HS golf courses/tournaments?

1,447 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Prexys Moon
Aggie95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is there a general rule of thumb on how long the course setup is for jv/varsity hs tournaments?
dcrewint
You can host however you want. Girls I see anywhere from 5300-6300. Boys I'd assume are 6000-7000 depending on talent or course.
Retired Principal
AG
My son played HS golf and I think 6000-6500 was about the right yardage.
CapCity12thMan
AG
might be helpful: https://www.stpgajuniorgolf.com/junior-tour

The Junior Tour program is designed to give skilled junior golfers the opportunity to compete independently in professionally run tournaments. This program is for juniors ages 11-18 and is the perfect program for juniors in middle to high school golf programs that are looking to improve their game in 18 or 36-hole events.

Boys 11-12
5300-5600 yards

Boys 13-14
5700-6100 yards

Boys 15-18
6100-6600 yards

Girls 11-12
4900-5300 yards

Girls 13-14
5300-5600 yards

Girls 15-18
5300-5600 yards
jj9000
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

might be helpful: https://www.stpgajuniorgolf.com/junior-tour

The Junior Tour program is designed to give skilled junior golfers the opportunity to compete independently in professionally run tournaments. This program is for juniors ages 11-18 and is the perfect program for juniors in middle to high school golf programs that are looking to improve their game in 18 or 36-hole events.

Boys 11-12
5300-5600 yards

Boys 13-14
5700-6100 yards

Boys 15-18
6100-6600 yards

Girls 11-12
4900-5300 yards

Girls 13-14
5300-5600 yards

Girls 15-18
5300-5600 yards

Agree with this 100%...and if you're in North Texas NTPGA Junior Tour is set up very similarly. I highly recommend NTPGA. Very well run Tournaments, with various Divisions within each Age Group (Prep/Medalist/All American) to suit different skill levels.

https://www.ntpgajuniorgolf.com/junior-tour
Dr.Pepper7
AG
High School Varsity golf plays most tournaments from the back tees. They may adjust the course and have a few split tee boxes, but 6700-7100 is typical
CapCity12thMan
AG
I would also add it needs to cater to the overall skill level. 1A JV is not equal to 6A JV nor is even 3A V equal to 6A V.
EKUAg
AG
dcrewint said:

You can host however you want. Girls I see anywhere from 5300-6300. Boys I'd assume are 6000-7000 depending on talent or course.

Can really only speak to girls HS tournaments my daughter played in.
Normal matches were off the front tees or some still call Ladies tees. Anywhere from 4800 to 5300 yds for 18. Invitational tournaments pushed back a tee to 5600 to around 6000 yrs. State played at a little over 6000 yrs.
JYDog90
AG
Dr.Pepper7 said:

High School Varsity golf plays most tournaments from the back tees. They may adjust the course and have a few split tee boxes, but 6700-7100 is typical
I'm surprised that they have varsity tournaments at 7100
Formerly Willy Wonka
Dr.Pepper7
AG
Willy Wonka said:

Dr.Pepper7 said:

I'm surprised that they have varsity tournaments at 7100
Majority were 6700 - 6900 but a few got up there past 7000. Only the two day tournaments.
Hamburger Dan
I coach a pretty solid 6A program. We travel a lot. Depends on the general difficulty of the course, but 6700 to o 6900 is used most often in the DFW tournaments. Hill country courses are generally shorter. I run our district tournament- I set it up at 6900 yards.
Aggie95
AG
Thank you for all the answers. Trying to get a sense of what I need to get my son prepared for.
Prexys Moon
AG
jackson-kyle said:

My son played HS golf and I think 6000-6500 was about the right yardage.
yup. Mine too. At least at the 4A level. Generally they played from the regular mens' tees. I think for most courses that's in the 6-6500 area. We are 4A in East Texas and at that level, you still have a lot of really bad golfers and players who really don't know what they are doing. if you went back any further it would be really slow, slower than it already is.

Even at the regional level, at least in our situation, it was regular men's tees. Again, you have better golfers at regionals, but some districts just don't have good players, even the ones they send to region.

We went to state once, at Horseshoe Bay, and again it was regular men's tees. Little longer since it's a tougher course.

I'm not familiar with the setups at the 5A/6A level, where most varsity level players are at least low 80s/high 70s. Maybe they go further back to the tips.

edit- just saw the above post from Hamburger Dan- I rest my case. DFW 5A/6A tournaments are the big boys. Good players who play golf year round.

Girls are regular women's tees. Easy.

And I agree with the NTPGA plug above. My son and daughter played those all Summer. 18 hole stroke play and you get to play a lot of really good courses. If your sons or daughters plays those in the junior high years, they will be ready for HS golf.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.