Another club recommendation request.

1,400 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TXAg361
SquirrellyDan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not sure what my handicap is, but I can usually play close to bogie golf mid 90's, occasionally in the 80s but I rarely ever shoot over 100 unless it's a really tough course. I'm looking at some new (to me irons). On the list are Taylor Made sim max, TM m4 or 6, and I also found a good deal on some Callaway Epics which may be more club than I can handle. Any advice or suggestions for something different? All the review sites seem to promote all the same things, more like advertising.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Have you tried a MISIG first ? May not need new irons.
jgh85Ag
AG
See if you can find a used set of Rogue X by callaway. Or ping g400s.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
G Martin 87
AG
Here's a good place to start. These sets are from 2019, so you should be able to get 'em used.

https://mygolfspy.com/2019-most-wanted-super-game-improvement-iron/

https://mygolfspy.com/2019-most-wanted-game-improvement-iron/

Rogue X and Mizuno JPX 919 were rated highly. MyGolfSpy's testing looks at strokes gained, so the ratings aren't affected by marketing fluff.
khaos288
AG
https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/iron-sets/irons-2020-mavrik.html?cgid=iron-sets
Ag_07
AG
This is what happens anytime anyone asks for a club recommendation.

There's no real answer. Just go hit a few and see what you like best.

Don't have to buy from the big box store you hit at but go and hit what they have.
Trinity Ag
S
What do you play with now, and what do you like/dislike about them?

How far do you hit a 7 iron?

Can you hit a 5 iron OK?

Describe your swing:
- are you a picker or a digger?
- is your usual miss thin or fat?
- can't generate loft/carry?
- too much or not enough spin?
- Decent contact but Inconsistent distance
- want/need more distance
- do you tend to push/slice irons, or pull/hook them?

Are you looking to play more and improve your swing, or play/practice infrequently and just want to get the most out of what you have now?

Given that "just go hit some" or "get fitted for irons" are not the advice you are looking for, answering those questions above will help generate some options to start from.

Just save money in the budget for a MISIG.

MCAg09
AG
Mizuno JPXs are great clubs
DGAG92
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

Have you tried a MISIG first ? May not need new irons.

Just got mine.I'm 55 and its changed my game completely.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Ended up hitting the sim max and jpx 921 hot metals the other day. Loved them both, but really liked the classic look of the the mizunos. Apparently they're taking like 5-6 weeks to ship out custom sets...but I was able to find a brand new set with the +.5 length and 2 degree upright I needed from 2nd Swing Golf.

Went with the 5-pw with Nippon Modus 105 shafts. They'll be here in two day, can't wait!
TXAg361
AG
I shoot in the mid-90s most rounds. Was able to get a good deal on some M4s back in April and really like them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.