Northern Michigan Golf

1,769 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by snowaggie
eye-gor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will be visiting family in Charlevoix for a week in early July and looking for the "break away" day for golf. Looking at Arcadia Bluffs but the 2 hour drive may prove to be too much. Anything in the more immediate area that you would recommend?

**Update -- I am looking at Belvedere Golf Club. William Watson design that recently cracked the Top 100 Public Courses in US. Curious if anyone has played this in addition to any other recommendations. Thanks again.**
https://www.belvederegolfclub.com/

TIA
1872walker
Belvedere is a really good choice close to you. Arcadia Bluffs isn't worth that drive. If you're willing to venture out, look at Kingsley near Traverse City or Forest Dunes/The Loop in Roscommon.
DallasAggie89
AG
I'm leaving Saturday for a golf trip in Michigan. Playing Belvedere, Bay Harbor, Forest Dunes and Arcadia Bluffs.

Will report back when I return.
eye-gor
AG
Awesome, thank you both!
Cecil B. DeMille
AG
My wife's family is from Western Michigan and have played a decent amount of golf in Michigan, but not so much up north. I did go on a golf trip with her brother and some of his friends last year at a place called Shanty Creek. Doing it again this summer with a group of 12 They own 4 different 18 hole courses, but only two are worth playing, but they were quite nice last summer: Cedar River and The Legends. These courses are pretty cool though, definitely worth playing.

I believe they also just bought out a place called the Chief, which is supposed to be pretty nice too.

Anyway, these courses look to be about 45 mins from the town you're going to be in.

''he must have killed more men than Cecil B. DeMille''
VirginiaAg
AG
Lots of good courses up there. Bay Harbor is a good track (great views) and almost all of the courses at Boyne Highlands are good a little farther north. Short season but some great golf in the summer.
grego
AG
Played the original forest dunes course and the original Arcadia bluffs. Both great - depends on what you are looking for. Forest dunes is a traditional Michigan course - tree lined and lush. Arcadia bluffs is the polar opposite. Could basically be the 6th course at Bandon.
grego
AG
And if by some miracle Crystal Downs is an option - probably the best course I've ever played. Front 9 is absolutely incredible.
CoppellAg93
AG
Played up around that area several times in the last 5-6 years.

Check out this link - has flyovers of several courses ..

https://www.a-ga-ming.com/

A-Ga-Ming Sundance Course - probably my favorite in the area - was in amazing shape when I played it - but only got in 14 holes before a storm hit.

Antrim Dells - very tight course with lots of opportunities for lost balls - trust me, I know personally. Was my first round in a long time though so that didn't help. Would rank this at the bottom of the courses I've listed.

Charlevoix Country Club - another great course

Belvedere - nice course with very tough greens - tiny and major undulations

Bay Harbor - never had the chance to play this course - but supposedly amazing views of Lake Michigan - very pricey

Believe these are all within 30 minutes of Charlevoix. Enjoy !
Rlcoker
AG
Give True North a look. I haven't played it but I've heard good things about it. It's 45 minutes from Charlevoix.

https://www.truenorthgolf.com/

https://golfcoursegurus.com/reviews/true-north-golf-club/

Big Shoulders
Kinglsey is one of my favorite courses anywhere.

Crystal Downs is spectacular, but to say it is a little stuffy would be an epic understatement.

Forest Dunes is a blast.

I think Arcadia is a good course too, but I would put it fourth on this list.
grego
AG
Played those exact 4 and loved them all. My order would be:

Crystal
Kingsley
Arcadia
Forest dunes

Great trip. Super efficient to have that many great courses in the area. And all played completely different. Wish we had time to play the loop but didn't.

Highly underrated golf trip and great part of the country.
DallasAggie89
AG
eye-gor said:

I will be visiting family in Charlevoix for a week in early July and looking for the "break away" day for golf. Looking at Arcadia Bluffs but the 2 hour drive may prove to be too much. Anything in the more immediate area that you would recommend?

**Update -- I am looking at Belvedere Golf Club. William Watson design that recently cracked the Top 100 Public Courses in US. Curious if anyone has played this in addition to any other recommendations. Thanks again.**
https://www.belvederegolfclub.com/

TIA

Just played Belvedere and it was in great shape. Old style golf course that was a great value when I played at twilight for $50.

Only issue was they are in a dry area and do not sell alcohol. May not matter to you. Only drinks available were from a Coke machine.

Bay Harbor is close as well and is a fantastic course. It was around $250 for a morning round but conditions were perfect and the views are great. If you play there do the Links/Quarry.
progress
AG
slight thread jack!
folks just purchased a home in Harbor Springs

anyone skied at Boyne Highlands? any good ag connections up there?
Petosky area?
79TAMU79
AG
Bay Harbor Quarry/LInks is exceptional. Well worth the green fees.
Treetops is also not too far and has a great selection of courses.
snowaggie
Lots of great golf 5 months of the year. Hitting balls into your sketchy net in the basement and dinging the drywall the other 7 months. Ask me how I know.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.