assumed split
300 rounds at 20$ = 6,000$
300 rounds at 12$ = 3,600$
300 rounds at 6$ = 1,800$
100 rounds at other courses at 50$ = 5,000$

Total 19,280$/4 = 4,820 a year.

I definitely moved to the neighborhood I'm in for the 1 minute drive to the club house, and cheap afternoon golf membership. I'm a frugal sob haha
AgLA06
AG
Yah, that's definitely the way to go of it only cost that. I think figured $50 a round like us normal smucks would pay for a cheap course.
khaos288
AG
Westridge in McKinney is a decent course, but it's A++++ for the money. It's always been slow with the 6 par 5 and 6 par 3, and it's even slower post Covid. All worth it at that price though. They even give ya a beer with each round haha.
AgfromHOU
AG
I love WestRidge. Played there for my birthday during the summer.
khaos288
AG
AgfromHOU said:

I love WestRidge. Played there for my birthday during the summer.
Nice, yeah it's a great learning course. It's truly a joke from the forward tees, and truly a beast from the tips.
zgolfz85
AG
Got down to 10 and change, but up to near 13 again after some injuries and time off
KBAGOLFER
Somebody in the know get ahold of
Swope
Stephen
Dalton

They need to post their handicaps
CCred92
AG
Typically around 7 but playing to a 9 right now. Can't get up and down around the greens.
playeroftheyear69
AG
My index has hovered between 2.9 and 4.1 for the past 3 years. Just looked at my GHIN and I have played 69 recordable rounds in the past 12 months
E
AG
Nice...
M&WAgs
AG
Peaked in September. Definitely not playing like this now but have only had a few rounds since September so still have the lower summer ones in the calculation.

Played competitive junior golf from 6 through HS. Played a couple rounds a year after college, then picked it back up in 2020 when you couldn't do much else.
Last 5 rounds average = 77.6
Had 10 round stretch in summer average at 72 with 5 rounds under par including a career best round of 5 under.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.