18 months of time & money paying off

2,073 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Rusty GCS
Rusty GCS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I crossed the line from hobby golfer to avid golfer when the pandemic hit the fan last March. I went from playing 2-3 times a year to 2-3 times a week.

I read somewhere that for golfers that track handicap the average is a 14. So my goal was to be a 14 so I could think that I at least don't suck.

Today I dropped from a 14 to a 12.9. And for the first time stood on 18 box with a chance for a 79 still. I made a bogey for an 81 (2 shots to get out a green side bunker).

Honestly, the biggest help was 5 lessons I took. Because for a year I tried to find a swing by digging it out the dirt but I stayed a 20 handicap. Oh, that and the MISIG lol

Rusty GCS
AG
Two rounds off that index chart to the left I shot a 122 at Old Waverly back in May.

I was ready to quit golf forever but had to play Mossy Oak the next day (where I shot a 101 that felt like a 79!)
dcrewint
Good job my friend! Keep at it!
Rusty GCS
AG
dcrewint said:

Good job my friend! Keep at it!

I just need a new goal now.

I guess either single digit or shot a round in the 70s
dcrewint
Shooting low is always fun but something less stressful is set goals on number of birdies. Make Back-2-back birdies. Overcome bad tee shots by making no worse than bogey. Stuff like that and before you know it mid 70s are more frequent.
AggieDruggist89
AG
If u set a handicap goal, you need to also figure out how you're going to get there.

I don't know your game but with MISIG, it's gotta be good.

All joking aside, I recommend you eliminate one side of the golf course. What's your ball flight? Draw or fade? If you fade, eliminate the left and of you draw, eliminate the right side of the course. And do it every swing.

Then dial in your PW or GW. Ball flight distance. Be it 110 or 120. And feel like you can hit the pin from that distance and play to that distance.

You will hit 10+ greens and now you're shooting in 70s.
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/v8jYXMc3/Xy66wFs.png[/img]
Rusty GCS
AG
My swing is 1 degree from the inside but I'm not consistent with my club face. Lately early in the round I have a draw with my longer clubs, then it's straight, then it fades. So nothing like you suggest. Except today when all my drives (with a 3W, no 1W in bag for another couple weeks) were straight or a fade.

and I've been working on my wedge game. It's gotten a lot better but a long way to go.

I average 32 putts a round so putting isn't a weakness. But it's 2.1 putts when I'm GIR and 1.7 when non GIR

I've also started grabbing enough club to where if I pure it then it reaches back of green. Not needing a perfect shot to reach the green. That has my shots with less than pure contact still on the green.

The biggest help though is playing these newer courses with 60 acres of FWs and 10 acres of greens. My tight home course with tiny greens sure makes my handicap carry well to other courses lol
cjsag94
AG
Handicap calculations exclude the bad rounds. Maybe set a goal to become more consistent.. maybe never get over 95? My thought is playing to avoid blow ups makes you play more conservative. I am also a 14 handicap and I think players like us too often try to hit very low percentage shots, which results in score of triple bogey or more on some holes. Play to avoid those and I think scores will continue to improve.

Good job so far.
zephyr88
AG
That's why golf is such a great game... it's really you against yourself. Keep it up!
G Martin 87
AG
Rusty GCS said:

I crossed the line from hobby golfer to avid golfer when the pandemic hit the fan last March. I went from playing 2-3 times a year to 2-3 times a week.

I read somewhere that for golfers that track handicap the average is a 14. So my goal was to be a 14 so I could think that I at least don't suck.

Today I dropped from a 14 to a 12.9. And for the first time stood on 18 box with a chance for a 79 still. I made a bogey for an 81 (2 shots to get out a green side bunker).

Honestly, the biggest help was 5 lessons I took. Because for a year I tried to find a swing by digging it out the dirt but I stayed a 20 handicap. Oh, that and the MISIG lol

Congratulations! You dropped your handicap 6 strokes in only 10 rounds? Were all of these rounds on the same course?
Rusty GCS
AG
No, 5 courses. Jennings Country Club (my home course), Lake Charles Country Club, Gray Plantation, Contraband Bayou @ Lauberge, and Bayou Din in Crowley.

2 rounds were at Gray and that course and me just get along. Shot 81 both of those rounds from the whites (10.2 diff). Shot an 87 at Lake Charles Country Club but it was from the gold tips so it was a 12.1 differential. Then some other rounds in the mid 80s at my home course where I had been shooting 92ish the last 18 months.

Avoiding penalty strokes off the tee box is weak spot. Putting is my strong suit by far. That's from all those years hand watering putting greens. Helps you read the breaks when you imagine where the water would run lol
G Martin 87
AG
Rusty GCS said:

No, 5 courses. Jennings Country Club (my home course), Lake Charles Country Club, Gray Plantation, Contraband Bayou @ Lauberge, and Bayou Din in Crowley.

2 rounds were at Gray and that course and me just get along. Shot 81 both of those rounds from the whites (10.2 diff). Shot an 87 at Lake Charles Country Club but it was from the gold tips so it was a 12.1 differential. Then some other rounds in the mid 80s at my home course where I had been shooting 92ish the last 18 months.

Avoiding penalty strokes off the tee box is weak spot. Putting is my strong suit by far. That's from all those years hand watering putting greens. Helps you read the breaks when you imagine where the water would run lol
I'm in BR, so we should meet up for a round sometime, maybe in Lafayette.
Rusty GCS
AG
I bet we can make that happen
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.