Torrey - US Open

3,546 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Rubble
AgLA06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So Xander and Charley Hoffman are here early.

We're out here to see family and are having breakfast at The Grill before heading to the aquarium at Scripps. They're on the putting green and according to the officials Xander has been here a while.

Xander wants this one on his home turf. Maybe he finally breaks through.

Going to grab some swag after this bloody mary.

JCA1
AG
Am I the only one perplexed by the teed up ball on the putting green?
WhoopN06
Optical illusion.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Any MISIG's being used ?
Ag_07
AG
WhoopN06 said:

Optical illusion.

Sure looks like a ball on a tee with a shadow of the ball on the green.

Guessing it's some kind of drill
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Excited for this one. Rewatched 2008 final round and playoff the other day. One of my favorite US opens.

Apparently Xander was there in the crowd on 18 that final round... this will get repeated and beaten to death all week.
Forum Troll
AG
Sandals, I like it. Needs long hair again to complete the ensemble.
AgLA06
AG
JCA1 said:

They apparently share the same putting coach. I think he has it on the tee at first to line up the tee behind the hole and then puts the ball down to put. It's some type of alignment exercise. They have high speed camera's behind them on line as well. Every couple of puts they go talk it over while looking at the camera footage on a laptop.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
JCA1 said:

That's Patrick Reed's wayward tee shot, he's just taking relief on the putting green.
AgLA06
AG
So after they were done with the coach they were doing their own thing around the green. Xander was putting and Charley was hitting flop shots from the rough to the far side of the green. His first three were all within 18". It was fun to watch. (Second photo. Charley had already walked back onto the green from the right by the time I took photo.)

Then Xander bet Charley $100 he couldn't hole one in 3 shots or he owed him $20. Charley sunk it on the second. The fans dining on the patio went nuts and Charley gave Xander a hard time. Something along the lines of "top 10 money guy on the tour doesn't want to cough up $100".

Charley moved under the tree into the shade on the left for the bet. (First photo)

AgLA06
AG
Only downside was you couldn't buy swag. The normal pro shop was being converted to the scorer's room and the big tent store is only open during the tournament.

Completely bummed. My wife made reservations for The Grill after I mentioned we would leave the day before the tournament started so we could watch some practice and get gear. Oh well.
AgLA06
AG
Forum Troll said:

Sandals, I like it. Needs long hair again to complete the ensemble.

Charley was as laid back and cool as the vibe you get from him on TV.

Surprisingly, Xander was too. They acted like we would with bros talking crap and joking around (after being serious with the coaching session).
proudaggie02
AG
The burger is really good.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Got my swag last October when I played the North course.
Aggie369
AG
I'm surprised he's wearing sandals

Dude normally practices in bare feet
Matsui
AG
Awesome shots and info. Thanks for sharing. Fun to see these guys outside of the ropes.
NColoradoAG
AgLA06 said:

Only downside was you couldn't buy swag. The normal pro shop was being converted to the scorer's room and the big tent store is only open during the tournament.

Completely bummed. My wife made reservations for The Grill after I mentioned we would leave the day before the tournament started so we could watch some practice and get gear. Oh well.

Venmo me some $$$ and I'll get you some gear when I'm there Thursday.
AgLA06
AG
If you're serious, I might. My dad asked for a visor for Father's day.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I'm always shocked when I see these guys in shorts. I know it's what we all wear but just weird still.
NColoradoAG
AgLA06 said:

If you're serious, I might. My dad asked for a visor for Father's day.

Shoot me a PM.
Azul88
AG
N Colorado, I am so envious of you going. We had planned, but it's not happening.

It's the best tournament in most years in spite of the usga complaints.

Be sure and post pics!

Edited for typo.
Sazerac
AG
Cool story

Xander is my favorite young player
NColoradoAG
Azul88 said:

N Colorado, I am so envious of you going. We had planned, but it's not happening.

It's the best tournament in most years in spite of the usga complaints.

Be sure and post pics!

Edited for typo.

They canceled the original tickets id purchased back at Christmas when they decided reduced capacity was their plan. Pissed me off. Then the resale to USGA Members was when I was on a plane coming back to CO from the spring football game and I missed out. Finally decided a week ago I would hate myself if I sat in our rental house and watched the tournament live or on record when it was 15 minutes away. Figured they'll probably never have a US Open in Colorado so why not take advantage of the opportunity.
NColoradoAG
Looks like the USGA went in overnight and changed all their fan faq's and updated policies. I had hoped they'd do that. No masks for vaccinated people anywhere other than the shuttle from the parking lot. Only have to "verbally attest" to being vaccinated or having a negative test. Sounds like they also re thought their food and beverage policy.

Now I wonder if they'll go and sell a bunch more tickets at face value......would be a USGA thing to do
Aggie369
AG
They will mess something up
rak1693
AG
I'm flying that way on Friday to attend the third and fourth round. Looking forward to escaping this Texas heat!
NColoradoAG
rak1693 said:

I'm flying that way on Friday to attend the third and fourth round. Looking forward to escaping this Texas heat!

It's so nice here. I had forgotten how great the weather is along the coast in San Diego.

It's supposed to touch 100 today back at home in CO.
AgLA06
AG
Be careful. San Diego is under a heat advisory.

It might hit 85!
Azul88
AG
I suppose I should've anticipated the change in policy but with the state of California and the usga making the rules, I was skeptical that any change in the COVID nonsense would change. After going to Pebble and Shinnecock the last few years. I am hooked. We had a room but didn't buy tickets with the tenuous situation. Victory club offered tickets a few weeks ago but we deferred. I couldn't imagine walking Torrey (or any open course) with a mask on. Again, enjoy but I am so envious.
The Milkman
AG
AgLA06 said:

So after they were done with the coach they were doing their own thing around the green. Xander was putting and Charlie was hitting flop shots from the rough to the far side of the green. His first three were all within 18". It was fun to watch. (Second photo. Charlie had already walked back onto the green from the right by the time I took photo.)

Then Xander bet Charlie $100 he couldn't hole one in 3 shots or he owed him $20. Charlie sunk it on the second. The fans dining on the patio went nuts and Charlie gave Xander a hard time. Something along the lines of "top 10 money guy on the tour doesn't want to cough up $100".

Charlie moved under the tree into the shade on the left for the bet. (First photo)

Thats Charley with an EY. As a fellow -"ey" I feel the need to correct you
AgLA06
AG
I have no idea what you are talking about.
Aggie369
AG
You spelled his name ending in -ie

I guess he spells it ending in -ey....same as milkman
AgLA06
AG
Thanks. That didn't click for some reason. I instantly assumed he was talking about some dumb swing / alignment aid called an EY.

It ain't my fault his parents were on drugs when they filled out the birth certificate.
Aggie369
AG
Lol
AgLA06
AG
Xander is in the hunt.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.