Long Irons Off the Toe

1,997 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BoDog
DoubleE65
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm a low single digit hdcp and have really struggled missing long irons off the toe as of late. Any tips? Swing more from the inside? More body rotation? Sure is frustrating..
dcrewint
As you're coming from the inside I'd suggest as you make your move to the ball think that you're moving the club out more. That or don't hang back as long. This is obviously all w/o seeing your swing and using what I've gone through with my own swing.
DoubleE65
AG
Makes sense. I've really tried to focus more on swinging down the line with not much improvement.
wahoo0185
AG
simple fix- vary your distance from the ball and keep your head still!!
Aggie369
AG
Are your hands getting high through impact?
ETxAg07
This is typically my miss with long irons for me as well. For me it's wanting to jump on it to soon. Slightly over the top.
I try to focus on the feeling of the right shoulder staying back and working more under.

Short and medium irons will tend to be slight pull draw. Long irons will result in toe strikes.

Hard to say without seeing the swing but something to think about.

I will also addwith longer irons ppl tend to get the shoulder turn too flat causing a slightly over the top move.
powerbelly
AG
Put a ball and three tees in your left pocket. Problem solved.
JYDog90
AG
Not to hijack the thread, but it's related: what is your weight distribution at address? I've got mine about 60% on the balls of my feet but I think I recently heard Ian Baker Finch suggest more on heels.
Formerly Willy Wonka
CapCity12thMan
AG

Quote:

more on heels.

this is only gonna make the problem worse. Typically toe balls are a result of poor weight transfer to left side (assuming your RH). You might be hanging on you back foot a bit. I would suggest feeling more upright, bent at the waist and more on top of the ball (closer to ball if you have to) as this helps you get on your left side easier. When you are further from the ball, you tend to flatten out and stay on your back side more. Its subtle but enough to hit it slightly off the toe
oldschool87
AG
Had this problem every once in a while for a decade. Would not happen very often but when it did I had no idea why and was very frustrated.

Simple fix, issue is your leaning forward, its dropping the angle of the club so toe is headed down instead of up. Make sure you keep a little more weight on your heels and problem will go away. If you have seen Bryson or Kutcher, they raise there club up and lean back before they hit the ball, that action is exactly what your solving for...

Just stay back.
CapCity12thMan
AG

Quote:

Make sure you keep a little more weight on your heels and problem will go away.
cannot disagree more. Staying "back" on your heels is going to cause a two way miss. A lot of straight pushes to the right and then a lot of quick hooks to the left.

oldschool87
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

Quote:

Make sure you keep a little more weight on your heels and problem will go away.
cannot disagree more. Staying "back" on your heels is going to cause a two way miss. A lot of straight pushes to the right and then a lot of quick hooks to the left.

OK, what would I know...

DGAG92
AG
Orrrrrr, go see a PGA teaching pro, you cheap *******.
BoDog
AG
Go hit Cobra One Lengths and problem solved. Same plane. Same swing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.