Banning green reading books on tour

1,857 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ORAggieFan
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I like it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/06/16/pga-tour-green-reading-books-outlaw-next-season/amp/
cb1919
AG
About time!
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
If DeChambeau wants to keep them, then you know it's bad for the game.
mazag08
AG
The pro tour should be about experience and feel around the course.

Get rid of all supplemental agents that help determine an outcome. The player alone and his caddy should be forced to use their own judgement after thoughtful practice and preparation.
ORAggieFan
mazag08 said:

Get rid of all supplemental agents that help determine an outcome. The player alone and his caddy should be forced to use their own judgement after thoughtful practice and preparation.

So no yardage books or markers? Ready for 6 hour rounds?
Rubble
AG
They're timed. This will speed up play on the greens, not slow it down.

It's about time they have to play like the rest of us
I saw Rory's interview today. He talked about how greens books take away the skill of reading the putting surface. He said *some* players just rely on the book, instead of putting in the work.

I'm glad they are getting rid of greens books. Make them play that part of the game like we do.
Flash02
Yep. This is not the game. Learn to read greens
KatyAg01
AG
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

If DeChambeau wants to keep them, then you know it's bad for the game.
Agreed, but now he'll head back to the lab and emerge with PlumPoint(TM); a hybrid method that combines plum-bobbing and aimpoint. Happiest guy on tour will be JB Holmes when Bryson supplants him as the slowest putter on the circuit.
ORAggieFan
Rubble said:

They're timed. This will speed up play on the greens, not slow it down.

It's about time they have to play like the rest of us
I'm not against it, I was just commenting on the get rid of everything.
Rubble
AG
But they should have to get rid of all that bull***** Make them play like the rest of us. They're professionals and are good at golf. Stop letting them have "cheats" that help them. Make them play by using the sprinkler heads and no green books. Scores would change if they don't have all their books. We wouldn't see -24 winning tournaments anymore!!
ORAggieFan
We have way ore benefits than they do. GPS, range finders, etc.

Now, a caddy would take care of all that and they have that, but let's not pretend that have all this technology that makes it easier for them.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I wouldn't mind some grandstand backboards around some greens
DGAG92
AG
Flash02 said:

Yep. This is not the game. Learn to read greens

This is laughable. You think they can't read greens? I assure you, they can read greens. The Masters doesn't allow the books on the greens and they putt without them just fine. What does it matter if they use the books? How is it hurting anyone else? You STILL have to hit the shot. It's how they make their living. Hell, get rid of the caddies while your at it. Get rid of Trackman, becuase its not "real practice"? Do baseball teams need to put away their scouting books on hitters? How about banning film for the NFL? Dumb argument.
DGAG92
AG
Rubble said:

But they should have to get rid of all that bull***** Make them play like the rest of us. They're professionals and are good at golf. Stop letting them have "cheats" that help them. Make them play by using the sprinkler heads and no green books. Scores would change if they don't have all their books. We wouldn't see -24 winning tournaments anymore!!

Byron Nelson shot -29 in 1945. Stupid books!!

Mike Souchak shot 60-68-64-65 (-31) in the 1955 Texas Open.

but but but
DGAG92
AG
ORAggieFan said:

mazag08 said:

So no yardage books or markers? Ready for 6 hour rounds?

They want to ban "green" books, not yardage books. I think he thinks the books are colored green.
cb1919
AG
Bryson, who relies heavily on greens books, doesn't putt as well at the Masters, where they don't allow greens books.
Your complaining aside, greens books will be outlawed next season, Bryson.

Learn to fcng putt.
DGAG92
AG
cb1919 said:

Bryson, who relies heavily on greens books, doesn't putt as well at the Masters, where they don't allow greens books.

No one uses the green books more than Patrick Reed and he's #1 on tour in one putts and #4 in strokes gained.
DGAG92
AG
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

Your complaining aside, greens books will be outlawed next season, Bryson.

Learn to fcng putt.

He's 48th on tour in strokes gained, dude can putt. I could draw a line on the green and you wouldn't be in the top 48,000, you still have to hit the shot.
cb1919
AG
Yes, you still have to "hit the shot" but the books literally remove part of the game, reading a green. If you are so confident that PGA tour players can read greens so well, why do you care that they are taking green books away? From what you're telling me, it won't make a difference.
DGAG92
AG
cb1919 said:

Yes, you still have to "hit the shot" but the books literally remove part of the game, reading a green. If you are so confident that PGA tour players can read greens so well, why do you care that they are taking green books away? From what you're telling me, it won't make a difference.

I couldn't care less. The point I was making is that it is a tool they use to do their job more efficiently. Doesn't every job have "aids" that make it easier? Isn't someone else carrying their bag? Don't caddies read putts?
The Milkman
AG
Great. The game should be the most difficult at the highest level. These are the best players in the world, we don't need to allow them to make the game easier for themselves.
powerbelly
AG
Rubble said:

This is a bad sports point.
ORAggieFan
The Milkman said:

Great. The game should be the most difficult at the highest level. These are the best players in the world, we don't need to allow them to make the game easier for themselves.

Carry their own bags.

No metal woods

Smaller driver heads

Back to balata balls

I really don't care about green books, but your reasoning here is just awful.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.