Romo and JFF to play in Texas State Open

18,173 Views | 205 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by dc509
Mr.Bond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/31813330/tony-romo-johnny-manziel-accept-invites-texas-state-open-golf-tournament
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

DGAG92
AG
They'll be lucky to finish top 50%.
Class of 1992
CapCity12thMan
AG
O/U 82
WestTexAG
AG
I'll take the over
The Grinder (99)
AG
Off topic, but I'm impressed at the quality and quantity of golf around Tyler. Last year, mid-pandemic I was able to play back to back tournaments there. A mid-am qualifier at Cascades and mid-am match play at Willow brook.

BigLeftMiss08
AG
One of my best friends is a member at Willow Brook and that course is spectacular!
Oyster DuPree
AG
BogeySZN
Aggie369
AG
**** I hope he breaks 80....

How bout O/U 77

I don't see him under 150 after 2 days....he might get 1 good round.

I think Romo makes the cut this year for some reason
tandy miller
AG
Aggie369 said:

**** I hope he breaks 80....

How bout O/U 77

over.

I'd like to see JFF play well, but this is a real tourney not a chug bud fueled Scottsdale round with just Mike or whatever that rappers name is
FJB
powerbelly
AG
Can I bet on someone finishing DFL?
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Aggie369 said:

I think Romo makes the cut this year for some reason
Romo hit some pretty bad shots at the celebrity tournament this weekend. I mean some shots I'm use to seeing. He did hit some good ones too, but those skunks looked ugly.
CapCity12thMan
AG
JFF won't break 160 for two rounds. Wouldn't surprise me to see a WD out of him.

Romo can certainly make the cut, if not do a little better than that even - his game is proven to some degree.
WestTexAG
AG
I think Romo makes the cut. I guarantee you JFF won't break 150, as the quality of golfer it takes to score at these tournaments plays at least 2 full flights above him in bbq circuit 2 man tournaments.

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Maybe he was sandbagging for his member guest
Aggie369
AG
Ha
I was going off of him being a 0 HC like everyone had been saying....yeah he might not break 80 either day.

The non golfers on premium will have a melt down if he shoots 82 as their dreams of Johnny on the PGA Tour quickly evaporate
Ag_07
AG
Wait...Those are his recent rounds?

WTF? I thought he was contemplating a career as a golfer?

With those scores he might have a better chance at an NFL comeback.
leachfan
Based on recent scores, I think his dad has just as good chance or better.
cab559
AG
powerbelly said:

Can I bet on someone finishing DFL?

How much money could you make on smylie in a pga tourney? He'd probably be -110 but still good odds.
Mr.Bond
AG
The hateraid is strong here fellas
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

cab559
AG
It's well deserved. I bet he doesn't break 85 either day.

Playing golf sober will be completely different than throwing a few back with the boys and playing loose.
CapCity12thMan
AG
It's not hate directed at JFF, at least that is not my angle. My angle is the assumption that someone who can shoot in the 70s can just walk up to an event - a serious event, amateur or pro, and think they are gonna do well. Golfers only shoot their handicap 20% of the time. JFF hdcp is 6ish. The course they are gonna play will be tough so he has a 20% chance of shooting 82 and an 80% chance of
Higher
powerbelly
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

It's not hate directed at JFF, at least that is not my angle. My angle is the assumption that someone who can shoot in the 70s can just walk up to an event - a serious event, amateur or pro, and think they are gonna do well. Golfers only shoot their handicap 20% of the time. JFF hdcp is 6ish. The course they are gonna play will be tough so he has a 20% chance of shooting 82 and an 80% chance of
Higher

Yep.
Matsui
AG
Facts
FTAco07
AG
His index is actually 1.7
Mr.Bond
AG
FTAco07 said:

His index is actually 1.7
This. It was my understanding he was close to scratch according to multiple interviews hes done

Aggie369
AG
Hes a 1.7 and shot 87 and 85?

cab559
AG
I would bet a lot of these guys playing in this are plus handicaps.
powerbelly
AG
Aggie369 said:

Hes a 1.7 and shot 87 and 85?

Yes. Handicap measures potential. Those score most likely don't count.
Aggie369
AG
I understand how it works I just don't know any 1 HCs that shoot 87
Mr.Bond
AG
Maybe he was **** faced...... or sober

zgolfz85
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Maybe he was **** faced...... or sober

I'm thinking **** faced for sure. He reps and I think owns part of a beer chugging device company and he always has it on the course. I think his 70s rounds are likely more indicative of his usual play. A serious tourney is a diff ballgame though like everyone has said
CapCity12thMan
AG
yes it is 1.7...here is the total data set:

a one month streak in May 2021 of some decent scores and one really good one. The other scores from April and July are crap. 6-7 hdcp at best. Sorry, but upper 70s golf is sloppy and guys who can't get below that ON AVERAGE aren't playing in the TX State Open. Go look at the qualifying scores: https://www.ntpga.com/texas-state-open-qualifying-information Professionals and really good amateurs are shooting under par and not qualifying. This is the bar.

No 1.7 hdcp is rolling out to a course and shooting 87. Either the score was entered wrong, or he isn't a legit 1.7 hdcp. you decide.

CapCity12thMan
AG
Guys who DIDN'T qualify:

Cassity: +4 hdcp
Stanley: +6.3 hdcp
Uhlig: +4.7 hdcp

Rodriguez (former All-American at A&M): +1.7 hdcp
Koricanek: +3.7 hdcp
Hunsucker: +4.5 hdcp

jckrjr7
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

yes it is 1.7...here is the total data set:

a one month streak in May 2021 of some decent scores and one really good one. The other scores from April and July are crap. 6-7 hdcp at best. Sorry, but upper 70s golf is sloppy and guys who can't get below that ON AVERAGE aren't playing in the TX State Open. Go look at the qualifying scores: https://www.ntpga.com/texas-state-open-qualifying-information Professionals and really good amateurs are shooting under par and not qualifying. This is the bar.

No 1.7 hdcp is rolling out to a course and shooting 87. Either the score was entered wrong, or he isn't a legit 1.7 hdcp. you decide.

I think most 1.7 handicaps aren't funneling beers on the tee box during rounds. I agree though, anything below 80 would be great for him. Low-mid 80's is where I expect him.
jja79
AG
Don't tell Gabe. He's expecting to see him on the first page of the US Open Sunday leaderboard with a little practice.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.