Pearland golf course

2,264 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DGrimesAg92
cmk10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.pearlandgolfclub.com/

Crazy deal on a membership there. 150 bucks for 2 years…
jonj101
Yeah, buyer beware on that.
Mr.Bond
AG
It's a shame because layout is fun.... conditions.....not so much
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Funky Winkerbean
AG
The greens are perfect right now
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
E
AG
Still requires cart fee and can't play before 11am on Fri, Sat, and Sun.

But still, if you live int he area and like the course its a good deal.
txcincinnatus
AG
Just trying to raise some cash before they file bankruptcy? Because that's what this deal kind of looks like..
SuperAg05
AG
They had a similar deal a few years ago. I think they use the cash influx to fund upgrades to the facility and hope that most folks will buy for the deal, but not really use the membership that often. Starter I talked to said the last time they did it, they added 2,200 new members. So, $660,000 near immediate cash influx last time. That pays for a lot.

I played there a few weeks ago. Greens and course were in good shape. Not in love with the layout (tight fairways with danger on both sides), but for $150/yr, it's a steal of a deal.
Mr.Bond
AG
SuperAg05 said:

They had a similar deal a few years ago. I think they use the cash influx to fund upgrades to the facility and hope that most folks will buy for the deal, but not really use the membership that often. Starter I talked to said the last time they did it, they added 2,200 new members. So, $660,000 near immediate cash influx last time. That pays for a lot.

I played there a few weeks ago. Greens and course were in good shape. Not in love with the layout (tight fairways with danger on both sides), but for $150/yr, it's a steal of a deal.

My Aggie math tells me 330,000 but regardless. Good chunk of change
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

jonj101
So they deal with a golf marketing company called MMC. Their plan is to sign up a ton of people and get an influx of cash, then they bank on most of those people only playing around 12-15 rounds a year. I think the estimate was that 20% of them won't even pick up their membership cards.

Of course, if die hards crowd the course too much, they may add in little inconveniences here and there to dissuade them. For example, the original sign up is supposed to run until 2023, and according to the original agreement walking is free. Well now they have been dropping hints that they are going to charge for walking, and technically walking was never part of the written agreement. I respect courses doing what they need to do to maintain quality and a good experience, but I despise bait and switch tactics.
SuperAg05
AG
Mr.Bond said:

SuperAg05 said:

$150 per year, but a 2 year minimum purchase. So $300 x 2,200 = $660K.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
jonj101 said:

So they deal with a golf marketing company called MMC. Their plan is to sign up a ton of people and get an influx of cash, then they bank on most of those people only playing around 12-15 rounds a year. I think the estimate was that 20% of them won't even pick up their membership cards.

Of course, if die hards crowd the course too much, they may add in little inconveniences here and there to dissuade them. For example, the original sign up is supposed to run until 2023, and according to the original agreement walking is free. Well now they have been dropping hints that they are going to charge for walking, and technically walking was never part of the written agreement. I respect courses doing what they need to do to maintain quality and a good experience, but I despise bait and switch tactics.

How in the world would they justify charging a "walking fee".
Mr.Bond
AG
SuperAg05 said:

Mr.Bond said:

SuperAg05 said:

$150 per year, but a 2 year minimum purchase. So $300 x 2,200 = $660K.

My fault. I thought 150 for 2 years not per

terradactylexpress
That course is impossible to walk anyways, neighborhood course close to 10miles on my Garmin compared to 6-8 waking memorial etc.

I bought when they did the last deal assuming it was a cash shot to stave off bankruptcy but the number to break even was like 8 rds over 3 years. For the first year-year and half it was ****ing slammed and super long rounds which wasn't what I was looking for. I probably make it down once a quarter now, conditions on the course have always been great but it's a weird layout
Funky Winkerbean
AG
txcincinnatus said:

Just trying to raise some cash before they file bankruptcy? Because that's what this deal kind of looks like..

No, it's just to generate cash during the winter.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
antman8504
AG
jonj101 said:

They have been clear that members who signed up for the original deal in 2020 that is good to the end of 2022, will not pay a walking fee until after that first deal is expired.

No bait and switch going on at all.
jonj101
antman8504 said:

jonj101 said:

They have been clear that members who signed up for the original deal in 2020 that is good to the end of 2022, will not pay a walking fee until after that first deal is expired.

No bait and switch going on at all.

Last time I played there in December, the young guy who was manning the counter made it a point to emphasize that walking was not part of the original agreement or documented formally in anyway - it was moreso a favor that they extended to people who signed up after the deal started. I called bs, but of course didn't have any of the previous emails on me to prove it. This came up when we were discussing the differences between the new membership and the current one.

If they haven't been saying that since then, fine. I'll gladly edit my statement. But that's what was said when I was there. And for some of us who have had the original membership from a few years back, we are aware of how poorly managed the place has been. In the pro shop Jackie is pretty cool, but I can't speak highly of any of the other staff.
antman8504
AG
Not doubting you. But when I renewed my membership, it clearly said in writing that current members will be able to walk for free until the end of 2022. Just wanted to make clear for anyone that is a current member, they are not changing your terms.

For members that signed up the first time, you can renew with the new deal and it applies for 2023 and 2024. And you will have to pay the $10 walking fee in 2023-2024.
Mr.Bond
AG
Walking fee..... buahahahahahaha. They gonna put a coin slot on water Coolers next?

Hou-Ag
AG
The only thing I hate about this course is the carts stop if you venture too far off the fairway. You have to put it in reverse for a bit in order to move forward. As mentioned before, course/greens in good shape right now and definitely challenging. You better be hitting the ball straight. Lot of risk/reward shots as well.
DGrimesAg92
antman8504 said:

Not doubting you. But when I renewed my membership, it clearly said in writing that current members will be able to walk for free until the end of 2022. Just wanted to make clear for anyone that is a current member, they are not changing your terms.

For members that signed up the first time, you can renew with the new deal and it applies for 2023 and 2024. And you will have to pay the $10 walking fee in 2023-2024.
Walking fee??

That's a crock of *****
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.