Ryder Cup

7,742 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by PJYoung
AG 86 BC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will be attending the Ryder Cup later this month. This will be my first trip to Whistling Straits and my first Ryder Cup. Any tips on what things to see or do are appreciated.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
No tips here but extremely jealous! Bucket list event for me.

No Laying Up just started their 4 part "Ryder Cup Roadtrip" and it's getting me fired up.

Aggie369
AG
I went to the PGA there when Day won....saw multiple people slip/fall on the dunes and slick grass.

Also parking was quite a ways away and took a while to walk....so get there early.
E
AG
Aggie369 said:

I went to the PGA there when Day won....saw multiple people slip/fall on the dunes and slick grass.
So youre suggesting to wear golf cleats to this tournament...
Aggie369
AG
Lol

Depends how confident you are not busting ur ass and sliding 20 feet down a dune after morning and day drinking
Deluxe
AG
I went in 2012 at Medinah. It's something I'm glad I did once but don't intend to do again.

Try to get there as early as possible and take in the scene around #1 tee. It's difficult to get there early enough to get a good view, but just being in/around the atmosphere is alot of fun.

Don't try to follow any groups around. They let in 40k people and all of them are trying to follow four groups on Friday/Saturday. There's way too many spectators per golfers on the course. My advice would be to go a few holes ahead and park yourself. Ideally, park yourself in front of a jumbotron so you can keep good tabs on the action. But then again, cell phone streams have come a long way since 2012. You might be able to just track it on your phone now.

Enjoy!
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Take your MISIG for autographs…..
Z100
AG
My experience at RC in 1999 was exactly as Deluxe described. A lot of people all packed into basically 4 holes of golf. Atmosphere was exciting. Great to go once.
Have fun!
DannyDuberstein
AG
Always looked like a fun party but lousy golf watching
ORAggieFan
DannyDuberstein said:

Always looked like a fun party but lousy golf watching
That's every golf tournament in person. That's why I go on Day 1 or 2 rather than the weekend to any tourney.
_lefraud_
AG
This.

Went in 2008 at Valhalla, and it was crazy, even without Tiger. My advice would be to find a stretch of holes where you can watch approach shots, tee shots into a par 3, or something like that. Maybe Aggie369 could suggest a spot on the course where you can easily watch 2 or 3 holes without moving around too much.
Aggie369
AG
Wish I could but whistling straits is a tough course to watch shots of almost any kind.

Just remember some bunkers are open for spectators to stand in and sit on top of.
AggieSig16
AG
Captain's picks are being announced live on Golf Channel at 9am cst.
WhoopN06
This team is going to struggle to make putts.
AustinCountyAg
No Kiz? WTF.
AustinCountyAg
WhoopN06 said:

This team is going to struggle to make putts.
I agree. Which is why Kiz should've been a pick.
ORAggieFan
Team makes sense and is what most on here predicted. Build the team for the course. Bombs away!
DannyDuberstein
AG
I like the picks. Bombers course. Kisner is just too much of a short-knocker
Matsui
AG
love the picks and love the new blood as well
FTAco07
AG
Agreed, I love Kiz and Na, but neither are even remotely a horse for the course. Biggest question for me is if Brooks is going to be able to play after the injury and WD, and if not who is going to replace him.
WhoopN06
These are the picks he had to make. However, this team I suspect is going to be very boom or bust. They'll either win big or lose close.

I do not see the types of players( Kiz, Na, Reed) that have a **** you attitude that will win close singles matches on Sunday.

Could be a lot like the Solheim cup this year ..
Bunk Moreland
I know he's recovering from his illness but I'd have liked to have seen Reed on the team.
JarAG2007
AG
I agree! Reed in match play is pretty good, and he is bringing no more drama than Brooks and Bryson dynamic. If he hadn't been sick he probably could have made it on points.

If Brooks has to WD because of his wrist I think Reed should be the next up. He is fun to watch at these team events and brings energy, which the US Team sometimes lacks. Just my opinion.
Bunk Moreland
JarAG2007 said:

I agree! Reed in match play is pretty good, and he is bringing no more drama than Brooks and Bryson dynamic. If he hadn't been sick he probably could have made it on points.

If Brooks has to WD because of his wrist I think Reed should be the next up. He is fun to watch at these team events and brings energy, which the US Team sometimes lacks. Just my opinion.

What, you're telling me Scottie and Harris don't move the emotional needle for you?
agsalaska
AG
I would have been tempted to take Reed anyway.
Dr.Pepper7
AG
JarAG2007 said:

I would expect Webb Simpson.

If Reed was good to go he would be on this team.
Rubble
AG
Dr.Pepper7 said:

JarAG2007 said:

I would expect Webb Simpson.

If Reed was good to go he would be on this team.

100% agree. Guarantee you that behind closed doors Reed told him not to pick him.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I love the Scheffler pick. Even though he's never won on tour I think he's perfect for this format and dude can make birdies in bunches. Even though Finau won recently, I'm not huge fan of picking him. Without looking at stats I can't remember him much on leaderboards this summer until his win. And his putting sucks but he's nice and can bomb it and actually played well in France so who knows. I'm glad they didn't go with Webb just because he has experience; time to roll the dice on some newbies.
JYDog90
AG
_lefraud_
AG
I too like the Scheffler pick. Finau is a good pick, dude plays well in big events more often than not. Finished 10th at the Masters, 8th at the PGA, and 15th at the Open this year.
Mr. Frodo
AG
Scottie is a putter and he makes birdies … i think its a good pick.

As for RC … get there early and get as close as you can to ist tee on first day. ELectric! Like nothing else. To see first group off.

Then go find a spot to post up and watch groups go through while keeping track of action. A good par 3 with views of a green or tee box nearby.

At some point go follow a group on the course but it will be crowded.

On sunday dont plan on it finishing on 18. Most matches prolly go 16-17.

Enjoy!
AG 86 BC
AG
Thanks for all of the comments. I think we will have a great time.
Mr.Bond
AG
https://brobible.com/sports/article/patrick-reed-twitter-ryder-cup-snub-reaction/
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Unemployed
AG
Mr.Bond said:

https://brobible.com/sports/article/patrick-reed-twitter-ryder-cup-snub-reaction/
His wife needs to stay off Twitter.
Bunk Moreland
So the NLU guys of course want to make this a big deal because their hard-on for hating Reed is 10x the level of irritant Reed actually is.

I went to his likes page and saw the tweets he or his wife were liking. I fail to see the big deal. He's simply acknowledging his fans who were upset to hear he wasn't on the team.

It even liked tweets that said "have to think it's health related. Get well soon"

I fail to see the outrage here. Burner account in the past was obviously a different situation.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.