Tour 18 DFW

2,820 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by nortex97
mavsfan4ever
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone played this lately? I've read online that the greens were in awful shape earlier this year. Are they still awful, and how bad are we talking? Unplayable, or just not as nice as you'd prefer?

Father in law is coming into town this weekend, so thought he'd enjoy playing Old American on Saturday and then Tour 18 on Sunday. We played the Tribute last time he came in and he loved it. So if the greens at Tour 18 are just bad, and aren't unplayable, I'll probably stick with it.

Sounds like Old American is having a few issues with the lake but should be in decent shape, according to the guy on the phone. And it's cart path only due to the LPGA event coming up.
Diet Cokehead
AG
It's been 3-4 year since i played Tour 18, but back then the greens were unplayable. Glass like and not in a good way. Never been back.
Rubble
AG
It's been a piece of **** for about 10 years. Go play Bridlewood instead.

Greens are concrete. Haven't played there when the bunkers actually have sand in them in years. The "nostalgia" effect of what it used to be is gone. You can get a tee time for Saturday morning on Friday night, if that tells you anything.

But if you're wanting to spend $70 and look at big ass houses while playing golf, I highly suggest it. Otherwise, go play coyote ridge or Indian creek if you want to enjoy a round of golf. Last time I played T18 my dad left after 13 holes because it sucked so bad.

I'd rather spend $20 and enjoy myself at lake park in Lewisville than that POS.
_lefraud_
AG
But can you tell us how you really feel about Tour18?
Rubble
AG
In short, it's sucks
oldschool87
AG
They closed the course and redid all the greens. I have not played it. But the owner, owns the Trails also. I live there and have talked to her about several things.

Would be very interested in conditions after that and the rain.
Rubble
AG
oldschool87 said:

They closed the course and redid all the greens. I have not played it. But the owner, owns the Trails also. I live there and have talked to her about several things.

The greens still suck after the redo.
FirefightAg
AG
Should have played it long ago. I know that doesn't help for this weekend but it hasn't been what it was for awhile.

As recommended play somewhere else. Alot of courses are struggling after the freeze. Bear creek came out pretty well either course is in my opinion in one of the best shape in DFW
mavsfan4ever
AG
Thanks guys. I've already played Tour 18 back when it was in decent shape. I just know my father in law will get a kick out of playing holes he knows bc he loved the tribute last time (but tribute was in great shape). That's why I booked it, even though it's a fairly long drive for me.

He lives in NW Florida and plays golf all the time so wanted to book something that's a little unique and that he can't find in Florida. Cowboys is fully booked or that would be a good option. So I may still go ahead and try out Tour 18 and set his expectations ahead of time. If Tour 18 is in bad shape for the money but not unplayable then he may still enjoy it. But if Tour 18 is in truly terrible condition, I could switch to something else. We need an early tee time Sunday so there isn't a ton to pick from, but I really like Tangle Ridge and they have openings.

Indian Creek also has some openings so that would be a good option too along with Tangle Ridge if we switch.
Trucker 96
Looking at recent google reviews, it seems like it's in pretty terrible shape (maybe worst ever), but there are also some that didn't seem to mind it and say some greens are okay while some are pretty bad. Unplayable is kind of in the eye of the beholder.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea that's why I couldn't tell much from the reviews online. I didn't see any recent pictures. Some people gave it good/decent reviews so I'm wondering if the bad reviews are from people who buy Tour 18 as a special round and are expecting everything to be in tip too condition and are then upset when it's not. Or if it's truly that bad.

There are tons of bad reviews, so I know it's not in good shape. But the wide range of reviews is confusing. If it's in pretty good shape with all the rain but the greens are just pretty bad bc they redid them recently, I'm probably good with that. But if the greens are complete dirt then that may change things.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
played it twice for work over the past week. for the money, find somewhere else. in addition to the usual beat up greens (seriously, has anyone ever repaired a ball mark on that course ever?), you've got several greens that are basically 90% sand, half the bunkers on the course are washed out or full of water and tadpoles and some of the fairways got eaten up as well. they're still charging their full price so spend that money elsewhere. not worth the drive/price.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Ah, Google reviews actually did have some recent pics. The review websiteI looked at yesterday didnt. It looks decent enough. I think we will probably give it a go.
Trucker 96
To be fair, after this weekend, everyone's bunkers are **** right now
FirefightAg
AG
I guess just go and be disappointed, but sounds like you're prepared for that. That's also why they have tee times when No one else does. Texas Rangers course would be good too they held a Korn ferry event so its gotta be good
mavsfan4ever
AG
ruddyduck said:

played it twice for work over the past week. for the money, find somewhere else. in addition to the usual beat up greens (seriously, has anyone ever repaired a ball mark on that course ever?), you've got several greens that are basically 90% sand, half the bunkers on the course are washed out or full of water and tadpoles and some of the fairways got eaten up as well. they're still charging their full price so spend that money elsewhere. not worth the drive/price.
Thanks for the info, didn't see this review when I made my last post.
mavsfan4ever
AG
FirefightAg said:

I guess just go and be disappointed, but sounds like you're prepared for that. That's also why they have tee times when No one else does. Texas Rangers course would be good too they held a Korn ferry event so its gotta be good
Yea, the real question is would my FIL rather play a unique course like Tour 18 that's in rough shape or a more generic course that's in better shape. I'm not worried about not getting my money's worth, as long as he will enjoy it more than another course. So I'll probably stick with Tour 18 because it's at least something different from what he can play at home. Don't see Tangle Ridge or Indian Creek really moving the needle much for him even if they are in good shape. I overestimated how quickly Cowboys Golf Club would fill up, and the times at Rangers Golf Club don't work for us on Sunday.

I may be regretting sticking with Tour 18 come Sunday morning and will report back here after we play. But at least Old American should be in pretty good shape on Saturday (LPGA tourney is at the end of the month).
_lefraud_
AG
Where do you live?
mavsfan4ever
AG
Dallas, M Street area. So not a ton close to where I am, and I'm pretty centrally located. I'm used to meeting friends all over DFW to play. That's why the course options and locations are so all over the map.
DeBoss
AG
Go to Texas Rangers
mavsfan4ever
AG
Thanks for everyone's input. Quick update in case anyone is thinking of playing these courses in near term.

Played Old American Saturday. I had never played it before. It was in decent shape but I'm guessing it's normally much better. They have a ton of work to get it ready for the LPGA tourney later this month. Greens were pretty good but there was standing water everywhere, even in fairways, and the lake is coming into the course on multiple holes, as in coming into the fairway some holes and near the green other holes. Some dead patches in the fairway but not too bad. Overall, not bad shape, but not worth the money if you are looking for value. But still enjoyed it and I'd like to play it under normal conditions to compare.

Played Tour 18 today. Fairways and tee boxes were in great shape, except for hole 2 which was bad everywhere. It visually looks good, everything is green and plush. The bunkers were awful, other than the Amen Corner holes, where the bunkers looked great. We just played all bunkers as ground under repair bc they were bad (but a lot of places are like that with all the rain). The greens on the front 9 were patchy and rough (they warned about them on the first tee), the back 9 looked better. But all greens were hard as a rock. Full wedges and all chips would release 20-30 feet with no check/spin at all. Took a long time to get used to that. The putting wasn't awful after the first few holes but not good. Overall, it's fine if you go into it knowing the greens aren't good. I can see how some people would be very disappointed if they didn't know that going in.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Rubble said:

It's been a piece of **** for about 10 years. Go play Bridlewood instead.

Greens are concrete.

Concrete is a great way to describe them. I thought it may be bc they recently redid them. But maybe not if that was your experience too.

And bridlewood looked great from the road. I've never played it bc it's such a far drive for me but may try it out sometime.
Diet Cokehead
AG
oldschool87 said:

Funny, because i live near the Trails too and it's a real POS as well. That owner must specialize in crappy golf courses.
oldschool87
AG
Diet Cokehead said:

oldschool87 said:

Funny, because i live near the Trails too and it's a real POS as well. That owner must specialize in crappy golf courses.
No excuse either. I know all the guys up there, they have done 200 rounds a day since covid started... Making money hand over fist.

She has no excuses!!!!!!!!!!
Strategy
AG
I would play these courses:

Grapevine
Bridlewood
Champions Circle
Sky Creek Ranch
ChoppinDs40
AG
Shoulda played Texas Star. Or Stephen's Park or Cedar Crest (PGA championship was played there).
mavsfan4ever
AG
Love Texas star (one of my favorites in dfw). Also like stephen's park. But I was just wanting to take him to something that was a little different than a typical course.

I know some people like it, but I really don't like cedar crest. I used to play it a lot, but don't play it much anymore. I'm not a fan of a lot of holes out there.
ChoppinDs40
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Love Texas star (one of my favorites in dfw). Also like stephen's park. But I was just wanting to take him to something that was a little different than a typical course.

I know some people like it, but I really don't like cedar crest. I used to play it a lot, but don't play it much anymore. I'm not a fan of a lot of holes out there.
it's good for a one time thing for an out of towner - super old course in Dallas. Lots of elevation.

Ever taken him to the Brickyard south of town?
mavsfan4ever
AG
Haven't taken him there. But I've played there quite a bit bc I can always grab a last minute tee time there when other places are full.
TMfrisco
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

What holes don't you like? I think it is a better layout than Stevens by far.
nortex97
AG
oldschool87 said:

Diet Cokehead said:

oldschool87 said:

No excuse either. I know all the guys up there, they have done 200 rounds a day since covid started... Making money hand over fist.

She has no excuses!!!!!!!!!!
Absolutely true. Carts are a disaster too. She just puts nothing into the course/facility.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.