Bastrop Golf

3,213 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by NColoradoAG
B$Weigem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any recs on courses in the area for a Friday before bama tee time? I've seen Colovista but wanting to get other input prior to booking.

Thanks
dcrewint
Wolfdancer
AustinCountyAg
dcrewint said:

Wolfdancer

Hands down the best course in the area, but damn I've played it before when they want to charge $130 and it's in very average condition. I'd check back closer to that weekend and see how current conditions are.

If the course is in below average shape (relative to a resort course charging $100+) I'd rather save $100 and play pine forest or colo. but that's just me…
dcrewint
Yeah check to see when they last punched the greens or check on their site to see if it's listed. Usually the conditions there are solid.
Yesterday
AG
Wolfdancer
Pine Forest
Colo Vista

All three have their perks and value.
cab559
AG
Wolfdancer is a great track but the greens were pretty brutal when I played it two weeks ago. Like putting on shag carpet.
Texmid
AG
I used to be a member at Pine Forest. We played there a couple weeks ago for the first time in a couple years. I will never play it again. The greens were beyond horrible. It got to the point to where we were giving automatic two-putt max because they were so bad.

The fairways at Colovista need water but the greens are in good shape.
AustinCountyAg
bumping this thread to give a little Bastrop golf update....

Played Pine Forest this past friday. course was in average condition per the usual. Greens rolled well. Not overly fast, however they did have the pins in some tough positions on the side of hills that made putting tough. Bunkers were pretty rough looking. Well worth the $30 they charged. Beer specials in the clubhouse as well.

Played Colo yesterday. Overall the tee boxes and fairways were trash. Greens were excellent though. They are FAST right now. I have never seen them as quick as they are currently. Probably lost 7 strokes on the greens yesterday.
Ag4life80
AG
What a shame. Colovista used to be the best public track in the Austin area. The homeowners simply can't afford to bring it back, I guess.
McGibblets
AG
I definitely feared the worst seeing this thread being bumped after yesterdays news
dcrewint
I'd say it's fairly common for greens to speed up this time of year due to dormant greens? It seems to be a common theme in courses I've played recently. Could be wrong.
The Milkman
AG
How're these courses looking these days? Got a group of guys that'll be in the area in august and we're looking for a Friday afternoon round. Don't think most will want to dish out the price for wolfdancer
Broncos
A lot can change in 9 months but played Colo the end of last summer and it was pretty bad.

It's kind of sad because the layout has a ton of potential but as a previous poster said two years ago, the fairways and tee boxes were still horrible. Greens were extremely fast when we went as well but that was expected.

I'd be interested to see if they've improved because I'd go back if so.
AustinCountyAg
It hasn't. Course is pretty bad. It's worth $25-30. Sad because Colo and pine forest are great layouts but course conditions aren't anywhere near where they used to be.
AggieMD95
AG
Thx for the info
DargelSkout
AG
Has anyone played Wolfdancer lately? I may be playing a round there in a couple weeks.
agsalaska
AG
I played there in late March and it was outstanding.

Beautiful with all of the wildflowers out.

But that was a while ago.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
giddings_ag_06
AG
DargelSkout said:

Has anyone played Wolfdancer lately? I may be playing a round there in a couple weeks.

I played a few weeks ago on a Monday with a group of 4. We didn't see another person on the course and were able to go off almost an hour early. Course condition was excellent. The new holes (10-13) were great, especially the par 5. I'd highly recommend it. A few of the new holes require some strategy (there's a par 4 that you need to hit an iron off the tee then hit wedge into the green… going for it over the trees can get you).

Colo has been bad for 4 years. They just can't get the fairways or tee boxes fixed. The greens aren't bad and the fastest greens you'll find. Last time I played there was a few months ago. Told myself I won't go back for at least 6 months because there's no way they can get anything fixed before that.

Pine Forest (Bastrop River Club now) hasn't been bad. I've played it 3 times in the last month. No traffic out there. Greens were ok. More grass to hit out of in the fairways than Colo. they are putting a lot of money into it ($1.5 mil) and have big goals over the next year. They e already cleared a ton of trees along the river and in a few other spots.

I golf quite a bit within an hour of Giddings and leaving out Wolfdancer (obvious #1) I'd go Brenham, Shadow Glen, College Station, Pine Forest, La Grange, Giddings, Colo.

Brenham is excellent right now and they are doing a ton of work out there, mainly irrigation.
NColoradoAG
Anyone played Wolfdancer since July? Trying to talk myself into a round with my buddy this Friday since I had to fly into Austin earlier than usual for a game weekend. I'll have full on swamp ass by the 1st green so want $160 to at least be worth it.
Hou-Ag
AG
Played Wolfdancer (now Lost Pines) this past Saturday. Was overall in good shape. Had 1-2 greens with a few rough patches, but didn't affect me with my game. As mentioned above, I also liked the new 10-13 holes they changed up last year. Was 90 degrees as well.

NColoradoAG
We had a good day at Lost Pines on Friday. Basically had the course to ourselves since we teed off at 1pm. It was pretty hot, especially for a coloradan, but we got around in just under 3 hours. Played pretty well with birds on 2, 16, and 18. Triple on 9 killed me. Overall it was in good shape, especially those newer holes.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.